Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Front License Plate

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Front License Plate

Old 11-28-17, 08:52 PM

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts
Front License Plate

I need to put a front license plate on our new 2016 Kia Sedona but there aren't any holes in the bumper. I've heard of the kits you put in your tow hook but I can't find one specific to that model. Are they supposed to be universal? I don't trust myself with the drill, any ideas?
Old 11-28-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Front License Plate

Contact the service department at the Kia Dealership where you bought the car, they should know what to do.
Old 11-28-17, 08:59 PM

I picked it up at Enterprise Car Sales (which was a great experience, by the way).
Old 11-28-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.kia-forums.com/2016-soren...e-bracket.html
Old 11-28-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Don't certain states require a front plate? Seems odd that there isn't a standard requiring all manufacturers to have a spot for them.
Old 11-28-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Don't put the front on. Looks better that way.

I once ordered a BMW direct from Germany, made to my exact specs. For foreign cars they drill the front bumper in America when it reaches port. I specifically told them don't drill the front bumper. They fucking drilled the thing! They didn't even drill the holes straight. I fabricated and painted these little plugs to fill the holes. Be thankful they didn't drill yours.

Just roll with no plates. If you get a fix-it ticket just put it on with 3M sticky material and get it inspected.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-28-17 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 09:58 PM

Minnesota requires a front plate. It hasn't occurred to me to try 3M materials. Not sure if they'll stay sticky in winter!

Thanks, I saw that and wondered if it would work for a Sedona, too.

The dealer doesn't have a shop. Maybe my regular mechanic and his guys would be better at the drill than me. Just something I don't want to screw up, you know?
Old 11-28-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Don't certain states require a front plate? Seems odd that there isn't a standard requiring all manufacturers to have a spot for them.
Illinois requires a front plate and it must to be attached (canít just place it in the window).
Old 11-28-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Minnesota requires a front plate. It hasn't occurred to me to try 3M materials. Not sure if they'll stay sticky in winter!

California requires one too. I just don't give a fuuuuck. The 3M is to put the plate on for five minutes to pass inspection.
Old 11-28-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm thankful Kansas doesn't require having a front license plate on cars, I feel I might be in the only state with such a rule.
Old 11-28-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 573 Likes on 340 Posts

Nevada has a weird law about front plates

"Nevada law requires most vehicles to display front and rear license plates at all times, except motorcycles and trailers, which require only a rear plate. You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame.Ē
So basically you have to display the front plate unless the car doesn't have a front bracket. The Tesla S redesign does have the bracket but my one has the old "Nose Cone", so I don't need to display one.

Looks like that Kia would be exempt as well.
Old 11-29-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I thought California was basically the same as the rule posted for Nevada; technically you're supposed to have one, unless the car doesn't have a bracket for it. Even then, I don't think i've seen police pull anyone over for not having it. I didn't have one on my old Mazda 3.
Old 11-29-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 573 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I thought California was basically the same as the rule posted for Nevada; technically you're supposed to have one, unless the car doesn't have a bracket for it.
Nope :

Vehicles registered in California must display valid license plates as evidence of current registration:

Passenger vehicles display 2 license plates:
1 plate on the front of the car.
AND
1 plate on the back of the car.
Other vehicles, such as motorcycles, usually have only 1 license plate.
https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/license-plates.php

You have evil traffic cams that issue tickets by mail in CA -- without a front plate, I'm not sure those work.
Old 11-29-17, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Texas requires a front plate. Dealer just drilled holes in my Wrangler. I bought a thin bezel metal plate fame off Amazon.

Not thrilled but no choice.
Old 11-29-17, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Missouri requires it. I've gotten ticketed for it. Had a 1977 car with no front bracket. I just drilled holes.
The primary reason for laws requiring both plates displayed is that often one of the plates ends up on a different vehicle.
Having the front plate in the vehicle still leaves the cops with the job of pulling people over to find out where the other plate is.
One solution would be to issue just one plate.
Old 11-29-17, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I'm thankful Kansas doesn't require having a front license plate on cars, I feel I might be in the only state with such a rule.
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
One solution would be to issue just one plate.
Michigan doesn't require a front plate either, and only issues one.
Old 11-29-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 128 Likes on 88 Posts

Front plate is required where I live, and call me silly but I like to obey the law if I can avoid being pulled over by the police. So does everyone else around here, I've never seen a local not have a front plate as required, otherwise I'm sure they would get stopped by the cops pretty quickly.
Old 11-29-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I thought California was basically the same as the rule posted for Nevada; technically you're supposed to have one, unless the car doesn't have a bracket for it. Even then, I don't think i've seen police pull anyone over for not having it. I didn't have one on my old Mazda 3.
I got ticketed for not having license plate on front bumper. It was ticketed while I parked. lol
Old 11-29-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nope :

https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/license-plates.php

You have evil traffic cams that issue tickets by mail in CA -- without a front plate, I'm not sure those work.
Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
I got ticketed for not having license plate on front bumper. It was ticketed while I parked. lol
D'oh! Glad I was lucky in the 6 years I had my old car - the funny thing is probably 20% of cars around me don't have a front license plate.
Old 11-29-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

I would imagine it's low priority.
Old 11-29-17, 09:12 AM
Admin

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

story, it's not hard to drill the front plate. FL does not require one, but I like to have a vanity plate on the front, so I drill my own. My Honda came with the front plate kit, but my Ford Focus did not, so I bought one from Pep Boys. From my experience, all the cars have little dimples in the front bumper where you drill the holes. It's really easy. Just make sure your pilot hole is less of a diameter than your fastener screws. That's the only thing you need to be concerned about.
Old 11-29-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nevada has a weird law about front plates

So basically you have to display the front plate unless the car doesn't have a front bracket. The Tesla S redesign does have the bracket but my one has the old "Nose Cone", so I don't need to display one.

Looks like that Kia would be exempt as well.
Why would the Kia be exempt?

I would think they offer an 'add-on bracket or frame.'

It's probably a dealer installed option.
Old 11-29-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thirty-one states require their motorists to display license plates on the front and back of their vehicles. The “Rugged Nineteen” states that require only one plate include Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico. North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
https://www.myimprov.com/indiana-fro...-plate-debate/
Old 11-29-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I live in the one of the "Rugged Nineteen" aka Tennessee. I'm glad I only have to have a rear license plate.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (07-25-20)
Old 11-29-17, 09:59 AM

I may end up going for it, Vin. Little adulting projects like this often have me hand-wringing to start and feeling accomplished afterward.

Ah, the "Rugged Nineteen," that explains it. When our Sedona was a fleet vehicle, it lived in Florida and Georgia. Hence, no plates or holes (or dimples, that I can see).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.