DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-16-17, 02:47 PM   #26
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion

Wasn't Whole Foods the chain that was sued just a few years ago?
Old 06-16-17, 02:56 PM   #27

Whole Foods is just too expensive as others have stated.. Plus, it is out of the way for me to go to.. Kroger is just around the corner so they are my go to grocery store.
Old 06-16-17, 02:56 PM   #28
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Yup, I think they got in trouble in New York due to incorrectly charging their customers a higher price at checkout than the price on the shelf.
Old 06-16-17, 03:21 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Like just about every grocery chain on the planet...yes, they were sued over pricing, but in this case, it was rather isolated. Won't be surprised if a class action suit is initiated, and the state of New York sues Whole Foods because they are too expensive. I think the lawsuit against Whole Foods was rather petty and unnecessary. But hey, it gave Julie Menin some great exposure.

On a side note, which is demonstrating New York's legal insanity, a person named Sean John, a very regular eater of cheese and cupcakes, was allowed to sue Whole Foods earlier this month...even though he...get this...cannot prove the products were mislabeled.

Thanks to the awesome intelligence of Circuit Judge Raymond Lohier who believes the plaintiff should still be able to sue the company.

No wonder Whole Foods sold to Amazon. Smart move as they probably saw future lawsuits coming from mostly the New York area.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-16-17 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 04:07 PM   #30
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yep, Pronto Market, it was like a 7-11 back then.
That was exactly the thing: "Pronto Market" was a chain of small markets in the Los Angeles area. Their owner, Joe Coulombe, was worried about their future when a new chain came to town: 7-Eleven. While trying to figure out what to do, he went on a Caribbean vacation. While there he noticed American tourists buying armfuls of food - hot sauces, rum cakes, etc. - to take home. That gave him the idea for Trader Joe's.

For what it's worth, the first time Don Draper goes to California in Mad Men, he offers to pick up some groceries for Anna. He returns with a paper bag full of stuff. The bag had the original Pronto Market logo on it... a nice Easter Egg of sorts.

It's also been mentioned in this thread, but TJ's is owned by Aldi Nord, which is not the same company that runs Aldi in the US (that's Aldi Süd). The Albrecht brothers, who started Albrecht Discount, decided to split the company in two in the early 60s, because one brother wanted to sell cigarettes in the stores, while the other didn't. Funny: it didn't have anything to do with health - Karl Albrecht was just afraid cigarettes would attract shoplifters!
Old 06-16-17, 04:43 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope they keep Whole Foods Whole Foods. If they wanted to run a supermarket with their own image, they could have bought any average chain (Albertsons or whatever), leaned it up, lowered prices, and ran it the way they run their core company. Leave my Whole Foods alone! If not, it'll turn into an average grocery store, and some other premium grocery store will emerge. We have a place called AJ's Fine Foods that is still very good for produce and meats.

I do look forward to what they can do with delivery services. If they're able to merge their courier infrastructure, people are going to start having everything delivered.
Old 06-16-17, 04:54 PM   #32

Amazon buys Whole Foods

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/b...ole-foods.html

Now I'll be able to mail order my "asparagus water".
Old 06-16-17, 04:58 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The WF near me is in a shopping mall! I shit you not. I've never been. I'm not going to fight the crowds in the mall parking lot to buy fucking groceries. Their management must be crazy.
We have one in a shopping mall, but it's branded as 365, with a high emphasis on grab-and-go for commuters. I could see Amazon working with that concept rather than traditional WF groceries.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-16-17, 05:00 PM   #34
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Like just about every grocery chain on the planet...yes, they were sued over pricing, but in this case, it was rather isolated. Won't be surprised if a class action suit is initiated, and the state of New York sues Whole Foods because they are too expensive. I think the lawsuit against Whole Foods was rather petty and unnecessary. But hey, it gave Julie Menin some great exposure.

On a side note, which is demonstrating New York's legal insanity, a person named Sean John, a very regular eater of cheese and cupcakes, was allowed to sue Whole Foods earlier this month...even though he...get this...cannot prove the products were mislabeled.

Thanks to the awesome intelligence of Circuit Judge Raymond Lohier who believes the plaintiff should still be able to sue the company.

No wonder Whole Foods sold to Amazon. Smart move as they probably saw future lawsuits coming from mostly the New York area.
When you set out to basically steal from your customers, don't get upset when it comes back to bite you in the ass.
Old 06-16-17, 05:10 PM   #35
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amazon can't package my blu-rays to keep the cases from being cracked, how are they going to deliver eggs?
Old 06-16-17, 07:14 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

On Amazon buying Whole Foods: 'The ramifications for all of retail are seismic'

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...185901537.html

Quote:
When Kroger (KR) dropped 18% on Thursday following disappointing first quarter results, CEO Rodney McMullen acknowledged straight-on challenges in the industry.

