Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anyone have the Roomba iRobot?

Old 04-04-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone have the Roomba iRobot?

I have been looking at this thing for a while now and I am sick of cleaning up hair from my two dogs in the house. I live in a single floor house with no stairs anywhere, so it seems made for my home. I just wondered how good they actually are. Anyone give advice or experience with it.
Old 04-04-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Anyone have the Roomba iRobot?

I had one years ago, to help clean up all the cat hair in my house. Was such a royal pain in the ass ... the hairs are constantly getting wound around the inner guts and you have to take it apart and clean it all the time. I wouldn't recommend it for houses with pet hair at all, unless they've made some tremendous strides in that area since then. Plus, mine was so overworked it committed suicide (threw itself down a flight of stairs!)
Old 04-04-17, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never used one but with my luck I just assumed the roomba would just get stuck between chair legs or something and wear a roomba shaped hole in the carpet.
Old 04-04-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

We have a knock-off at home, Neato BotVac. It works fine I reckon, keeps the cat hair and such at bay. It sometimes eats a cat toy and is sitting in the middle of the room beeping at us when we get home, but if we do our part it seems to do its part usually.

At work we have a half-dozen or more genuine Roombas that vacuum large areas (one is in a ballroom).
Old 04-04-17, 06:40 PM

I bought one for my Mom but it was a Monoprice version for $99 (Black Friday sale). I bought it mainly for dog hair on her hardwood floor and it works pretty good. However, it does not work well on the carpet so she still has to use a regular vacuum for that. If your main focus is to remove pet hair on hardwood or tile floor, then these work well.
Old 04-04-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
We have a knock-off at home, Neato BotVac. It works fine I reckon, keeps the cat hair and such at bay. It sometimes eats a cat toy and is sitting in the middle of the room beeping at us when we get home, but if we do our part it seems to do its part usually.

At work we have a half-dozen or more genuine Roombas that vacuum large areas (one is in a ballroom).
We also have the Neato, and IMO it's miles above the Roomba. It can do our bottom floor in about an hour, which includes the tiled kitchen, and hardwood family room and front room, and it vacuumed all of those places before we had to empty the trap. We have two golden retrievers and 2 3 year olds, so they put out a lot hair and food bits. We briefly had a Roomba, but it choked and stopped a lot after each room, so we returned it.
Old 04-04-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think of a roomba as a device I'd like to have but don't need.

$300 + for a little thing that isn't much more than a push sweeper
that runs around the floor by itself.

I can fill the canister on a regular no bag vacuum just by vacuuming the floors once around. 5 dogs.

I don't expect the bin in a roomba to handle that.

Old 04-04-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My mother has one. She has a short-haired cat, and lives in a 1 bedroom apartment.

It does a reasonable job. The first couple of runs, it had to be emptied, frequently, but after that it would do the living/dining room, kitchen, and hallways before it needed to be emptied.

The biggest drawback is the random nature of the path. She ends up trying to direct it with her cane so that it'll get everything.

You can get a remote for it, which lets you steer it, but they're stupid expensive for what they are. I actually ordered one for her from amazon that was 'supposed' to ship from Japan. After 2 months of it not showing up I contacted the seller and got a refund. They claimed it was held up in Canadian Customs, but since there was no tracking on it, I'm pretty sure they made that up. I have a feeling they would just not send stuff and hope that some people would forget about it. $Profit$

I thought about getting one, as we have two short-haired cats, but couldn't really justify the cost.
Old 04-05-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have one, it works well ... We still have to use the regular vacuum, but much less often, it does a good job picking up the dog hair ... we have it set to run 4x a week .. it covers the house (about 2200 sq ft) and puts itself back on the charging station.

Also handy if you are sound asleep and another cat follows your (now deceased) cat into your house in the middle of the night, tears a curtain down, scares the shit out of you, then hides under the bed and is able to move beyond golf club swatting range..

The Roomba in remote control mode will get the cat out of your house

Edit: it is nice that it goes under things (big chairs, TV stand, etc) .. things you would not normally move to vacuum and hits the base boards pretty well too.
Old 04-05-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have a Neato. Way better than the Rumba IMO. Cleans 5 rooms and makes it back home 99% of the time. Very occasionally it will get caught on something that got dropped on the floor. I love it.
Old 04-05-17, 09:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get one if you have a dog.
PHP Code:
https://www.facebook.com/jesse.newton.37/posts/776177951574 

Old 04-05-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^
Old 04-05-17, 10:27 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thought of this as soon as he mentioned pets..

