Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Old 07-26-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

I too prefer the WDW version, but mostly for the expanded queue area (including the outside gardens). The corridor you travel through from the loading shaft to the drop shaft is quite short. It's OK, but for me it doesn't make or break the ride. They cover the same ground by moving up and down the shaft (with stops) in the DCA version and I've some to like that version better.

For me the real improvement seems to be what is being described as addition to the drop sequence. First the random drop sequences they have had in WDW for years. Secondly the music... they should have always had a soundtrack going through the whole ride. Lastly it seems like they will be adding a lot more projections during the sequence. They have experimented with them here and there in the past, but never to the extent that is possible given so much the sequence is in the dark.
Old 08-14-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished my first trip ever to Disneyland after multiple trips to WDW. Overall WDW I like WDW better, but DL/CA definitely has it's advantages.
The lack of space at DL is both an advantage and disadvantage to WDW, it's great that everything is one place, you can just walk across the street from one park to the other, compared to waiting for a bus and driving miles to next one at WDW. Everything is crammed though (granted I went during a busy time a year) and rides seemed stacked on top of each other. The lack of walking is an advantage, I walked 20 miles one day in WDW, here was more like 5. Also there is less planning involved in a DL trip, no 6 month reservations for meals, and 60 day fastpass system.

The rides that overlap are usually better at Disneyland.
POTC is much better with two big drops, and added scenes. Only the battle scene is better at WDW if I remember correctly.
Space Mountain is better with side by side seating, current Star Wars overlay and music in car.
Buzz Lightyear is better because you can remove the gun from it's holster.
It's a Small World is also better at DL
Indiana Jones at DL and Dinosaur at WDW are basically same ride but, come on, it's Indy!
I felt Big Thunder Mountain was smoother at DL so I liked it better. At WDW you can really squeeze into your neighbor during the turns.
Nemo ride at DL is better since it's the old 20,000 league submarines and under water, fitting for Nemo.

Splash Mountain is better at WDW but you can get soaked if you sit in the front of DL.
Tower of Terror is better at WDW, though since we were use to the WDW version the first drop was unexpected.
Jungle cruise is better at WDW since it has an added scene, but JC is really most dependent on you tour guide.

The other rides are basically equal between parks, though I got to go on toy story a few times on this trip due to less than the 2 hour waits that are common at WDW.

The number of dark rides at DL missing at WDW is surprising. I really missed Mr Toads ride at WDW and was happy to ride that again.

Dining is much better at WDW with all the options at hotels and more at parks, just make sure you make reservations 6 months out...
Shout out Trader Sam's at Disneyland hotel, I had a ton of fun there.

Overall if you have a 2-3 trip Disneyland is by far the better choice, if you have a week or more WDW is the much better choice with added parks (love EPCOT) and better dining.

PS I hope this post is coherent, took a red eye home and am going off very little sleep.
Old 08-15-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the Nemo ride like at WDW? Also they don't have Indiana Jones there anymore?
Old 08-15-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What's the Nemo ride like at WDW? Also they don't have Indiana Jones there anymore?
The Nemo ride at WDW is all kinds of disappointing IMO. It's basically a slow conveyor belt ride (think Haunted Mansion) that re-purposes the Epcot Aquarium with a very lose Nemo "plot".

Are you thinking of the Indiana Jones stunt show at WDW? I know Disney Paris has an Indy Coaster (which is fun, with a loop, but way too short), I don't ever recall an Indy ride at WDW.

If I remember correctly Disneyland/California Adventure actually has MORE (57 to 50) rides than the WDW parks combined. For me, the fact that I don't have to deal with Fastpass+ at Disneyland puts it ahead for me. Add the convenience of being able to traverse back and forth with ease and it's just more of a relaxing time. Don't get me wrong, I love the total immersion in all things Disney when you stay on property at WDW, but those parks have gotten to complicated to enjoy without rigorous planning.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 08-15-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I grew up going to DL and still enjoy going there. But it is really different than WDW ... Florida seems more live a vacation destination and a place to spend a week ... DL is still a 1 or 2 day deal, it has some really cool stuff, better version of some rides, a nostalgia that Walt built it ... but for a family vacation, I would take WDW. DL is just more crowded (smaller walkways) and having to hack your way through Adventureland is a pain.

