Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Meatball-gate: Swedish meatballs actually Turkish

Old 05-03-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meatball-gate: Swedish meatballs actually Turkish

Shocking, SHOCKING, international bombshell:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ls-are-turkish

'My whole life has been a lie': Sweden admits meatballs are Turkish
Turks don’t mince their words as they relish news that Ikea’s famous dish is not Swedish

Turks have reacted with undisguised glee to what many have described as an official – and certainly long overdue – confession from Stockholm that Sweden’s signature national dish is, in fact, Turkish.

“Those famous Swedish meatballs you get in Ikea are actually Turkish, admits Swedish government,” tweeted TRT World, Turkey’s publicly funded international television news channel.

“Swedish meatballs originally Turkish dish: Swedish government,” said the headline in Hürriyet Daily News, after Sweden’s official national Twitter account, @swedense, came clean last weekend.

“Swedish meatballs are actually based on a recipe King Charles XII brought home from Turkey in the early 18th century,” the Swedish account revealed abruptly and for no immediately apparent reason. “Let’s stick to the facts!”

Turkey’s Anadoly agency seized the chance to speak to Annie Mattson, of the literature department at Uppsala University, who confirmed that after losing a key battle against Russia in 1709, Charles and the remnants of his army took refuge in what is now Moldova, then part of the Ottoman empire.

Once known as “the Lion of the North” and “Swedish Meteor” for his early military prowess, Charles, who acceded to the throne in 1697 at the age of 15, had bitten off rather more than he could chew by taking on Russia, and spent the following six years in exile in and around present-day Turkey.

Having acquired a taste for the local cuisine, he returned to Sweden in 1714 with the recipe not just for köfte, the spiced lamb and beef meatballs that in time became the Swedish staple köttbullar, but also for the popular stuffed cabbage dish now known in Sweden as kåldolmar.

Charles, who died in 1718 when he was shot in the head while attacking Danish-occupied Norway, is also considered responsible for importing and popularising the Turkish habit of drinking coffee, which became so widespread in Sweden in the later 18th century that King Gustav III briefly banned it.

In Turkey’s meatball capital, Inegöl, this week, a local chef, İbrahim Veysel, told the Dogan news agency it was an honour that the Turkish dish should have become “an example to different cuisines all over the world”.

Others were less happy. Serdar Çam, president of the Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency, complained that Ikea, which sells 2m meatballs a day in its in-store restaurants, .

And one forlorn – though presumably tongue-in-cheek – Swede lamented that the news had robbed life of its meaning. “My whole life,” , “has been a lie.”
Other revelations include:

1. "børk-børk-børk!" is actually derived from a Turkish expression that translates roughly as "bon appetit".
2. The "Swedish Chef" is actually just a filthy Kurd in a funny hat.
3. A møøse did not once bite my sister. It was a large reindeer.
Old 05-03-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Meatball-gate: Swedish meatballs actually Turkish

"Bollocks! I'm going for a walk."
Old 05-03-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hardist hit - Ikea?
Old 05-03-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Hardist hit - Ikea?

I've only been to Ikea once-- on a delightful day trip via the Ikea ferry in NYC. I was doing Whole 30, so I was so sad not to get to have their TV Dinner Swedish Meatballs.

This is actually pretty rough for Swedish cuisine, because it means lutfisk is a bigger percentage of what they're famous for.
Old 05-03-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I’m going off the top of my head, but I think the dish that we colloquially call “Swedish Meatballs” is a sweet dish served after dinner. IKEA serves actual hot meatballs simply because of the connection in pop culture between “Sweden” and “meatballs”. They do not serve a proper rendition of the actual dish.

Sort of like Wienerschnitzel is actually a breaded veal cutlet and has nothing to do with hotdogs.
Old 05-03-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

Sort of like Wienerschnitzel is actually a breaded veal cutlet and has nothing to do with hotdogs.
Similarly to the "meat" in the IKEA meatballs having little to do with actual meat.
Old 05-03-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

[teaching moment] Wienerschnitzel is literally "cutlet prepared in the Viennese style". The word wiener itself is a shortened form of Wienerwurst, "sausage prepared in the Viennese style".
Old 05-03-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Also, we owe the various gyros and schwarmas and tacos and such to the granddaddy Turkish doner kebab.

Thank you ancient Turks!
Old 05-03-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Also, we owe the various gyros and schwarmas and tacos and such to the granddaddy Turkish doner kebab.
And the best ones are in...Munich! That said, I still salivate thinking of all the amazing food I had in Istanbul. I had no idea how good Turkish cuisine was until that trip and now we hit up local spots in DC regularly. Alas, the one that is walking distance from my house is mediocre.
Old 05-03-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m going off the top of my head, but I think the dish that we colloquially call “Swedish Meatballs” is a sweet dish served after dinner. IKEA serves actual hot meatballs simply because of the connection in pop culture between “Sweden” and “meatballs”. They do not serve a proper rendition of the actual dish.

Wait, what? Swedish Meatballs are served after dinner? Even before I had ever heard of ikea it was basically meatballs in gravy as a main course.
Old 05-03-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never been to an Ikea and I'm fairly sure I've only had Swedish Meatballs as an appetizer.
Old 05-03-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, what? Swedish Meatballs are served after dinner? Even before I had ever heard of ikea it was basically meatballs in gravy as a main course.
I have never encountered a "Swedish meatball" dish in my life that wasn't a hearty main dish pretty much devoid of sweetness. In fact, when I was in college, the Budget Gourmet version was my go-to frozen dinner. You would occasionally see them on restaurant menus and even my high school cafeteria served them from time to time.

I'm going to take this as authoritative:

https://sweden.se/culture-traditions...ood-meatballs/

Sure looks more or less like what IKEA serves. The only sweet is the lingonberry on the side (which IKEA also does).
Old 05-03-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm going off of my head to say that whenever my mom said we were having steak for dinner, she served ice-cream, and it enraged me.
Old 05-03-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Great news. Now they can serve them for free.
Old 05-03-18, 03:48 PM

Sounds like the Swedes can be sued for cultural appropriation.
Old 05-03-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-03-18, 04:19 PM

Pretty soon the French are going to admit that French fries are actually American and not French cuisine.
Old 05-03-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, Canadian Bacon might not be from Canada?

And the Virgin Islands are really full of... them?
Old 05-03-18, 05:35 PM

The Canadians probably lied about those mints too, and the Jordan's probably lied about their almonds. We probably shouldn't trust the Australians claim about their licorice.
Old 05-03-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Turkish food is pretty damn good. This is not surprising.
Old 05-03-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, up until a few years ago, I figured it was probably some kind of sausage (probably a gross one like a blood sausage) and sauerkraut.

Then, on an episode of The Amazing Race they had to eat Weinerschnitzel, and it looked damned tasty.

Been trying to find a restaurant near me that serves it, but can't find one. You'd think with all of the damned German immigrants around me there would be one.
Old 05-03-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Pretty soon the French are going to admit that French fries are actually American and not French cuisine.
I’ve heard claim that they were invented in Belgium. But I’m not sure that’s true.

I had my wires crossed about the meatball desert (and Martin Scorsese Letterman appearances), I’ve been a little off today. But there is some kind of Swedish desert that is lots of balls.
Old 05-03-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found it. Chokladbollar

They’re like Schwety Balls.

http://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-f...hocolate-balls

I said I was going off the top of my head.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-03-18 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not Lamb Fries?
Old 05-03-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
So, Canadian Bacon might not be from Canada?
This is a secret so don't tell anyone!

Spoiler:
It is from Canada but it does not come from pigs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.