Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-28-15, 06:27 PM
Political Exile

Now here's a real international incident. An American asshole illegally killed a radio collared African lion which had been well known and loved, as well as the subject of research.

I hope the U.S. extradites him to Zimbabwe and that he gets prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

R.I.P. Cecil.

Cecil the lion in Hwange, Zimbabwe - photograph from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-dentist.html

http://news.yahoo.com/american-denti...192723625.html

July 28, 2015

Cecil the lion, a famous black-maned resident of Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park, died at the hands of an American dentist, conservationists claim.

They say Walter Palmer paid $50,000 to hunt and kill Cecil with a bow and arrow. The incident occurred around July 6, with a professional hunting outfit reportedly luring Cecil outside the boundaries of the protected reserve using a dead animal as bait.

“Mr. Palmer shot Cecil with a bow and arrow but this shot didn't kill him,” Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, said in a statement. “They tracked him down and found him 40 hours later when they shot him with a gun. Cecil, who was known all over the world would have earned millions of dollars just from sightseeing. Walter Palmer apparently paid $50,000 for the kill."

It wasn’t the first kill for Palmer, who has multiple photos posted on the website Trophy Hunt America showing the Minnesota resident posing with dead lions, rhinos, water buffalo, warthogs, and other animals.

The Telegraph is reporting from two independent sources that Palmer was indeed the hunter listed on the permit documents, and a spokesperson for Palmer told the news outlet that Palmer believes he is the one responsible for the lion’s death.

“As far as I understand, Walter believes that he might have shot that lion that has been referred to as Cecil,” the spokesperson said. “What he’ll tell you is that he had the proper legal permits and he had hired several professional guides, so he’s not denying that he may be the person who shot this lion. He is a big-game hunter; he hunts the world over.”

Theo Bronkhorst, the professional hunter who led Palmer to Cecil, has reportedly been suspended indefinitely from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association for the way the hunt was carried out.

“ZPHGA reiterates it will not tolerate any illegal hunting or any unethical practices by any of its members and their staff,” the organization said in a statement. “We will await the completion of the current investigation by Zimbabwe Parks Wildlife Management Authority before commenting any further.”

Park rangers and regular visitors knew the 13-year-old lion as a tourist attraction, easily approached by safari guide jeeps for photo opportunities. Cecil had a propensity for lounging in the middle of roads, said Bryan Orford, a former park guide and a longtime visitor to Hwange. Hunting such an easy target only made the killing of Cecil even more wrong, he said.

“I used to drive down the railway line road following Cecil and had to wait for him to get off the road,” Orford told TakePart last week. “This walking in front of the vehicle would go on for ages. Other times he would lie in the road, and you had to drive off the road to go around him.”

The death of Cecil not only means one less endangered African lion in the world but also could mean the demise of a whole line of cubs sired by the leader of the Hwange pride.

“The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy, Jericho, will most likely kill all Cecil's cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females,” Rodriques said. “This is standard procedure for lions.”
Old 07-28-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

I read about this today

Fucking scumbag. I hope the local media and people in his hometown crucifies this piece of shit after hearing this.

That's a beautiful lion. Shame it met such an untimely demise to some asshole hunter.
Old 07-28-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hoping his Dental clinic business goes down the toilet. He should be prosecuted, and maybe shot...
Old 07-28-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roybq View Post
I'm hoping his Dental clinic business goes down the toilet.
I was told on here that's not how the free market works. Assholes everywhere will come to his defense and sales will increase!

But, yea, his Yelp! page should be interesting as this story goes viral.
Old 07-28-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Someone had actually started a troll page on FB of the dentist and it would post updates.
Old 07-28-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't the guide be more at fault here? If he had the legal permits, etc and the guide illegally lured this lion to him, assuming the hunter had no idea it was illegally being done, the fault lies more with the guide. That is a big assumption that the hunter didn't know anything was illegal though.
Old 07-28-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. Should be. And the hunter responded to the press and said he didn't know he was doing anything illegal. The guide took the $50k and led the guy to kill a prized lion he probably didn't know he was killing.