I have been to Paris, similar to DL (2 parks), though fewer attractions, but easy to get around. I did Hong Kong earlier this year, 1 part ... some cool unique rides. Small park, but very nice .. like a Disney dropped in the middle of Hawaii, just really nice to walk around .. but not too many attractions. I skipped the smaller kids rides and rocket jets, covered the park in half a day.
Old 08-15-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We visit both WDW and DL pretty frequently. For me, DL wins out because it has the old fast pass system. Also, the Villas at Grand Californian is my favorite Disney condo--I love the Arts and Crafts style, even if it is Disneyfied. I just booked 4 nights in June in a 2 bedroom

For people who do stay at the Grand Californian, we've had great luck requesting a high floor, theme park view. Not sure about the hotel rooms for that (perhaps they charge based on view), but for the condos, it is awesome. I love the parks, but love being close enough to relax with a glass of wine while my young adult kids can come and go (they have wayyy more staying power)

This was the view from our balcony a couple years ago:

I think it was mentioned in the other Disney thread somewhere, but if you do stay at Grand Californian, only use the entrance to CA for coming back, or random trips out in the middle of the day. At opening, it's faster to use the general entrance.

Last edited by tasha99; 08-15-16 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
Just finished my first trip ever to Disneyland after multiple trips to WDW. Overall WDW I like WDW better, but DL/CA definitely has it's advantages.
The lack of space at DL is both an advantage and disadvantage to WDW, it's great that everything is one place, you can just walk across the street from one park to the other, compared to waiting for a bus and driving miles to next one at WDW. Everything is crammed though (granted I went during a busy time a year) and rides seemed stacked on top of each other. The lack of walking is an advantage, I walked 20 miles one day in WDW, here was more like 5. Also there is less planning involved in a DL trip, no 6 month reservations for meals, and 60 day fastpass system.

The rides that overlap are usually better at Disneyland.
POTC is much better with two big drops, and added scenes. Only the battle scene is better at WDW if I remember correctly.
Space Mountain is better with side by side seating, current Star Wars overlay and music in car.
Buzz Lightyear is better because you can remove the gun from it's holster.
It's a Small World is also better at DL
Indiana Jones at DL and Dinosaur at WDW are basically same ride but, come on, it's Indy!
I felt Big Thunder Mountain was smoother at DL so I liked it better. At WDW you can really squeeze into your neighbor during the turns.
Nemo ride at DL is better since it's the old 20,000 league submarines and under water, fitting for Nemo.

Splash Mountain is better at WDW but you can get soaked if you sit in the front of DL.
Tower of Terror is better at WDW, though since we were use to the WDW version the first drop was unexpected.
Jungle cruise is better at WDW since it has an added scene, but JC is really most dependent on you tour guide.

The other rides are basically equal between parks, though I got to go on toy story a few times on this trip due to less than the 2 hour waits that are common at WDW.

The number of dark rides at DL missing at WDW is surprising. I really missed Mr Toads ride at WDW and was happy to ride that again.

Dining is much better at WDW with all the options at hotels and more at parks, just make sure you make reservations 6 months out...
Shout out Trader Sam's at Disneyland hotel, I had a ton of fun there.

Overall if you have a 2-3 trip Disneyland is by far the better choice, if you have a week or more WDW is the much better choice with added parks (love EPCOT) and better dining.

PS I hope this post is coherent, took a red eye home and am going off very little sleep.
I'm shocked there is no mention of Cars Land. I haven't been to WDW in 20 years. I've been to DL/CA twice in the past 3 years. I really enjoy the size of the park, as you mentioned. It's very convenient in terms of size. You can easily cover each park in one day.
Old 08-15-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
If I remember correctly Disneyland/California Adventure actually has MORE (57 to 50) rides than the WDW parks combined. For me, the fact that I don't have to deal with Fastpass+ at Disneyland puts it ahead for me. Add the convenience of being able to traverse back and forth with ease and it's just more of a relaxing time. Don't get me wrong, I love the total immersion in all things Disney when you stay on property at WDW, but those parks have gotten to complicated to enjoy without rigorous planning.
I don't have to worry about the family anymore so I guess I'm not really missing anything at WDW. I've never been there (been to DL a billion times) so I guess I'll stick to it.
Old 08-15-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VitiminJ View Post
I'm shocked there is no mention of Cars Land. I haven't been to WDW in 20 years. I've been to DL/CA twice in the past 3 years. I really enjoy the size of the park, as you mentioned. It's very convenient in terms of size. You can easily cover each park in one day.
Yeah, Cars Lans, and Mickeys Toontown are both very well done and I enjoyed both of those exclusive rides. We were there for 3 days during a busy time, but got to see everything we wanted. I also forgot to mention the Frozen Musical, very well done, though I wish it would have been the Aladdin one still since I like that movie more.
Old 08-16-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
Yeah, Cars Lans, and Mickeys Toontown are both very well done and I enjoyed both of those exclusive rides. We were there for 3 days during a busy time, but got to see everything we wanted. I also forgot to mention the Frozen Musical, very well done, though I wish it would have been the Aladdin one still since I like that movie more.
Cars Land currently trumps anything at WDW, especially when the sun goes down. They really went all out in the creation of the "land" within the park.
Old 08-17-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[unpopular_opinion] Theme-parks, especially Disney ones, are for children, and any adult enjoying themselves there without their own children is suspect and should be put on a watch list. Creepsters, the lot of them![/unpopular_opinion]

Been to Disneyland countless times when I was a kid - been there once since I turned 18 (took my 10-year old niece there about 5 years ago), and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I honestly don't see how grown ass adults can tolerate that place. But to each their own, I suppose...
Old 08-17-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To each their own for sure. I definitely share the opinion that some of the kids are totally out of control and can ruin the experience. But for the most part they are easily avoided.

