Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?
Yes!
4.76%
Hell nah!
71.43%
Maybe
20.63%
Twikoff got the check
3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 180 Posts

I was at a chinese restaurant and I heard a guy tell his buddy "hey they are going to remove YouTube off the air man, and you have to pay to watch it".

I think he was talking about the FCC net neutrality crap that will change things around.

Which made me think of the question...would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

As for me my answer is HELL NO. I could care less about YouTube even though I have gotten some enjoyment out of it but not to the point where it will change my life or steer me to boredom if I no longer have access to it.
Old 01-03-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 723 Likes on 499 Posts
Re: Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

fffuck no
Old 01-03-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Nah. The only thing I really use it for are movie trailers and music videos, and I imagine if the service turned to pay only that movie studios would find another avenue to distribute movie trailers. Like Apple Quicktime!
Old 01-03-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 554 Posts

I don't pay to watch TV. Why would I pay to watch a small choppy video?
Old 01-03-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I pay $5/mo for youtube red.
Old 01-03-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I hardly watch it now for free. Can’t imagine I would miss it much if it went to a pay site.
Old 01-03-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

It would depend on how much. I would pay $5 a month, but not anything more than that. I have a few people that I subscribe to on YouTube and watch their content frequently. I usually watch YouTube via my Roku in the living room when I'm bored.
Old 01-03-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 635 Likes on 445 Posts

Simple. Hell no.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Why would I pay to watch a small choppy video?
What's it like in 2005? Did you like Revenge of the Sith? I can't believe Padme just lost the will to live. That doesn't even make sense with what Leia said in Retun of the Jedi.
Old 01-03-18, 08:28 PM

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I pay $5/mo for youtube red.
I pay $10 a month for Youtube Red. How are you getting it for $5?

I watch Youtube every day on my TV, so it's worth $10/month to get rid of all the commercials.
Old 01-03-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts

As a music fan, I love YT. Lots of concert footage, older promo videos and musician interviews, etc. I've found video clips that I never thought I'd see again in a million years. Just for that I'd throw them a few bucks a month (but admittedly, not much more than that).
Old 01-03-18, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts

Why would I pay to watch a small choppy video?
I've seen some great HD video footage on YouTube that looks very good even on my 70" TV.
Old 01-03-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post

I watch Youtube every day on my TV, so it's worth $10/month to get rid of all the commercials.
This.
Old 01-03-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I don't pay to watch TV. Why would I pay to watch a small choppy video?
Did you just wake up from 2001?

YouTube now has HD and 4K video. Many of the videos on there are professionally produced with high end camera equipment and graphics.
Old 01-03-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

There was a deal where you could gift Google play music and YouTube red for half price, so $5 for a month. I gifted myself 5 years worth of Google Play Music /YouTube red.
Old 01-03-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk God

There’s a lot of great content on YouTube if you know what you’re looking for.

I’ve used it for travel videos, tech videos, reviews, demonstrations. Not everything on YouTube is attention seeking idiots, trailers, reaction videos, and music videos.

I’m currently on a free trial of YouTube Red and while I’ve enjoyed not having ads, I’m not sure I have the budget to pay the $10 per month for it. I already pay for Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access and Amazon Prime for content. That’s already close to $45 per month for that alone.

I watch YouTube all the time for the content I’m interested in and need for research, but I think I can deal it’s short commercials.
Old 01-03-18, 09:11 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

What Nick said.
Old 01-03-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
As a music fan, I love YT. Lots of concert footage, older promo videos and musician interviews, etc. I've found video clips that I never thought I'd see again in a million years. Just for that I'd throw them a few bucks a month (but admittedly, not much more than that).
Same here.
Old 01-03-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 520 Likes on 419 Posts

Hell no. The signal to noise ratio on Youtube is ridiculously low as it is, maybe 5% of the content is actually useful, and I'm being more than generous.

I'd sooner pay an ingenious hacker to figure out how to get some free hacked accounts than pay another colossal monster conglamorate (= Google = Youtube, my ISP, et al) a dime of my hard-earned cash.
Old 01-03-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 635 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Hell no. The signal to noise ratio on Youtube is ridiculously low as it is, maybe 5% of the content is actually useful, and I'm being more than generous.
Oh it's gotta be waaaay less than 5%. 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute according to Google.
Old 01-03-18, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Iíve used it for travel videos, tech videos, reviews, demonstrations. Not everything on YouTube is attention seeking idiots, trailers, reaction videos, and music videos.
I was a big fan of old school Travel Channel, Food Network and TechTV. Back then, the Travel Channel would actually visit interesting places around the world. Food Network had cooking shows with recipes that normal people could make at home. And TechTV had a lot of fun tech/gaming related shows.

But these days, Travel Channel is just guys traveling to local diners and stuffing their faces. Food Network is full of chef competitions with food I would never make. And TechTV is long gone.

Youtube is full of excellent travel, cooking and tech/gaming shows. Some of them are professionally produced. But these days, even the amateur stuff looks professional. People really put a lot of effort into making interesting content that looks good.
Old 01-03-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I was a big fan of old school Travel Channel, Food Network and TechTV. Back then, the Travel Channel would actually visit interesting places around the world. Food Network had cooking shows with recipes that normal people could make at home. And TechTV had a lot of fun tech/gaming related shows.

But these days, Travel Channel is just guys traveling to local diners and stuffing their faces. Food Network is full of chef competitions with food I would never make. And TechTV is long gone.

Youtube is full of excellent travel, cooking and tech/gaming shows. Some of them are professionally produced. But these days, even the amateur stuff looks professional. People really put a lot of effort into making interesting content that looks good.
Agree. There is some really great travel content on YouTube as opposed to Travel Channel. One of my favorite travel vloggers is named Mark Wiens and heís an American based in Thailand. He produces really high end TV quality shows 25-30 minutes each two times per week dealing with food and culture. He travels all over Asia and has traveled all over Europe and shoots and edits everything by himself.
Old 01-03-18, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
One of my favorite travel vloggers is named Mark Wiens and he’s an American based in Thailand. He produces really high end TV quality shows 25-30 minutes each two times per week dealing with food and culture. He travels all over Asia and has traveled all over Europe and shoots and edits everything by himself.
Thanks for the heads up. I just subscribed.

If you like Japanese Food & Travel, check out Abroad In Japan and TabiEats.
Old 01-03-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 723 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I wish you hadn't reminded me of this. Seen some great Lindsey Buckingham performances lately that I would never have seen otherwise. Brought joy to my heart.

But still ...
Old 01-03-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 736 Likes on 602 Posts

It depends on how much it would be. I watch a lot of YouTube so I wouldnít oppose it entirely. Right now Iím nearing the end of a three month trial of YouTube Red. Itís been really nice to not have ads but Iím not sure if that benefit along with the YouTube Red original shows are worth paying for.

I watch a lot of reviewers, some vloggers, a couple video podcasts, some gaming news/streams, and other random things. Truthfully I probably watch YouTube more than Netflix so Iíve thought about dropping Netflix and just going with a YouTube Red subscription.
Old 01-03-18, 11:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 571 Posts

If the actual creators of the actual videos I watched were getting at least 70% of the cash, sure. I'd pay. But that's not happening, so fuck any sort of additional fee.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.