Reload this Page >

L.A. (and surrounding area) Otter

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-24-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm headed to the L.A. area for a second time in two years. It's gonna be a short trip as I'm pretty much just flying there to see Jeff Lynne at the Bowl. I'll have about a day and a half to do other shit. I was just looking for advice on best times for travel.
I plan on visiting Lemmy and Dio's grave sites when I land since I'm flying into Burbank then going to the observatory. I really wanted to see the church from Prince Of Darkness and the Bonaventure hotel. Since they're both downtown, I was concerned about traffic. Is weekend rush hour different or is it just always a nightmare?
I also really would like to go to Zuma beach but I doubt that's feasible considering traffic. I'll probably end up going to Santa Monica so am I better off using the new metro line or just driving the rental car?

I got more questions but I reckon I'll see if anyone responds.
Old 07-24-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: L.A. (and surrounding area) Otter

It will still traffic... but not as bad as weekdays.
Old 07-24-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Early weekend mornings are pretty good traffic wise. It'll get bad later on though. Allow yourself plenty of time.
It would be a good idea to check the traffic reports and make sure there aren't any closures or accidents making things worse.
Old 07-25-16, 04:11 PM

Waze is a big help to gauge traffic. There are a ton of users so the data is reliable.

You probably already know but don't park at the Bowl. With the stacked parking it can take forever to get out. There are park and ride alternatives around town. The subway stop is less than a mile away if you are staying near a subway station.
Old 07-25-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Uber is your best friend if your doing a Burbank / Hollywood / Santa Monica run. There are endless drivers and it will save you $ and the frustration of parking. Plus, access to the fast lanes, etc.
Old 07-25-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a bunch of research before booking my hotel and heard about the parking situation at the bowl. I just bit the bullet and got a hotel on the same street about a half a mile away. Just gonna walk it.
I know it's a tourist trap but are there any decent bars (not clubs) in walking distance of the North Hollywood area?
I'll definitely sign up for Uber before I go.
Old 07-25-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Zuma Beach is a long fucking way out of LA. Sixty to ninety minutes without traffic. It's a trek. I'm guessing you're a POTA fan or maybe Libowski fan.

Downtown traffic isn't bad on the weekends. Like, actually driving around downtown is no problem, it's the freeways that can be a bitch. Why don't you stay at the Bonneventure? Then you can knock that one right off the list.

Since you sound like a movie fan, make sure to see the Bradburry Building downtown.
Old 08-04-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really wanted to stay at the Bonaventure but it was almost a hundred bucks a night more than the hotel I found. Thanks for the tip on the Bradbury. I'll have to look into that. I found a few more places to check out and I'm either gonna tear through them at light speed or start trimming my list. There's a GDT exhibit at a museum with items from his Bleak House and I also might check out the Museum Of Death.
Old 08-04-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I really wanted to stay at the Bonaventure but it was almost a hundred bucks a night more than the hotel I found. Thanks for the tip on the Bradbury. I'll have to look into that. I found a few more places to check out and I'm either gonna tear through them at light speed or start trimming my list. There's a GDT exhibit at a museum with items from his Bleak House and I also might check out the Museum Of Death.
Definitely hit up the LACMA for GDT's display.