Old 04-05-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeesh, people. I make no claim to having the cleanest house in Otterville, but buy a damn broom and call it good.

P.S. Yes, I know, brooms don't work on carpets. But if you have animals, you should have hard floors anyway. When I bought my townhouse, I ripped all the carpets out and replaced them with Pergo.

P.P.S. I just realized how my reply is all "this is all about me and how I do stuff and why anyone who doesn't do it just like me is dead wrong." Could we please move this thread to Religion & Politics?
Old 04-05-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved my Roomba until the battery died. Replacement from iRobot cost about $70.

If you have a wife or other long-haired animal, expect to spend a lot of time cleaning the hair from the brushes.

Looking at Amazon, there are a bunch of $20-40 off-brand batteries available now. Might go that route the next time it needs a power boost.
Old 04-05-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I loved my Roomba until the battery died. Replacement from iRobot cost about $70.

If you have a wife or other long-haired animal, expect to spend a lot of time cleaning the hair from the brushes.

Looking at Amazon, there are a bunch of $20-40 off-brand batteries available now. Might go that route the next time it needs a power boost.

Old 04-05-17, 01:36 PM

We had one but we had three women/girls in the house who had long hair. This is a huge problem, as mentioned above. The long hairs get wrapped around the beater brush and choke the thing. Had to return it. I suppose it would be OK if you don't have anybody in the house with very long hair (whose hair falls out with any frequency) or for a pet who has relatively short hair.
Old 04-06-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well getting home from work everyday only to grab the broom and pan to collect dog hair gets old real fast. If it's only a $100 bill to take this chore away then I will gladly pay it. My dogs are kept in one place all day, which is closed off from the rest of the house, and they are well house trained so there would be no chance of coming home to a dirty protest being painted across my floors (which are all tiled throughout the house).
Old 04-10-17, 03:59 PM
Cool New Member

I would say go for it! A buddy of mine has one and he just turns it on while playing video games. Utlimate bachelor lol
Old 05-20-19, 03:17 AM

We've had a Neato (not the Botvac) for 18 months now. I love that thing! Bought it on cyber Monday from Amazon and paid less than $200. We also have the iRobot Braava mop that was a little over $200.

We are 3 adults, 3 little dogs, and 95% hardwood floors. As much as I would love everyone to take their shoes off when they come in, I'm the only one that does.

The dog issue. Our dogs sleep in crates at night so if there is going to be a pet explosion it is contained and taken care of at the time or first thing in the morning. During the day while we are gone to work our dogs have the run of the family room with a walk-thru (for humans) gate on the entrance. Our Neato runs every day in the house, except for the family room. I run it once per week in the family room to get up the fur bunnies.

If you don't like to pick up after yourself every day then you will not like the robot vacuum. Although my shoes are in a bin near the door, the rest of the family picks up clothing and shoes before going off to bed. They both know that if they leave something around that ruins my Neato then they are buying me a new one! Some of our furniture is low enough that the Neato doesn't go under. But it goes under probably 75% of our furniture...doesn't go under recliners, a couple of dressers, and one large armoire. We have a couple of armoire units that we used to hide electronic gear (printers, routers) and another one for a tv. There are lots of cords there so we bought a few pieces of grey pipe insulation at the big box hardware store and stuffed all the cords in there. Now the Neato isn't dragging the cords out from under the furniture as it moves around. We don't use the barrier strips that come with Neato. Our home is open concept and we just use the dog gate in the family room and close bed/bath doors if someone hasn't had a chance to pick up last night or before leaving in the morning. Our Neato runs during the day while we are at work. We've come home to it being stuck a few times. But once you figure it out and make some minor changes, it runs without a problem. We empty the bin every night and it needs the filter replaced about quarterly. My husband checks it out every once in a while (monthly?) while he's watching tv to make sure nothing is wrapped around the brushes and wheels, cleans out anything that might cause a problems.

