Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Chicago Public Transportation Help needed please!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-22-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has a weekend reunion with (girl)friends from Detroit in a couple of weeks, they meet in Chicago for the weekend. Typically, I'll drive her in from Iowa, one of her friends will meet us somewhere around Schaumburg, and my daughter and I will head up to Milwaukee from there to spend the weekend with my other daughter and her family. Then reverse the trip on Sunday to head home.

Just got an email from my wife, the friend that normally picks her up will not have a car this year, so they suggested that I drop her off at a train station in Rosemont, and she can take the train downtown (she'll only have one small suitcase, and we have done the trains in Chicago in the past, not at all worried about this aspect of the plan).

I'm wondering if there is a better option, something that would keep me out of that O'Hare area traffic around rush hour on a Friday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Chicago Public Transportation Help needed please!

I assume you're driving in via I-90? Check the Metra schedules/stations; that's your other option besides the El.
Old 09-22-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
My wife has a weekend reunion with (girl)friends from Detroit in a couple of weeks, they meet in Chicago for the weekend. Typically, I'll drive her in from Iowa, one of her friends will meet us somewhere around Schaumburg, and my daughter and I will head up to Milwaukee from there to spend the weekend with my other daughter and her family. Then reverse the trip on Sunday to head home.

Just got an email from my wife, the friend that normally picks her up will not have a car this year, so they suggested that I drop her off at a train station in Rosemont, and she can take the train downtown (she'll only have one small suitcase, and we have done the trains in Chicago in the past, not at all worried about this aspect of the plan).

I'm wondering if there is a better option, something that would keep me out of that O'Hare area traffic around rush hour on a Friday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You could drop her off at a highway-convenient Metra (commuter rail) station. Arlington Park, for example.
http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...ystem_map.html
Old 09-22-15, 02:31 PM

Thanks both of you, I wasn't aware of the Metra option, knew there was some commuter service available, but I repeatedly wound up at the CTA website. Looks like we might be able to come in from up north, hit the Metra line in Harvard without ever having to wade into the O'Hare traffic.
Old 09-22-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Their first four albums are classics, they only used the name, Chicago Transit Authority, for their debut album, which is a must have, changed to it Chicago after legal action by the real Chicago Transit Authority. After Terry Kath died, they made cheesy crap music. Hope this gets you started, their version of I'm a Man is a blistering jam!
Old 09-22-15, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If she's on the train with Jake Gyllenhaal and he starts acting all weird, she should get off at the next available stop.
Old 10-05-15, 12:43 PM

Quick bump to say thanks, we did the Metra line from Harvard for both trips, Friday and Sunday, I continued to Milwaukee with no traffic issues until we hit Milwaukee, no getting around that. It was a dream trip compared to past years when I had to make my way into the suburbs and back out again around 5:00 on a Friday. I think we might do this for future family trips into Chicago, pay $2/day for parking at the Metra station instead of $45/day at the hotel, we try to use CTA once we get into the city anyway. So thanks to those who gave useful advice in this thread.
Old 10-05-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Quick bump to say thanks, we did the Metra line from Harvard for both trips, Friday and Sunday, I continued to Milwaukee with no traffic issues until we hit Milwaukee, no getting around that. It was a dream trip compared to past years when I had to make my way into the suburbs and back out again around 5:00 on a Friday. I think we might do this for future family trips into Chicago, pay $2/day for parking at the Metra station instead of $45/day at the hotel, we try to use CTA once we get into the city anyway. So thanks to those who gave useful advice in this thread.
Glad it worked out. I believe some (many?) of the stations prohibit overnight parking, so make sure you find one that allows it.
Old 10-05-15, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by leepyswetr View Post
Glad it worked out. I believe some (many?) of the stations prohibit overnight parking, so make sure you find one that allows it.
I checked, the Harvard station has two lots, one with no overnight parking, but a second that permits overnight parking.