Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bad reaction to red wine?

Old 05-06-18, 05:51 PM

Bad reaction to red wine?

I'm almost fifty years old and noticed the last few years when I drink red wine, it sometimes really kicks my ass. It's almost like having a hangover. But this is just a few hours after drinking, and is a much stronger reaction than I would expect from one or two glasses.

I googled it and found others saying the same thing: As they get older, their body reacts badly to red wine. There's some speculation about a reaction to the tannins in the wine. Another article lists a several possible causes: A reaction to bacteria/yeast protein (red wine supposedly has higher levels), or a reaction to egg white or gelatin proteins, used to clarify red wines.
Old 05-06-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Bad reaction to red wine?

Are you taking any new medications that you werent before? Wine or any alcohol can become more potent when you are taking certain prescription or OTC medications.
Old 05-06-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's always sulfites. I have to avoid red wine because of them, and now I'm finding some white wines irritate my bladder.

As we get older, our body reacts differently to irritants, it seems to be inevitable.
Old 05-06-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
There's always sulfites..
This is what I would suspect more than anything

If that is the case you need to be careful with any medications that also have them (more than you may think)
Old 05-07-18, 06:06 AM

I don't take any medications. Have my doubts about sulfites because white wines don't have the same effect.
Old 05-07-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. As I've gotten older, I've noticed that if I drink a lot of wine the night before (more than just a couple of glasses), I will have take a really bad shit the next morning. I would definitely equate it to a hangover.
Old 05-07-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suspect the truth is that, as we have gotten older, the wine has gotten crappier. The only way to test this theory is to go to France and get some proper wine, to compare results.
Old 05-07-18, 09:43 AM

My wife has a strong reaction to some wines. For a while we thought it was just Reds but after process of elimination the only two she can drink are Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon. So I wouldn't just experiment with red/white but with different types.
Old 05-07-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The safest option would be to just switch to tequila.
Old 05-07-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I don't take any medications. Have my doubts about sulfites because white wines don't have the same effect.
Are you allergic to dried fruits or even orange juice? Second thing, are you asthmatic or have any breathing issues.

Some say red wines have more SO2 than white wines. I hear arguments occasionally about it, but who knows for sure. Depends on the winemaker, I would assume, as well as region. However, histamines are more present in red wines, so a trick I have for friends who get headaches when drinking wine...is to take an anti-histamine before drinking it.

Side note: Red wines also go under a process called Malo-Lactic Fermentation (MLF). Most white wines do not, so this could be a possibility.

There's also the DMDC thing, which a few wine-gurus have warned me about, but I don't drink wine enough to have that problem. I don't know enough about it, but from what I remember, it's another chemical put in certain wines.

Age? Nothing to do with age, imo. However, as we age, histamine levels can change in people over time. But age across the board? I won't go that far.
Old 05-07-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My wife has bad allergic reactions to domestic wines - and she suspects sulfites.
Imported wine - no problems.
Old 05-07-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

SO2 is in all wine. The only difference is possibly the amount of the SO2. But I suspect the region is more to do with the issue than the sulfite issue, like you said, an overseas wine versus a domestic one. Could be the domestics use way more SO2 than imports, but you'd have to know the ppm on the wines. Also, whether additional chemicals are added to the domestic wines.
Old 05-07-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to say I’ve never seen the sulfite warning on any white wine, only reds.
Old 05-07-18, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
My wife has a strong reaction to some wines. For a while we thought it was just Reds but after process of elimination the only two she can drink are Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon. So I wouldn't just experiment with red/white but with different types.
I like this idea. Get bottles of as many different kinds of wine as I can, to see which ones do and don't agree with me. When my wife complains, I'll tell her I'm doing it for science!