Seriously, when you consider that this thing covers 4 bedrooms, laundry/mud room, a hallway, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and foyer...you would be surprised how much junk it picks up. We are by no means slobs. We eat in the kitchen (no crumbs or debris in bedrooms), no messy hobbies, and this thing fills its bin every day. It's not even going where the dogs are except for the weekly run! We take out the regular vacuum about every 6 weeks and go around the baseboards, corners, get cobwebs on the walls and ceilings. The biggest thing my husband has noticed is that we rarely need to change the furnace filter anymore. We had that chore on a once a month schedule and we only change it about 4x/year now. I also used to dust every week (could do it hourly as we live in the desert!) but now I can do it every few weeks and the house is presentable if company drops by. It's really all about the dust and dirt you CAN'T see in your house.

The mop was a whole 'another story. It came with a navigation cube and never seemed to work. It bounced around not covering anything of substance, went in tiny circles, always confused. Then I read in a forum to ditch the navigation cube. Works like a dream! The vacuum runs on Friday while we are at work so I run the mop on Friday night when we get home. You do have to change the mop rags every 30 minutes or so (otherwise you are just pushing dirty water around) but it works for us. We set it to go when we get home, we're in the kitchen cooking dinner anyway, so change out the rag, change it when dinner is done, running laundry and need to change loads so just swap out a clean rag. By the time it's bedtime the house is mopped and ready to go for the rest of the week. If we have a rainy day I can set it to do a spot run to get up all the wet paw prints. You just can't let the mop run on autopilot. It does not dock itself, i.e. return to home base like the vacuums. So if you let it run while you were sleeping or gone, it finishes its job, the wet mop head is going to be sitting on the floor until you pick it up. Not a good idea with hardwood floors. The mop recharges on a stand that sits on top of our dryer. And you have to put the mop on the charger, it does not go there on its own.

I haven't had to replace any batteries yet but I see them on Amazon and eBay. The filters for the Neato are a bit pricy but you can minimize the need to replace them by placing a tissue over the filter when emptying the bin. The "pre-filter" then catches most of the dirt that you can't get out of the little pleats in the Neato filter. For the mop, I just bought a dozen of the mop head rags so I can clean the whole house in one evening. They do get really dirty (at least at my house!) so I soak them in Oxy overnight and run them through the laundry on Saturday.

I wish I would have had this much sooner, it would be great for a busy family. Now that we are just adults at home, it is still nice to spend my weekends doing something other than cleaning. With 2500 sq feet and no one picking up their stuff it would take 1/2 day each week to get the whole house vac'd and mopped. Now they know they have to pick up and things are always cleaner than they were before.
Old 05-20-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did get one a while back. Its not the iRobot, but another brand that i was told was just as good and a fraction of the price. They were not wrong. I have not had to sweep my floor in years now, and it was a great investment. Machine runs perfectly and is incredibly quite. It is set to run at 12:30am and we never hear a thing, and it never wakes us. As our dogs sleep with us it means that the image that was posted never happens, and never will happen. I would highly recommend one to anyone looking to buy.
Old 05-20-19, 10:50 AM

Even with getting a cat in the last few months who doesn't shed all that much, the Deebot we got last summer when we bought our house is awesome. We have all hardwood with some rugs and it does very well. There was an Amazon lightning deal so we went for it, the ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S.

We call our Deebot "Dave" and we call its dock "HAL." I put a laminated photo of Dave in his pod on the Deebot and a laminated photo of HAL on the dock, I'll try to post a photo, sometime. I'm one of the rare but lucky dads who has two kids ages 5 and 7 who love, and I'm not kidding, love 2001.
Old 05-20-19, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I did get one a while back. Its not the iRobot, but another brand that i was told was just as good and a fraction of the price. They were not wrong. I have not had to sweep my floor in years now, and it was a great investment. Machine runs perfectly and is incredibly quite. It is set to run at 12:30am and we never hear a thing, and it never wakes us. As our dogs sleep with us it means that the image that was posted never happens, and never will happen. I would highly recommend one to anyone looking to buy.
What brand did you get?
Old 05-20-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought a Eufy 11S (slim) last year on Amazon Warehouse and I love it. I have no animals or carpets, and I run it once a week. I just let it run for 2 hours until it returns "home". It's amazing how much stuff it picks up even if it does it randomly. And it's slim enough to pretty much go under all my furniture without getting stuck. I just take 2 min. to put dining room chairs and living room side tables away, otherwise it seems to spend way too much time mucking about between the legs (pervert bot!).

It's similar to the Deebot mentioned above and they are probably the two most popular "budget" models. There's a bunch of comparison articles between the two as well.
Old 05-20-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to get a Roomba, if only to build a DJ Roomba!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.