Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Wanda Barzee to be released from prison (Elizabeth Smart kidnapper)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-11-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She'll be released September 19th.

Fuck this psycho bitch. She should rot in a cell for the rest of her life.

Concurrent sentences are such bullshit.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/11/us/wa...ing/index.html
Old 09-11-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Wanda Barzee to be released from prison (Elizabeth Smart kidnapper)

Yeah, I've never understood the logic behind concurrent sentences, which are almost the rule rather than the exception up here in Canada. They're akin to saying, "Hey, buddy, get your two crimes for the price of one over here!".

I had no idea this bitch had even a sniff at a release. I don't know or remember an awful lot about the case (and didn't read the link). Was she under the spell or thumb of the husband? In that case, it would be defensible to release her.
Old 09-11-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Google Marybeth Tinning. Bitch killed eight babies, her own children, and just got paroled after 31 years. She should have fucking swung.
Old 09-11-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Just came here to say bitch.
Old 09-12-18, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I seem to remember it was 2002 or 2003 when Elizabeth Smart disappeared. So, parolled after only 14 or 15 years? Ridiculous. Barzee should have been placed before the firing squad, but since she was not, 99 years would have been time enough at last to serve. Probably released due to "old age"

Perhaps she'll be released and justly liquidated by somebody who seeks proper vigilante justice for the terrible ordeal that Smart was made to endure. I'm just glad that Smart wasn't killed at the time, and obviously is doing well today in spite of the kidnapping and terror she experienced. Something like that has one suffering from PTSD their entire life...
Old 09-12-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Yeah, I've never understood the logic behind concurrent sentences, which are almost the rule rather than the exception up here in Canada. They're akin to saying, "Hey, buddy, get your two crimes for the price of one over here!".

I had no idea this bitch had even a sniff at a release. I don't know or remember an awful lot about the case (and didn't read the link). Was she under the spell or thumb of the husband? In that case, it would be defensible to release her.
Yeah, it's infuriating to see it happen, and you're right that it seems to be SOP here.

She likely was under the thumb of her husband. They're both religious nutjobs.

However, she knew what she was doing, so I don't excuse her in the least. She also refuses to cooperate with any request for psychiatric evaluation. There's no telling what her actual mental state is, nor how she's going to behave when released. Apparently she still 'follows' her husband, though I can't find the reference for that.
Old 09-12-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is garbage. There should be zero chance at parole with what Smart had to endure.
Old 09-12-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found the reference to her still following the main nutjob:

Although Barzee turned on Mitchell at trial, she still follows his false teachings, her sister, Evelyn Camp, told KUTV after Barzee skipped out on her own parole hearing in June. She totes around Mitchell's handwritten “bible,” Camp said, and sends letters full of scripture almost weekly. Apparently, she is still convinced that she is the “Mother of Zion.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime...=.2cefc4c6f2f7
Old 09-12-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Although Barzee turned on Mitchell at trial, she still follows his false teachings, her sister, Evelyn Camp, told KUTV after Barzee skipped out on her own parole hearing in June.
How the fuck can someone skip out on their own parole hearing and still get parole?!
Old 09-12-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe she has served her full sentence (yeah, what a joke), so she's not being paroled.
Old 09-12-18, 02:05 PM

I believe she has served her full sentence (yeah, what a joke), so she's not being paroled.
I'm not saying that is incorrect, but it seems odd to me that there was a parole hearing in June if she was scheduled to be released anyway in September.

Edited to add... Nope. From the article:
Elizabeth Smart said Tuesday that the Utah parole board's decision to release one of the people who abducted her was surprising and "incomprehensible."

Wanda Eileen Barzee wasn't expected to be released for at least another five years.
Old 09-12-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It took Brazee's case 9 years in court arguing to get a conviction.

Still, due to the age of Smart, these fucks should have BOTH been given life in prison.
Old 09-12-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
I'm not saying that is incorrect, but it seems odd to me that there was a parole hearing in June if she was scheduled to be released anyway in September.

Edited to add... Nope. From the article:
I see what you're saying, but the five years was apparently due to a miscalculation in her term, related to the concurrency of her sentences. Maybe in June, it hadn't been discovered?
Old 09-13-18, 09:32 AM

That's crazy. She should have gotten a life sentence with no possibility of parole.
Old 09-13-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^100%

But, as also happened with the Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka case, locally, they 'need' the wives to testify against the husbands, so they give them a deal.

