Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have/know someone with Wegener's Disease?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-01-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My dad has been sick for about five weeks, and doctors were baffled at the cause. He's been in the hospital nearly half that time. He was diagnosed yesterday with a rare disorder that attacks the respiratory system called Wegener's Disease, aka GPA (Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis).

The simplest explanation is this: his body's immune system decided his organs were invaders and began attacking them the way they would normally attack some kind of sickness. Anyone with this disease must be placed on immuno-suppressive drugs for the rest of their lives or their body will destroy its own organs. There is no cure, only management. The disease is sent into remission much like cancer, but can reappear at any time.

I had never heard of this illness or anything like it. He is apparently one of about a hundred people in the entire state who has it. Info and stories from people who are afflicted is somewhat scarce. I've watched a few youtube videos, but most are from younger folks and don't really say anything useful.

The doctors can tell us next to nothing. They don't know what causes the disease nor can they can't tell us what long term effects might be since the disease is radically different for each person. If anyone has any personal stories, I'd love to hear them.
Old 01-01-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Anyone here have/know someone with Wegener's Disease?

It came up on multiple episodes of House ... It's not lupus.

Personal experiences may help you cope, but the doctors aren't hiding things from you. Any auto-immune condition is a bitch. Basically, your own body goes psychotic on itself. The cause and remedies are pure guessing games. Type 1 diabetes is a more common auto-immune disorder, but they still don't know what causes it. There is speculation, but it is just that.

The good news is that Wegener's is treatable.
Old 01-03-17, 08:31 PM

I wasn't suggesting the doctors were hiding things from me. I'm simply looking for the perspectives of others who may have experienced the same disorder. There's not much useful information available.
Old 01-12-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

im a pulmonolgist so i have seen 3 cases (iave been doing this for almost 9 years). 2 did not end well. he needs a damn good pulmonologist and rheumatologist to co-manage the disease together... essentially, he needs very strong medications to suppress his immune system to prevent flares which can be life threatening. and, for the love of all that is holy, when he is on immune suppression, make sure he takes bactrim for PCP prophylaxis.... good luck
Old 01-20-17, 01:46 AM

Thank you for the information. He's in the process of seeing multiple doctors right now. It's all very intimidating.