“There is a lot of change in the food retail industry, both in terms of the operating environment and the competitive landscape,” he said. “We know there is a lot of upheaval in the food retail industry.”

On Friday, that remark became a historic understatement.

Kroger shares fell another 14% on Friday morning after Amazon (AMZN) announced it would acquire Whole Foods (WFM) for $13.7 billion or $42 per share.

“The ramifications for all of retail are seismic—not just retailers that sell grocery, but for everyone,” according to Gordon Haskett’s Chuck Grom.

Brick and mortar grocery stores are no longer safe

The online retail boom has been devastating for brick-and-mortar sellers of electronics, clothes, books, and many other goods where price and convenience are priorities for consumers. While online grocery shopping has been around for a while, it was never considered a major threat to traditional grocers like Kroger and Safeway. That is, until now.

“The acquisition says as you look toward the future, you can’t just do brick and mortar groceries and you can’t just do online groceries,” according to Needham’s Kerry Rice. “A big piece of this is logistics, where the grocery stores haven’t been able to do well—Getting it to you quickly and building out a network.”

Barclays’ Karen Short called the deal “Darwinism at its best.”

Whole Foods, which traded as high as $65 a share in October 2013 before falling to under $30 earlier this year, had tried vigorously to push through an online strategy amid declining sales and pressure from activist investor Jana Partners (which revealed in April it had built a 9% stake in the company).

In November 2015, the organic food pioneer outlined a nine-point turnaround plan to combat declining sales, and CEO John Mackey specifically emphasized digital strategies as part of that.

“We will invest in digital strategies to convert the strong traffic we generate online into sales,” he said during the company’s conference call that month. “We have integrated Instacart into our app, will soon launch a national sales flyer, and will continue to make upgrades to provide more functionality and streamline our customers’ digital experience.”

Mackey continued to tout digital initiatives on the company’s latest conference call, which included a partnership with Instacart for direct delivery to customers fulfilled out of its stores. The company has also made additional investments in an e-store for catering along with meal delivery with DoorDash.

However, these initiatives have failed to move the needle. In the first quarter of 2017, the grocery chain said comparable store sales fell 2.8%, the seventh straight quarter of declines, just as they rejiggered the board of directors with new retail leadership.

Groceries as a way to sell other stuff

This slow shift to digital sales by traditional names has been a cloud over the retail industry more broadly, from Macy’s (M) to Nordstrom (JWN) and beyond. While some brands and industries have been able to dodge this change, today’s deal is a sign that no industry is safe from disruption.

The deal is not just about pain for grocery chains. It’s also about Amazon gaining a new channel for sales in other categories, according to Morgan Stanley’s Brian Nowak.

“Grocery is also an important order/traffic velocity driver, given the average US consumer visits the supermarket 1.6 times per week,” Nowak said. “As such, Amazon’s ability to capture this traffic flow creates upsell opportunities across its other categories.”

Plus, grocery shopping is a significant portion of consumption, accounting for 30% of total US personal spending, according to Morgan Stanley.

Before today, Amazon’s entry into the $800 billion grocery business has been focused largely on Amazon Fresh, which it started a decade ago. The deal confirms the company’s commitment, allowing it to quickly enter the category without upfront build-out costs (Whole Foods has about 460 locations, with the majority in the US).

Amazon’s Whole Foods could wreak havoc on prices

Injecting Amazon’s DNA into Whole Foods’ business could create an incredible challenge for the supermarket industry.

“We anticipate Amazon’s ownership is likely to result in lower prices at Whole Foods, forcing other grocery participants to follow, negatively impacting category margins,” according to Stifel’s Mark Astrachan. “There is a generally strong correlation between price and comp store sales growth, and we also note Amazon has largely foregone profits in other categories in which it competes, which we believe is likely to happen with Whole Foods/grocery.”

In other words, profitability may not be the top priority for Whole Foods, which puts even more pressure on peers to implement what are called “price investments” in the industry, which is another way of saying lowering prices.

This comes at a time of increasing competition over price, which Kroger noted on their conference call Thursday. And beyond online, the brick-and-mortar landscape has already been increasingly challenging and competitive.

Whole Foods’ leadership in the natural food category paved the way for others to expand in the category. Big-box retailers like Costco (COST), Target (TGT) and Walmart (WMT); traditional grocers like Kroger and privately-held Wegmans; and convenience stores like Walgreens (WBA) have all gone organic. Specialty organic rivals have flexed their muscles as well, with names like like Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) and privately-held Trader Joe’s growing rapidly.

Amazon’s announcement didn’t come with too many details, keeping with the company’s reputation of disclosing minimal information about future plans. So for now, all we can do is speculate. But it’ll certainly be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
Old 06-16-17, 09:04 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a hint to all stores who are spreading fear of Amazon's takeover of Whole Foods:

Customer service. Quality deli and quality in-store baked goods.