My wife and I went on many trips to theme parks without kids. You either enjoy going on rides, including the many thrill rides aimed adults, or you don't. None of it has to do with wanting to be around young kids for creepy reasons. "shrug"

And of course the option to have fun with your kids that shares you love for these parks is just the icing on the cake.
Old 08-17-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am going to Disneyland for the first time in October. I went to WDW once or twice as a kid, 40 years ago.

So, taking my 5 1/2 year old daughter for one day only. Anyone got some tips and/or a good itinerary?
Old 08-18-16, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I am going to Disneyland for the first time in October. I went to WDW once or twice as a kid, 40 years ago.

So, taking my 5 1/2 year old daughter for one day only. Anyone got some tips and/or a good itinerary?
Do you plan to visit both parks or just one? Disneyland will have more rides that she could enjoy, but California Adventure has Cars Land which is incredible (if she's into that movie at all).

If you do both parks, keep in mind that the Fastpass system is not connected between parks, so with a little planning you can really take advantage of that and have minimal waits. Since they are literally across from each other, it's not as daunting as it sounds.

Either way, if your visit does include Cars Land you will want to head straight there when the gates open. From there you have to decide if you want to get in the Radiator Springs Racers line or the Fastpass line for that ride.

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
[unpopular_opinion] Theme-parks, especially Disney ones, are for children, and any adult enjoying themselves there without their own children is suspect and should be put on a watch list. Creepsters, the lot of them![/unpopular_opinion].
Well, luckily we won't have to deal with you while at the parks!
Old 08-18-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any suggestions would be directly related the answers to these questions:

How tall is she? (what can she ride based on height requirements)
Will she ride some of the more thrilling rides if she is tall enough?
Will you, and other adults with you, be wanting to ride things your daughter can't/won't ride?
Are you the kind of family that will be there first thing in the morning when the park opens and stay till closing?
When (what date) are you going?

We went to DLR many times while my daughter was both below the height most requirements and after. So I can tell you first hand that plans change quite a bit when you have to focus on one option or the other.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-18-16 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Do you plan to visit both parks or just one? Disneyland will have more rides that she could enjoy, but California Adventure has Cars Land which is incredible (if she's into that movie at all).

If you do both parks, keep in mind that the Fastpass system is not connected between parks, so with a little planning you can really take advantage of that and have minimal waits. Since they are literally across from each other, it's not as daunting as it sounds.

Either way, if your visit does include Cars Land you will want to head straight there when the gates open. From there you have to decide if you want to get in the Radiator Springs Racers line or the Fastpass line for that ride.
She isn't a Cars fanatic, more of a princess. But honestly, I know nothing of what you describe, that there's two parks or what the heck Fastpass is. I just thought I was going to Disneyland.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Any suggestions would be directly related the answers to these questions:

How tall is she? (what can she ride based on height requirements)
Will she ride some of the more thrilling rides if she is tall enough?
Will you, and other adults with you, be wanting to ride things your daughter can't/won't ride?
Are you the kind of family that will be there first thing in the morning when the park opens and stay till closing?
When (what date) are you going?

We went to DLR many times while my daughter was both below the height most requirements and after. So I can tell you first hand that plans change quite a bit when you have to focus on one option or the other.
She is only about 42" so she will be unable to do a lot of rides by herself, but we'll happily join her if need be.

She will ride stuff if she's able, she doesn't have much fear.

Eh, sure, I'd hop on a ride or two, but this trip is for her, so no, not if my ride messes with her fun time.

No, not a first thing kind of family unless we need to be. We want to a have a full day, sure, but she's not even 6, so there's an inherent limit to what we can do in a day.

Early October.
Old 08-18-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She is only about 42" so she will be unable to do a lot of rides by herself, but we'll happily join her if need be.

She will ride stuff if she's able, she doesn't have much fear.

Eh, sure, I'd hop on a ride or two, but this trip is for her, so no, not if my ride messes with her fun time.

No, not a first thing kind of family unless we need to be. We want to a have a full day, sure, but she's not even 6, so there's an inherent limit to what we can do in a day.

