DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-06-17, 01:30 PM   #1
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ash covers Oregon cities, wildfire smoke chokes US West

How bad is it?I left Albany,Or about 10 days ago and smelt smoke all the way to the California border.Seen A small forest fire near Dunsmuir,Ca.

But I'm reading of school closures.Parent taking their kids out of school because the smoke is getting inside and staying inside the schools.

Teen suspected of starting massive Eagle Creek Fire, state police say.

LET IT BURN policy needs some changes.A few old timers are saying the summers are getting A little long and hotter up here.Have to do some more research
when I have more time.stay safe

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...r-12172950.php
Old 09-06-17, 01:51 PM   #2
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Ash covers Oregon cities, wildfire smoke chokes US West

The smoke is pretty bad where I live in the Cascades Mountains of northwest Washington. The air quality is rated as "unhealthy" -- smells like a campfire outside and there's a fine layer of ash on everything. People are reporting that the smoke is setting off the smoke detectors inside their homes.

Going outside I feel like I'm in a Fallout game.

This photo was taken outside my front door. No filter was used. Usually I can see a mountain on the other side of those trees.
Old 09-06-17, 01:52 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

It's not so bad here, just everything looks like an Instagram filter.
Old 09-06-17, 02:10 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

It's bad in Seattle, which is not that close to any of them. The sky is that weird pink-ish, ash is all over cars, and some friends downtown in modern buildings had their lungs burning. Maintenance said they'd start recirculating the air but would also do periodic CO2 checks.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-06-17, 02:20 PM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eugene is at unhealthy today, so better. Last couple days were rated as hazardous. Air looked brown with so much haze you could stare straight at the sun (but obviously shouldn't). We stayed in and kept pets in the last few days.

Sucks that Seattle is hit, too. We are going there this weekend and I was hoping for clear air.
Old 09-06-17, 02:48 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

It was obvious in Denver over the past few days. I couldn't see the mountains from 10 miles away. Things have been clearing out as of today, though.
Old 09-06-17, 03:15 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

instagram filter is a good way to describe it.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 09-06-17, 04:19 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pol...ens/ar-AArotNk

Quote:
Investigators in Oregon believe they know who’s responsible for a wildfire that’s burned nearly 30 square miles, forced hundreds to flee their homes and by early Wednesday showed no signs of being contained.

The chief suspects: a group of teenagers who giggled and recorded video Saturday afternoon while lobbing fireworks into a parched canyon.

Warm summer temperatures and nearly nonexistent rain have dried out vegetation and turned the Beaver State’s forests into tinderboxes. Officials warned that the threat of wildfire was high and urged caution as Oregonians descended on the state’s parks and forests over the holiday weekend.

One of the visitors was Liz FitzGerald, who told the Oregonian that she was hiking in the Columbia River Gorge 70 miles east of Portland when she saw a teenage boy hurl a smoke bomb into Eagle Creek Canyon.

Another boy recorded the incident with his cellphone, and some girls in the group giggled as the incendiary exploded in the trees below, sending up what FitzGerald thought was smoke from the fireworks.

“I was probably 4 feet away from him. I said, ‘Do you realize how dangerous this is?’” FitzGerald recounted to the newspaper. ” ‘This place is so dry.’ ”

A short time later, she encountered hikers who’d also seen the teens setting off fireworks. The hikers were walking to the trailhead to notify park officials about the teens’ dangerous behavior.

FitzGerald decided to run back to the start of the trail to do the same thing, the newspaper said. By then, she could see flames and smoke. It was obvious that it was a forest fire. And it was growing.

As she ran, she encountered the teens again. She said they seemed oblivious to the ramifications of their actions.

“My adrenaline is through the roof,” FitzGerald said. “I said, ‘Do you realize you just started a forest fire?’ And the kid who had been filming with his cellphone said, ‘But what are we supposed to do about it now?’ And I said, ‘Call the fricking fire department!’ ”

Investigators have said the fire’s cause was “misuse of fireworks.” The teen with the firebombs was a 15-year-old male from Vancouver, Wash. They found him in the trail’s parking lot and interviewed him. No one has been arrested and no formal charges have been made. Authorities have not released the teen’s name. Video surfaced on YouTube of police interviewing the teens near the entrance to Interstate 84 after what FitzGerald described as a brief minivan chase.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-06-17, 10:32 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

On Monday, the smoke created a haze over here that knocked a few degrees off the air temperature.
Old 09-06-17, 10:36 PM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
The smoke is pretty bad where I live in the Cascades Mountains of northwest Washington. The air quality is rated as "unhealthy" -- smells like a campfire outside and there's a fine layer of ash on everything. People are reporting that the smoke is setting off the smoke detectors inside their homes.

Going outside I feel like I'm in a Fallout game.

This photo was taken outside my front door. No filter was used. Usually I can see a mountain on the other side of those trees.
Wow--I didn't see this pic on my phone. That's it, exactly!
Old 09-06-17, 10:51 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
It was obvious in Denver over the past few days. I couldn't see the mountains from 10 miles away. Things have been clearing out as of today, though.
I woke up with a pounding headache on Monday which I attribute to the smoke. There was a haze all over Northern Colorado and I could smell the smoke everywhere. I'm glad it's starting to clear out a little.
Old 09-08-17, 02:59 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like the smoke at all. I've had vacations ruined and had to live in smoke for days. It sucks. But it wasn't until this summer that I started to hear this sentiment that the "let it burn" policy be changed.

Forests need to burn. The reason these fires are so big is due to 100 years of forest management that said, "Every fire should be extinguished in 24 hours." Our forests are as thick with fuel as they've ever been in history.