Or just continue being shitty and repulsive and continue the fear-mongering of Amazon.

And Kroger is a shitty outfit, ruthless, probably kicking themselves they didn't buy Whole Foods first.

I'm glad they didn't. They completely fucked Fred Meyer stores, their employees, and their customers. Anyone who is familiar with the story and how Fred Meyer changed over the last few decades, would hopefully understand.

Amazon is creative and resourceful, I will give them that. I don't think the expansion of Whole Foods will necessarily be a good thing, but who knows. I like Whole Foods as it is. I don't want it to be another post-Mafia Las Vegas tourist town.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-16-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 01:02 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a huge WF fan! But I'm also a huge AMAZON fan.

I go to WF to hang out at their bar, get growlers filled, pick up wine, flowers and desserts for going out nights, I often eat there, etc.

I buy most of my "good" (toilet paper, paper towels, soaps, etc) at Amazon.

So I'm loving this.

It's odd hearing about the concerns over other brick and mortar stores. I mean "everyone" hates Walmart and here is something that could (and will) directly effect Walmart and the reaction seems mixed at best.

Overall I'm excited to see what they do and bring. Cheaper prices for Prime Members? Home delivery of WF items? A truely legit way to have groceries delivered?
Old 06-19-17, 01:12 PM   #39

Bar? Your Whole Foods is much different than mine.
Old 06-19-17, 01:17 PM   #40
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
It's odd hearing about the concerns over other brick and mortar stores. I mean "everyone" hates Walmart and here is something that could (and will) directly effect Walmart and the reaction seems mixed at best.
How would this have any impact on Walmart?
Old 06-19-17, 01:19 PM   #41
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon Prime Rib. Coming soon...
"People can hurl any epithet they want about the snobbishness they think audiophiles retain. Let them drink their wine from boxes. The sound of my Bob Ludwig–mastered pressing of Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy coming through my system cuts through their contempt like Toshiro Mifune's katana blade!" - Henry Rollins
Old 06-19-17, 01:51 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Bar? Your Whole Foods is much different than mine.
Yours doesn't have the little cafe spot in the middle that sells espresso, gelato (well, used to), wine and craft beers (they have 6 or 7 on tap here)? Hmph, thought they all did by now. Our recently renovated Winn-Dixie is doing the same soon to go along with their ridiculously oversized food bars.

Somebody else mentioned focusing on Deli and Service, and that's exactly why Publix is a pretty beloved brand in the south despite it being slightly more expensive and not anything spectacular overall. They have surprisingly good service, and their subs, deli and fried chicken are all fantastic. They also have really solid cooking classes and already offer online ordering (for deli sandwiches and meats) and delivery (via Shipt, they also do Costco and ABC Liqours).

Last edited by RichC2; 06-19-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 01:55 PM   #43
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'm a huge WF fan! But I'm also a huge AMAZON fan.

I go to WF to hang out at their bar, get growlers filled, pick up wine, flowers and desserts for going out nights, I often eat there, etc.

I buy most of my "good" (toilet paper, paper towels, soaps, etc) at Amazon.

So I'm loving this.

Overall I'm excited to see what they do and bring. Cheaper prices for Prime Members? Home delivery of WF items? A truely legit way to have groceries delivered?
The B&Ms are just whining and complaining. Because they might actually have to stock their shelves and train their employees.

Mostly everyone hates Walmart...but shops there.

People say they "hate" WF and other types of stores...but they'll be seen shopping there, too.

Old 06-19-17, 02:06 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
The same concerns that caused Kroger stock to tank will apply to Walmart and other stores.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc....oods-deal.html

Even Costco stock took a hit
Old 06-19-17, 02:12 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Most WF in Dallas (and I see them elsewhere when I travel) have bars. Most serve food as well. You can also buy from the store and eat at the bar. Many let u carry beer wine around while you shop.
Old 06-19-17, 02:14 PM   #46
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Seriously?
Old 06-19-17, 02:15 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

That seems very dependent on local liquor laws.
Old 06-19-17, 02:21 PM   #48
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Seriously?
Yeah, its a serious question. The two stores cater to completely different customers, so I'm not sure how changes to one might impact the other.
Old 06-19-17, 02:25 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Groceries plays a big part in Walmart's modern day success. That's all.

Walmart is known for cheap prices, for both products and groceries
Amazon is known for cheap prices on products, convenience and now groceries
Old 06-19-17, 02:27 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

This will only matter if Amazon is willing to lower their quality of goods and services to compete with Wal Mart.

Amazon themselves can compete with Wal Mart all they want. They can even offer Whole Foods' non-perishables (which they already do, for the most part). But I hope they leave Whole Foods' retail out of it. I don't mind paying an extra 30% to get really good produce, meats, etc.