Reload this Page >

"No Soliciting" signs..

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

"No Soliciting" signs..

Old 06-13-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"No Soliciting" signs..

I'm not sure what it is about the area where we live but we are a highway for solicitors. If it was only 1 or 2 a week I would care but we get about 3-4 a day on the average. We have a courtyard with a gate which we don't want to lock because we get lots of deliveries from UPS or whomever and we want them to have easy access. But solar, pest control, realtors, religious folks, etc.. everyone else opens the gate and pounds on the door and rings the bell which causes the dogs to bark and it's just annoying and messes up my conference calls.

So, having said all that, I was thinking of getting a little "no soliciting" sign and popping it on the gate. Does this actually deter any of these people at all? Or do they typically not care at all and just claim they actually aren't "selling" anything?
Old 06-13-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "No Soliciting" signs..

In my experience every single one of them thinks it does not apply to them. I think they are even trained to ignore them.
Old 06-13-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Works for my house, it actually stopped solicitors. I do live in a single family home, so not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 06-13-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have found a moat to be the most effective deterrent.
Old 06-13-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Solicitors will be given a free tour of the tool shed"
Old 06-13-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one on my door for a while. It seemed to reduce the number of solicitors, and it gave me license to unleash my asshole nature on the ones who ignored the sign.
Old 06-13-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We have one on our window by the front door that says No Solicitors, but also says "No Politics, No Candy, No Subscriptions, No Religion."

It has cut down on people ringing our doorbell by 95%, the only ones that still do are the clueless kids selling stuff to raise money for prom or whatever, and I politely tell them the sign applies to them as well and close the door.
Old 06-13-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have this sign:

"Solicitors - If you are looking to make a sale, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you leave right now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Works for me.
Old 06-13-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The religious nut bags that roam my neighborhood ignore the sign I have on my front door. I opened it once and a Jehovah's Witness said he wasn't selling anything and handed me a pamphlet. I didn't say anything rude and politely said no thanks. I think people like that are totally oblivious to the fact they are actually selling something.
Old 06-13-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to get alot more solicitors in years past.... In 2013 I put up a "No Solicitors" sign on my front door. Since then I've only had a few...so apparently they do listen...somewhat.

The two that I can recall that have knocked...A Democratic candidate solicitor and for some reason an insurance and investment guy....I said the following "Apparently you can't read the fucking sign...". I point it out and slam the door.

I hate solicitors and advertising in general.

Luckily I park my squad in my garage so its not sitting in the driveway...so they didn't know I do what I do...and make a complaint.
Old 06-13-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

When I lived in Long Beach some twenty years ago, I lived in a building with a sign that said "No Peddlers". I always wanted to ring up the managers office on the intercom and say "Hello, I am but a humble peddler. Would you care to sample my wares?"
Old 06-13-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I ignored them when I sold books door to door in Florida 28 years ago.
Old 06-13-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I'm not sure what it is about the area where we live but we are a highway for solicitors. If it was only 1 or 2 a week I would care but we get about 3-4 a day on the average. We have a courtyard with a gate which we don't want to lock because we get lots of deliveries from UPS or whomever and we want them to have easy access. But solar, pest control, realtors, religious folks, etc.. everyone else opens the gate and pounds on the door and rings the bell which causes the dogs to bark and it's just annoying and messes up my conference calls.

So, having said all that, I was thinking of getting a little "no soliciting" sign and popping it on the gate. Does this actually deter any of these people at all? Or do they typically not care at all and just claim they actually aren't "selling" anything?
It means you live in a nice area. People aren't going door to door selling things in Compton.
Old 06-13-16, 03:50 PM

no soliciting sign helps but will not stop all of them. Worth a shot.
Old 06-13-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have one on my door, I can't say if it really works or not, but as others have said, having the sign makes me feel better about being an asshole to anyone that knocks on the door.

I point to the sign and ask them if they would like to purchase my 'Learn How to Read' program
it's amazing how many don't understand
then I am just an ass to them

The jesus freaks that come to the door are even better, they don't think they are selling anything and that starts some really humerus conversations. They are selling jesus, and I am not a buyer, the confused looks are funny.

The good news is my entire neighborhood is posted private property no trespassing, I just call the police on them (after giving fair warning). Suspicious person in the neighborhood and give a description of clothes, etc,

That solicitor won't ever come back
Old 06-13-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just come to the door naked. It's the best NO SOLICITING sign I've ever put up.

Or got up.
Old 06-13-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I just come to the door naked. It's the best NO SOLICITING sign I've ever put up.
That must make Girl Scout cookie season a little awkward.
Old 06-13-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm not expecting anyone, I just don't answer. Nothing good ever came from answering the door when you didn't expect anyone.
Old 06-13-16, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I think i'll go ahead and get a small sign and see if it helps any. Seems like it likely will.. at least a little bit.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
If I'm not expecting anyone, I just don't answer. Nothing good ever came from answering the door when you didn't expect anyone.
So there's 2 things with this. 1) If I don't answer the dogs will continue to bark for 5 more minutes thinking there is someone still there. The annoyance isn't going to the door - it's the fact that there is someone at the door at all. 2) I used to never go to the door. But, one day, someone thought that meant we weren't home and he tried to break in. According to the police you should always answer the door to show that you are home. Not sure I really agree with the police on this one..
Old 06-13-16, 06:57 PM
Suspended

I don't need a sign on the door to treat assholes like shit who try to sell shit. Bible thumpers and workers who work for companies that think it's ok to do this shit after the sun goes down are the ones I can't stand.

It's summertime, so should be hearing the yearly shit of ghetto dwellers with their candles and candy from the $store going door to door and raping old women and beating up old men and rob them.
Old 06-13-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

If I ever decide to sell "No Solicitors" signs door-to-door, I'll start with you, Zod.
Old 06-13-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Since they are interrupting your work, you should watch out the window and wait for them to engage a neighbor in a conversation/sales pitch. Run over and rudely interrupt.

Or leave the dogs out in the front yard.
Old 06-13-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
That must make Girl Scout cookie season a little awkward.
You know, it really does.
Old 06-13-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
If I ever decide to sell "No Solicitors" signs door-to-door, I'll start with you, Zod.
And I will buy them. Just like I buy everything from folks that come to my door.. so that they'll just go away!
Old 06-13-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
The jesus freaks that come to the door are even better, they don't think they are selling anything and that starts some really humerus conversations. They are selling jesus, and I am not a buyer, the confused looks are funny.
"So, this right here is my arm..."

I can see why they'd be confused.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.