Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Job Advice Please...

Old 04-09-16, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Job Advice Please...

Thats great!

Its a good job to be in too....we have senior centers popping up all over the place in recent years due to the aging population.
Old 04-09-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Congrats! Have you given any thought on continuing your education?
Old 04-09-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Congratulations
Old 04-10-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent, glad to hear!
Old 04-10-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Congrats! Have you given any thought on continuing your education?
Congratulations PatD!

Once you get settled in and comfortable, I would recommend following The Bus's advice. Don't rush into it now, but find out if the company offers ANY kind of opportunity, benefit, or incentive to further your education or skill set. It may not necessarily be college, it could be professional certifications, but it all helps you to move up the ladder (in that company or another one).
Old 04-10-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^

Good idea! And thank you all for the kind words!
Old 04-11-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent news! Thanks for the update and good luck.
Old 04-11-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aw man, you spoiled the end of Pursuit of Happyness.

Congrats about the job! Best of luck.
Old 04-12-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Congratulations on the job!! Finding a job is extremely hard, and having the hardships you explained even harder. So give yourself a big pat on the back. Try to do your best so you can gain work experience and again once you get comfortable you can look at further your education, when time allows.
Old 04-12-16, 03:30 PM
Admin-Thanos

Nice work PatD. Good luck on the new job.
Old 03-08-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I did a "job search" search and this thread looked good to put my question. What's the fine line between persistant and being a pest? I went to a government job fair about a month ago and found a position that I liked, and sent a follow up email with a contact their about a week ago asking about if any decision had been made about who they were going to interview. I got a reply back saying thanks for reaching out, and that the hiring manager hasn't made a decision yet on who they want to talk too. I was thinking about following up with another email today, just to continue to show my interest in the position and ask if they decided yet on interviews. Is that being a pest or should I just move on?
Old 03-08-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
So I did a "job search" search and this thread looked good to put my question. What's the fine line between persistant and being a pest? I went to a government job fair about a month ago and found a position that I liked, and sent a follow up email with a contact their about a week ago asking about if any decision had been made about who they were going to interview. I got a reply back saying thanks for reaching out, and that the hiring manager hasn't made a decision yet on who they want to talk too. I was thinking about following up with another email today, just to continue to show my interest in the position and ask if they decided yet on interviews. Is that being a pest or should I just move on?

Move on. Government jobs are static and have a pretty straightforward approach of recruiting. When you say you found a job that you liked that means you applied for it, right? You filled out the application, gave them your resume, etc.

They'll either send you a notice to schedule an interview or they won't. Don't pester them.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-08-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gave them a resume at their career fair, and did the online application. I followed up with a contact i got from a survey they sent me. She was very receptive that I contacted her, and just said that the hiring manger had not decided yet on interviews. They seemed very open to my experience.
Old 03-08-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Then leave it at that. They'll either make contact or they won't.
Old 03-08-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I gave them a resume at their career fair, and did the online application. I followed up with a contact i got from a survey they sent me. She was very receptive that I contacted her, and just said that the hiring manger had not decided yet on interviews. They seemed very open to my experience.
There is also a good chance that your follow up was not passed on to the hiring manager.
Old 03-08-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bluelite...as someone who spent a crazy 16 months (not consecutive, but still) out of the past 3 years 8 months unemployed (I know...yikes, right) I am rooting for you!! That being said, Why So Blu is correct...they will either contact you or they wont, and you did your due diligence and followed up but any more attempted contact for updates on where you stand and your already slim chance of getting the job will evaporate like a snowball in hell.

Nowadays even following up once after you have formally applied (typically on-line) is risky but a 2nd attempt will come off as someone who is desperate.

Stay positive my friend! Even if the stress gets to you and you have to literally step away from looking for jobs to apply on a daily basis that is fine, only applying to several jobs 3-4 days out of the week instead of every single day will not destroy your chances if you just keep at it. The job with your name is out there and if you flip over enough rocks you will find it. The best of luck!!

Last edited by Inhumans99; 03-08-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm already at the desperation point, I can barely look at my parents in the eye due to feeling like a failure to them. I'm at a little over nine months since I left Amazon.
Old 03-08-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It’s government. They move unbelievably slow ...

Local, county, state, or federal?

(I actually sent a resume for a county job last week and am going to make a follow up call tomorrow. I know they haven’t received any other interest in several months.)
Old 03-09-18, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah government jobs move at a snails pace.
Old 03-09-18, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's the feds, especially, be prepared to wait forever. You ever tried calling the Internal Revenue or the Social Security Administration? You wait for an hour for a human being to answer the fucking phone.
Old 03-09-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
If it's the feds, especially, be prepared to wait forever. You ever tried calling the Internal Revenue or the Social Security Administration? You wait for an hour for a human being to answer the fucking phone.
I tried a couple of Johnson County jobs, and heard back in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately it was a no though. The job I applied for was with Lenexa, KS were I live right now. I know the hell of applying for federal government jobs. The national archives took 2-3 months before I got a rejection letter back, it turned out all veterans are first in line before civilian hires.
Old 03-09-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My brother in law applied for a government job, he had like a dozen interviews, physical exams, lie detector, drug tests all in the span of months and at the end of the day he got rejected.

As others have said do NOT inquiry about this job again. Keep applying to more jobs. It took me a year to get the job i currently have and I handed out my resume like flyers to every company available and reached out to recruiters on Linkedin and study so much to prepare for the interviews (because these were tech jobs)
Old 03-12-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you disability income will allow for it, find a part-time job while you finish the classes needed for your AA degree. That will give you more time to figure out what you REALLY want to do on a full-time basis.
Old 03-12-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work at a place that I would call quasi government. As others have said, it can take a long time for things to happen, depending on the department. HR people tend to be limited by the department that's hiring. Our HR team looks at applications, eliminates the ones that don't meet the prerequisites and send us a summary of applications along with their applications in a pretty short time. That leaves it up to the department managers to select the candidates they want to interview. I've seen departments here move on applications almost as soon as the hiring period has ended, and I've also seen them start to call applicants for initial interviews 4-6 months afterward.

Regarding checking the status, I guess it depends on how it's set up. Where I currently work, if an applicant were to cal to check on status, he would be transferred to HR, who would answer any questions and most likely not tell the hiring manager. So, those phone calls would have no bearing on who we select for interviews or to hire. It might even help get things moving, because HR might put pressure on the manager to narrow things down if HE is getting too many inquiries. The best thing is when there is an online status tracker (that actually gets updated regularly).

Of course, all places are different, so what might work or be policy at one place could be totally different at another. Good luck.
Old 03-14-18, 10:51 AM

OP - not a whole lot of advice to give here, but I wanted to applaud you in wanting to re-enter the workforce. I know there are a lot of people out there who are capable of working, but just sit at home subsisting on welfare checks.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.