Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?
Yes
80.00%
No
15.00%
What are you high?
5.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?

Old 12-08-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Would you be sad if DVDTalk.com went away?

I would miss it, but would forget about the place within a month of deleting the bookmark. This is my daily stop, and where I get the bulk of my movie info.

This place is pretty harsh to new members. While I agree that new members should learn the lay of the land, I think it would be beneficial if old-timers would guide them with a softer hand.
Old 12-08-15, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Have to be honest and say no. It would suck but I wouldn't be "sad". Something else would inevitably replace the experience I get here and life would go on.
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

You already stuck on the first step and it ain't even gone yet
Old 12-08-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. this place is lame
Old 12-08-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

You already stuck on the first step and it ain't even gone yet
Old 12-08-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm obviously biased as a '99er with a lot invested here, but I don't think you're entirely correct there.

Obviously life would go on and not every user would be 'sad', but I think the experience here would be hard to replace. I've browsed a ton of forums over the years, since before the Internet actually, and as others have described, the mix of intelligence and humor in the regulars here is irreplaceable.
Let me clarify a bit - I don't expect to find a forum just like this. I would likely have to go to several places just to piece together a similar experience.
Old 01-03-16, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Fuck all you pieces of shit. This site really went to shit when some mod fucked up and then everybody called out on their shit and then it was damn near lazy fuck anarchy here. Groucho isn't funny anymore. Rocshemp disappeared. C unt was taken away from me. But I'm still here, motherfuckers!

Mobile version is basic as fuck. And so much more.

I dunno. Maybe if the people who run this shithole home of ours got their shit straight it might be better. Right now? It's mostly a common core of c unts doing their fucking thing here. But we're dying. Also why the fuck are we still called DVDtalk? Fucktards don't know that that shit pretty much kills us? Dumb shits.
iB seems to have that effect on everything they purchase. Guess Geoff got his timing right.
Old 01-03-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
iB seems to have that effect on everything they purchase. Guess Geoff got his timing right.
...although High Def Digest seems to get new features / upgrades pretty regularly. I think it's probably a factor of a few things:

1) DVD Talk is built on a bunch of disparate and really old tech, including an ancient version of Movable Type and a custom review CMS that turns 15 (!) this year. These systems are either so outdated that they can't really be brought up to current standards without starting from scratch, or they're weird proprietary things that would take an enormous effort to get into another product. Because things are stored in so many different places in so many different products, take that significant effort and multiply it by...well, a lot. We all want a redesign, but you'd need all your fingers and probably several toes to count all the different header files throughout the site, which is why you see references to HD DVD and columns that haven't been updated in years depending on where you click.

2) I suspect that the folks running HDD might have the technical savvy to shoulder at least some of that burden themselves, while DVD Talk is more dependent on IB's tech team to take care of things. I would love to overhaul DVD Talk's review CMS, but my understanding is that it's one of those things where they can't afford to have me do the work for free. (It's an accountability thing that I totally understand, and I realize that the current review CMS -- my first big project out of college, back in 2001 -- probably doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.)

3) I have no inside information to support this, but my guess is that DVD Talk is successful enough to keep around but not successful enough to warrant any real investment. I mean, it's unlikely that there'd be a meaningful return on any time/money they sunk into it.

Still, it's kind of embarrassing that the version of vBulletin we're running celebrates its eighth birthday this year, and vBulletin is our corporate sibling for crying out loud. Then there's the whole thing with DVD Savant having to post his reviews elsewhere because DVD Talk's software isn't cooperating.
Old 01-04-16, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
...although High Def Digest seems to get new features / upgrades pretty regularly.
I did notice some of those upgrades but their forum is on life support. A majority of the new threads stem from news announcements or reviews.

I would love to overhaul DVD Talk's review CMS, but my understanding is that it's one of those things where they can't afford to have me do the work for free.
Well, what if they put you on their books and paid you an annual salary of $1.00?

(It's an accountability thing that I totally understand, and I realize that the current review CMS -- my first big project out of college, back in 2001 -- probably doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.)
I didn't realize you had a hand in that and times were different back then.

Still, it's kind of embarrassing that the version of vBulletin we're running celebrates its eighth birthday this year, and vBulletin is our corporate sibling for crying out loud. Then there's the whole thing with DVD Savant having to post his reviews elsewhere because DVD Talk's software isn't cooperating.
It would be nice if some additional investment was put into upgrading the site. This was one of the first DVD forums I frequented, back in 1999, other than some blogs or news sites, and time hasn't been too kind to this site. It's too bad a group of members can't lead the charge. I've lost count as to the number of other optical disc / home theater forums which have since died since the early days. Those were the good old days.
Old 01-05-16, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

So have they registered UHDTalk.com? A new format switch would seem to be as good a time as any to update things.
Old 01-06-16, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

They should at least grab that and have it link to the site. There's pros and cons to changing the name, but I guess at this point they should attract outsiders with the fact that we don't talk about JUST DVDs here.

As for how old the software is, I don't see why that matters. Being rather computer illiterate I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Changing the fonts and stuff might freshen it up a bit, but more often than not changes annoy me. I still don't visit Home Theater Forum as much as I used to ever since they made a big change to their format- posting text is concentrated on the left side of the screen with little to nothing on the right. I see they still do that now, I've gotten a bit used to it but it's still annoying.

