Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Target REDcard debit card worth it?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-20-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't shop often at Target, but I was wondering if it's worth getting Target's debit card? What are the downsides to getting one, if any? I'd mostly buy Blu-rays and/or video games. If someone steals money from the linked accounts, do you call Target or your bank? Also, could I use the cartwheel app on online purchases? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-16, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is the Target REDcard debit card worth it?

The target redcard is great if you shop at target due to the 5% off. Cartwheel is is typically in store only. Occasionally cartwheel offers will be available online. I prefer the CC as if someone steals it, it doesn't drain your bank account.
Old 10-20-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one - not sure if I see any other downsides other then with any other debit card. 5% off anything is pretty nice.
Old 10-20-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
If someone steals money from the linked accounts, do you call Target or your bank?
From the source...

Spoiler:
UNAUTHORIZED EFTS You will tell us AT ONCE if you believe your Card, Card number, or PIN has been lost or stolen. Telephoning us is the best way of keeping your possible losses down. You could lose all the money in your Deposit Account (plus your maximum overdraft line of credit) that can be accessed by the Card. You agree to assist us in determining the facts relating to any theft or possible unauthorized use of your Card, Card number, or PIN and to comply with the procedures we may require for our investigation.

You will not be held responsible for unauthorized use of your Card, Card number, or PIN if you have exercised reasonable care in safeguarding your Card, Card number, and PIN from loss or theft. If you did not exercise such reasonable care, the following liability limitations for unauthorized use apply:

If you tell us within four business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your Card, Card number, or PIN, you can lose no more than $50 if someone used your Card, Card number, or PIN without your permission.

If you do NOT tell us within four business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your Card, Card number, or PIN, and we can prove that we could have stopped someone from using your Card, Card number, or PIN without your permission if you had told us, you could lose as much as $500.

Also, if your statement from the Depository Bank shows EFTs that you did not make, you must tell us at once. If you do not tell us within 90 days after the statement was mailed to you, you may not get back any money you lost after the 90 days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking the money if you had told us in time. If a good reason (such as a long trip or a hospital stay) kept you from telling us, we will extend the time periods.
If you believe your Card, Card number, or PIN has been lost or stolen call us toll free at (888) 729-7331, or write: Target Corporation, c/o Financial and Retail Services, P.O. Box 9491, Minneapolis, MN, 55440.
Old 10-20-16, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are really no downsides that I can see, we've had one since they started the program. If you are concerned about fraud or theft, simply use a dedicated account. We have a separate account just for Target purchases (in our case, to help us in enforcing our budget, not due to any fraud or theft concerns, but it would certainly provide a layer of insulation in that case as well). Every payday, we have direct deposit into our primary account, then an automatic transfer from that account into the dedicated RedCard account, equal to the amount of our biweekly grocery budget. Easy enough to check the balance online or via smartphone before shopping, also easy enough to transfer more funds in for out-of-budget purchases.

As for Cartwheel, seems like a pain in the ass to me, but my wife uses it regularly and likes it. I imagine if I did more of the shopping and used it more regularly, I'd be more familiar with it and wouldn't mind it so much.
Old 10-20-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I shop at Target almost exclusively. I've saved nearly $400 on Cartwheel and annually save between $300-$400 more using my debit RedCard.
Old 10-20-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the credit card version (pay it off monthly) and its been great since I live a block away from a Target. there are some weeks where it seems like i'm buying stuff (mainly groceries) there every day
Old 10-20-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

It is worth it for me. Especially handy for the holidays and BF sales where you might not want to put a lot on the major credit card, and yet get an additional 5%.
Old 10-20-16, 06:34 PM

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Almost all of the Targets around here are also full grocery stores so we do all our grocery shopping at Target so it's definitely worth it since it's free.
Old 10-20-16, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Also gives you free shipping on most things from the website. And an extra 30 days on the return policy for most things.
Old 10-20-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I have the credit card version (pay it off monthly) and its been great since I live a block away from a Target. there are some weeks where it seems like i'm buying stuff (mainly groceries) there every day
I haven't done a ton of grocery shopping at my Target, but when I do, it seems like their prices are higher than Fry's stores. The 5 percent off doesn't negate the higher grocery costs
Old 10-20-16, 10:17 PM