Early October.
You may want to consider if doing DLR for only part of one day is even a good idea. Beyond the cost there is also a limit to just how much you can do in less than a full day if you don't take advantage of fastpasses (which often can't be used if one only shows up for the peak crowd times in the afternoon) and arriving early or staying late. Sadly for families like yours DLR has become far too crowded on a regular basis to make just dropping in on any random afternoon a good idea unless a person is happy just wandering around the park and only doing a handful of shows and/or rides.

If you do go I would recommend going to the DL site and reading up on fastpasses. They can be awesome when used correctly, but it takes reading up on them to know how to use them best to your advantage. People could give you special tips, but if you know nothing about them, the tips will not make sense.
Old 08-18-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For Princess stuff, I think there are mainly only two things in CA Adventure, the Little Mermaid ride (which is actually very efficient) and the nearby Ariel themed restaurant, where you can set up a special lunch and meet like six or so princesses all in one go. Other than hat, I don't even think the princesses roam the park, do they? It's more a Pixar themed place. They do have a Disney Jr. show featuring Sofia though.

Disneyland has, of course, the castle and Fantasy Land, which is always super crowded because the rides aren't as efficient as far as capacity goes, plus no fast passes. There, you'll also find Bippity Boppity Boutique where you can schedule a makeup session to get her dressed up as a princess with hair and all. Of course it's an added cost but as a one time thing probably not too bad. I think there's a pavilion where they rotate little plays with princesses in them, and there are princesses around the park, as well as a Tinkerbelle meet and greet. Then there's also the parade (which usually has more characters than the Cal Adventures one) and fireworks, but you'll want to set up in a good spot and wait, which actually isn't bad when you have kids at need downtime anyway. (CA Adventure has the water show but you'll want fast passes for that). Fireworks aren't every day, though, I think due to Anaheim regulations (or maybe cost).

My daughter is a little older than yours and finally was tall and brave enough to ride Matterhorn and loved it.

A word of warning, in October there are some days where they have special trick or treat nights that you need separate tickets for, and they basically kick everyone else out of the park after a certain time. I doubt it's worth it to pay full price on those days. On the plus side, the Haunted Mansion should be Jack themed by then.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-18-16 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
A word of warning, in October there are some days where they have special trick or treat nights that you need separate tickets for, and they basically kick everyone else out of the park after a certain time.
Great point. That an be as early as 5:00 or 6:00 IIRC. But it only affects one of the two parks. DCA would still be open till it's regular closing time. Or even open later than normal to accommodate DL closing early.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-18-16 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-19-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got back from 5 days at DL/CA!
we were watching the Frozen live musical when it suddenly stopped about 10 minutes in and cancelled the show; everyone had to leave.
Old 08-19-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I just got back from 5 days at DL/CA!
we were watching the Frozen live musical when it suddenly stopped about 10 minutes in and cancelled the show; everyone had to leave.
Hope nobody in the production was hurt. In at least one scenario like that in the past, the two stunt persons flying around on Aladdin's carpet almost fell off when it tipped during the previous Aladdin show.
Old 08-19-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LurkerDan, are you staying in a hotel for that day, or are you with friends? If you have a hotel, get to the parks early and do what you can. Then let your daughter rest--nap, play at the pool, etc at the hotel after lunch. Peak afternoon hours for crowds can be miserable with a little kid (or without one!). Then you could go back in the evening. It's what we still do, at least, to avoid crankiness, and my kids are adults. Because believe me, a kid who is subjected to hours and hours of the "fun" of a marathon day at DL can have quite a melt down. :-)
Old 08-19-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We're not staying at the park or even near it; we're staying near Venice Beach (because that's where we have relatives and we want to hit the beach). It's just a long weekend trip, and we only have one day for Disneyland. And honestly, I don't care if we see everything or do everything. My daughter can't even read yet, it's not like she has a DL itinerary all planned out. The other kiddo with us is coming on our dime, so she will be happy with whatever we do.

I just want to go there and give both kids a great one-day experience. There isn't a specific ride or area we need to hit, nor do we need to do all princesses. Anything fun for a 6 year old will be great. We're planning on being there all day, within reason. Somewhere between 6-8 hours. We'll have to work some mealtime/downtime in there.
Old 08-19-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well in that case try and catch the new Frozen theater show (can almost always get in if you don't care where you sit). Watch the schedule for showtimes and show up at least 15 minutes early.
Old 08-25-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, just found out that a friend can get me passes to California Adventure, but not the Disneyland side.

I know nothing about the difference, and what it means to a 6 year old. The kiddos don't have specific expectations or knowledge, they just know that they're going to "disneyland" for a day. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what is in "California Adventure" and what we miss by not going to "Disneyland"?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.