Homolka was even worse than Barzee, as she was an active participant in at least 3 rapes, 2 kidnappings, 2 murders and the drugging/rape/overdose death of her own sister. Sentence? 12 years. Anyway, I could go on about how fucked up this was, but it will do no good.
Old 09-13-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^100%

But, as also happened with the Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka case, locally, they 'need' the wives to testify against the husbands, so they give them a deal.

Homolka was even worse than Barzee, as she was an active participant in at least 3 rapes, 2 kidnappings, 2 murders and the drugging/rape/overdose death of her own sister. Sentence? 12 years. Anyway, I could go on about how fucked up this was, but it will do no good.
Plus, if the cops had done a better job of searching their house, they would have found enough evidence so that they wouldn't have had to work out a deal with Homolka. Of course, they found the videotapes after the deal was already made. It's scary that psychopath is now free and is around kids, including her own, but at least Bernardo should hopefully never see outside again.
Old 09-13-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^Yep. That's exactly why I put 'need' in quotes. If they hadn't fucked up, to start with, they wouldn't have had to make a deal.

And with Barzee, it's another head shaker. Why would they 'need' her to testify against her husband when Elizabeth Smart was alive, and could do so? Perhaps for the attempted kidnapping of her cousin, but you'd think it'd be more appropriate to get full convictions on both of them regarding their crimes against Elizabeth.
Old 09-15-18, 04:19 PM

What bullshit. This fucking animal should be in the prison for the rest of her life, or executed. She ruined a young woman's life irreparably. She deserves to be treated like a rabid dog, and should never have been released from prison.

This type of preferential treatment just proves that women get lighter sentences than men - for the same crimes. If she were a man & had done this, they would almost certainly have locked her up & thrown away the key.
Old 09-15-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I would have thought a kidnapping charge gets at least 20 years, but not anymore. If she kidnaps another girl again, won't the judges and prosecutor feel great about themselves.

Look at the case though. It was so legally screwed. It was fought in court for several years, with psychologists, and whoever. Just a disgraceful justice to Amy Smart's experience.
Old 09-15-18, 07:26 PM

An update:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/n...152732273.html

So, based on this article - and I quote:

.....agents have found a place for Barzee to live when she starts her five-year supervised release....

He declined comment on whether she will be in a private home or a facility, but she "will not be homeless," he said.

So, this woman will have room and board after she gets out of prison?! At 72 years old, I doubt she'd be working anywhere. What kind of bullshit is this?! This piece of garbage commits a heinous crime, and she's now going to have a place to live - paid for by the taxpayers?! Wow. The justice system in the country is extremely fucked up - but we all already knew that.....

Last edited by TheDude; 09-18-18 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From that article:
"Repeat violent sex offenders can be civilly committed in the federal system, but that requires a series of evaluations and a judge's decision that they pose an imminent risk, Anderson said."

So participating in violent sex assaults, nearly daily, over a 9 month period doesn't qualify as a repeat?

"Barzee's lawyer has maintained she's not a threat." JFC. Why even put that in the article. Is her lawyer expected to say she is a threat, and shouldn't be released?

It seems as though the sentencing should have included conditions based on required psychological care and evaluation.
Old 09-17-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Your definition of repeat offender is getting mixed up with multiple offenses.
Old 09-17-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, good point. I guess I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be any different, when it comes to sentencing. It should've been a conviction of every occurrence of assault.
Old 09-18-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess being a sex offender and child molester is getting to be rather attractive profession. She is going to have a better retirement (free lodging, free medical care, free attorney, and probably monthly stipend also) than those of us WASPs who've worked our asses off to become upper middle class. Our retirement will be a struggle with outrageous cost of living, lousy and egregriously expensive medical costs, and no stipend (Social security will have run out of money).

Wonderful country we live in where sex offenders and child molesters are treated better than hard-working, law abiding citizens.
Old 09-18-18, 09:01 PM

Agreed - this piece of fucking garbage should have been either: 1) Kept in prison for the rest of her life, or 2) Executed. The ultimate decision should have been: which option will cost the taxpayers less money?! I.e., in some cases I've heard that executing someone may actually cost the taxpayers more than keeping someone in jail for the rest of their lives - obviously a lot of this depends on how long a person lives.