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I haven't done a ton of grocery shopping at my Target, but when I do, it seems like their prices are higher than Fry's stores. The 5 percent off doesn't negate the higher grocery costs
Yes, that is my observation also. Target's normal grocery prices, of course, have "the extra 5%" built in, so they're not fooling me or any savvy consumer. Their grocery prices are consistently the highest in my area when compared to all other grocers except Whole Foods (which is a bloody scam!).

Where the extra 5% might pay off is on Target's *sale* prices, or stacked with coupons and / or sale events.
Old 10-20-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My experience is that some of the groceries run higher while some items are more competitive/cheaper. Cereal, peanut butter, milk, salad dressings, baking supplies...all are typically cheaper. Produce is rarely cheaper or as quality. I cycle between Target and a local grocery store to cover everything.

One place I don't shop is Walmart. Fuck Walmart.
Old 10-20-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, fuck Walmart.
Old 10-21-16, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Target RED card (Debit) and use Cartwheel regularly. Can get pretty decent deals stacking Cartwheel, 5% RED card discount, and manufacturer coupons on certain items.
Old 10-21-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
My experience is that some of the groceries run higher while some items are more competitive/cheaper. Cereal, peanut butter, milk, salad dressings, baking supplies...all are typically cheaper. Produce is rarely cheaper or as quality. I cycle between Target and a local grocery store to cover everything.
Yup, I'd say the same. A lot of the "dry" items are definitely cheaper at Target and those are the ones I typically pick up over Albertsons/Ralphs in my area. I wouldn't get veggies or meat there though unless I don't want to take the extra trip elsewhere, those all seem a bit higher. Coupled with the occasional Cartwheel deal, Target can be great.

Thankfully, I'm a savvy customer and know these things.

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-21-16 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-21-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

One place I don't shop is Walmart. Fuck Walmart.
Interesting. In my area, Target's milk is more expensive than Kroger's, by more than the 5% saved with the card. Since neither the milk nor the produce is cheaper at Target, I've held off getting the card and moving my main shopping there.
Old 10-21-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Your Frys must be nicer than the ones i've been to. I cant imagine eating groceries from them, lol. Unless you live off a diet of Funyuns and Ballz.

target is often cheaper or around the same as safeway. not as many choices, though, and less fresh stuff.
Old 10-21-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Your Frys must be nicer than the ones i've been to. I cant imagine eating groceries from them, lol. Unless you live off a diet of Funyuns and Ballz.

target is often cheaper or around the same as safeway. not as many choices, though, and less fresh stuff.
The Fry's stores here are among the nicest in town. Everything else is a step down.
Old 10-21-16, 03:58 PM

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

You're probably thinking about Frys electronics. There is also a Frys grocery store chain in the southwest.
Old 10-21-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
You're probably thinking about Frys electronics.
I certainly was. I had only heard of the electronics chain and I was in shock that they started selling groceries. Best Buy would be right behind them!
Old 10-21-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I certainly was. I had only heard of the electronics chain and I was in shock that they started selling groceries. Best Buy would be right behind them!
It is Kroger's store here in AZ.
Old 10-22-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to shop at Target a lot with the discount. Then we had a Kroger move in right next door to it. I comparison shopped for a few weeks and now I only shop at Kroger. For groceries that is.

The red card discount is decent but it only makes the prices comparable IMO. I will say I stock up at Target on their bone-in pork chops. They seem to have the market on quality thick cut pork chops.
Old 10-22-16, 11:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

So I can't price match and use the discount on the same item?
Old 10-24-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
You're probably thinking about Frys electronics. There is also a Frys grocery store chain in the southwest.
yeah, i only knew about the electronics store