Sad.
Old 07-28-15, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Yes. Should be. And the hunter responded to the press and said he didn't know he was doing anything illegal. The guide took the $50k and led the guy to kill a prized lion he probably didn't know he was killing.

Sad.
Even if that's all true, he's still a douchebag for hunting lions.
Old 07-28-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny didn't see any posts from grundle about Ted Nugent's hunting conquests

Isn't he a hero among the right wing NRA crowd?

Old 07-28-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I dunno. Do you eat lions? I grew up around deer hunters, so I'm accustomed to hunt-and-eat. Majestic creatures. And delicious!
Old 07-28-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an acquaintance who hunts big game in Africa (esp cape buffalo), so I'm sympathetic. Maybe it was all the guides fault, but this dentist pled guilty to making false statements about a bear he shot in Wisconsin. It's not the first time he's messed it up.

Ted Nugent has a history of screwing it up, as well. He shot a bear in Alaska illegally.
Old 07-28-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Walter Palmer, 55, of the Minneapolis suburb of Eden Prairie, pleaded guilty in 2008 to making false statements to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service about a black bear he fatally shot in western Wisconsin. Palmer had a permit to hunt but shot the animal outside the authorized zone in 2006, then tried to pass it off as being killed elsewhere, according to court documents. He was given one year probation and fined nearly $3,000."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cecil-th...006-bear-hunt/
Old 07-28-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Funny didn't see any posts from grundle about Ted Nugent's hunting conquests

Isn't he a hero among the right wing NRA crowd?
Sort of OT, but it was a little freaky that as I started scrolling past the pictures in your post, a Hardee's commercial came on the TV with the Nuge's "Stranglehold" as the background music.
Old 07-28-15, 09:10 PM

I dunno. Do you eat lions? I grew up around deer hunters, so I'm accustomed to hunt-and-eat. Majestic creatures. And delicious!

"Big game hunters" of course don't eat lion, but even if they did are you seriously equating the hunting of the two, particularly considering there are about 1 tenth of one percent the number of lions alive in the wild in the entire world vs. the number of deer in the United States alone?
Old 07-28-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd eat lion.
Old 07-28-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
It's sorta like James Holmes Killing people in the theater, except it's more acceptable because it's only animals that are being killed. But, hunters likely get the same sense form killing a lion that Holmes got from killing people.
Old 07-28-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lions are endangered. Deer aren't.
Old 07-28-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It's sorta like James Holmes Killing people in the theater, except it's more acceptable because it's only animals that are being killed. But, hunters likely get the same sense form killing a lion that Holmes got from killing people.
OK now that is just stupid.
Old 07-28-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Lions are endangered. Deer aren't.
Ironically, sometimes putting a high monetary value on hunting an animal protects the species as a whole.
Old 07-28-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, in that case, off to the guy's Facebook and Yelp profiles to say he just lost a customer!
Old 07-28-15, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
It's a sense of empowerment over another creature. The thrill of killing something more powerful than you by use of a weapon. They're not killing the animal to eat it or to save human lives. They're killing it simply for the thrill of it.
Old 07-28-15, 10:18 PM

Shooting an animal from a mile away is manly. Until you kill the Lion with your bare hands or the lion also has a high powered rifle I don't want to see your trophy or hear your tall tales.

Maybe someone will shoot the dentist and then claim "stand your ground" as their defense.
Old 07-28-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It's a sense of empowerment over another creature. The thrill of killing something more powerful than you by use of a weapon. They're not killing the animal to eat it or to save human lives. They're killing it simply for the thrill of it.
Comparing the Aurora shooting to hunting shows how completely ignorant you are on both subjects. Seriously, just utterly ignorant. Its embarrassing to even quote you in my reply.
Old 07-28-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd agree were it not for those jackass pictures so many game hunters take. I don't see any respect for the animal as Nugent (for example) grins like an idiot while he mounts the corpse.

Old 07-28-15, 10:30 PM

Comparing the Aurora shooting to hunting shows how completely ignorant you are on both subjects. Seriously, just utterly ignorant. Its embarrassing to even quote you in my reply.
OK then, how about you explain the motivation of why someone would spend $50,000 to fly across the world to kill a lion.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.