Next year will be the DVD format's 20th anniversary- it would be cool to have some sort of big retrospective for that. Sadly though for movies the format has gotten long in the tooth, but we likely wouldn't have Blu-Ray the way it is now without DVD before it. (Having watched hundreds of Blu-Rays, that format ain't perfect either but it still beats streaming.)
Old 01-06-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
As for how old the software is, I don't see why that matters. Being rather computer illiterate I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The software powering the blogs/columns is broken.

The review CMS/frontend lacks features competing sites (particularly blu-ray.com) have. Review search in particular is substandard, and it doesn't effectively cross-promote relevant reviews the way any modern system would (impacting revenue since users who click on one review are less likely to click onto another). From a data entry/administration standpoint, the CMS is incredibly poor, logging users out when submitting a review if a session expires (resulting in a complete loss of work), the wish list feature is embarrassing (and no longer pulls in titles from Amazon the way it used to), and the list goes on and on.

Pretty much everything about this site screams "2003", and I do think that's part of the reason why its popularity has dropped off. It looks and feels abandoned. That's not to diminish the very hard work that people like John put into the site, but look at how we prominently feature columns that haven't been updated in years, there's that "DVD Blowouts" sidebar in reviews that's years out of date, the 'Shop' link in the header on every page showcases some retailers that don't even exist anymore, we still promote videogametalk.com which hasn't had a post going on five years now, the Easter Egg database hasn't been touched since 2010, I think DVD Talk Radio has gone something like 7 or 8 years without an update but still gets prominent billing...

Not to keep going on and on about blu-ray.com, but have you looked at some of their bells and whistles? The way they'll shoot you an email if a Blu-ray disc on Amazon drops to a price you specify, they have an outstanding deal tracker, they let users track and showcase their collections... It's the sort of thing that builds a loyal community beyond discussion. Those are features DVD Talk should have had as well.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
So have they registered UHDTalk.com? A new format switch would seem to be as good a time as any to update things.
Troy Stiffler registered it. Seriously!
Old 01-06-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

How did I miss this thread?

Anyhoo, yeah, I'm not on the internet all that much, and this is one of the few places I read/post while at work. As others have said, it runs the gamut of what interests me; movies, music, videogames, etc. Sure, it'd be nice if it were a bit more busy, but it's not like it's dead, and some forums can be too busy where after just a few minutes, nothing is left to be said and the only back and forth is between a couple assholes who just talk past each other. I think we (mostly) avoid that here. We mostly seem to be around the same age, on the same page, with the same interests, so it's a very familiar/safe place for most of us, with a good balance between objective information, subjective opinion, serious discussion and jokes. Very few forums (if any) have the balance between those 4 things that this place does.

As for me, yeah, I might get taken far more seriously than I intend to, but that may be due to the way I write (or the way you read), who knows! But it's still a good time here - when it stops being so, that I guess I'll stop coming.
Old 01-06-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Not to keep going on and on about blu-ray.com, but have you looked at some of their bells and whistles? The way they'll shoot you an email if a Blu-ray disc on Amazon drops to a price you specify, they have an outstanding deal tracker, they let users track and showcase their collections... It's the sort of thing that builds a loyal community beyond discussion. Those are features DVD Talk should have had as well.
Yeah, deals and tracking collections are things that keep people coming back.

People have also said that the sheer size of the DVDTalk database is another barrier to conversion.
Old 01-06-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So then wipe it out and start from scratch. Keep forum names and logins but completely scrap the database. Yes it's nice being able to go back and see a post from 15 years ago but is it really necessary? Yes it's nice seeing a high post count but are there really enough members posting here that someone couldn't go in and manually update the post count on a new board?
Old 01-06-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
So then wipe it out and start from scratch. Keep forum names and logins but completely scrap the database. Yes it's nice being able to go back and see a post from 15 years ago but is it really necessary? Yes it's nice seeing a high post count but are there really enough members posting here that someone couldn't go in and manually update the post count on a new board?
I agree with this. It may cause numerous complaints at first "Well we use to have a thread for it" but there really is no reason not to wipe out the old data.

I seriously would like to see this site upgraded but damn, it just doesn't look like it's going to ever happen.
Old 01-06-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Plus you could lock/archive all the old threads and have them in a separate area to refer to.
Old 01-10-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I forgot about DVD Talk Radio- I never listened to that, but might nowadays since my computer is hooked up to my good sound system (and big TV). Who wants to get that going again? I could do it myself but I doubt I'd hold many people's interest for very long

The main thing that got me to this site back in the day was the Bargains posts- that was when you had ridiculously low prices at many stores plus some that would outdo those just because of their price matching policies. These days I'm happy if a store has something I want in stock at all, though being on a limited income (hopefully to change soon!) I still have to be cheap.

I thought there already was an archived thread section here, but I haven't really looked at it aside from the 9/11/01 discussion. Things like that certainly need to be preserved, and I'm not even talking ironically this time.

Do people still send updates to the Easter Egg database? I see there's a form there to do that. I remember when some of those were a HUGE deal, and I've gotten so used to checking for hidden stuff that I hardly even think about it anymore. The ones where you have to enter specific numbers are the biggest pain, but I've learned to click everywhere to find stuff hidden in menus.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 01-10-16 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Well, we might find out.

Forum maintenance and changes about to happen:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/announcements.html

See you on the other side, maybe...