Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Old 07-10-15, 10:32 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,287
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

So yesterday I got a bill in the mail from the IRS saying I owed them more money on my 2013 tax return. I'll refrain from going into a rant about the IRS and the labyrinthine tax laws in our country and say that the error was my fault and involved the improper documentation of an IRA rollover. That the unclaimed income bumped my wife and I into the next tax bracket was just an extra kick in the balls.

The part that made me really upset and what I need help with is I had taken a couple of college classes that year and claimed the lifetime learning education credit. Both schools I attended only reported the tuition billed (as opposed to the tuition paid) thus putting the burden of proof on me as to whether or not I paid them. Because I've always filed electronically, I didn't send them any documentation showing my payments. This isn't the only time I've claimed this credit and I assume that generally speaking the IRS just gives the benefit of the doubt on that. However, since they've gone to the trouble of recalculating my tax bill, they're also asking me for the $500 education credit back.

My claiming this credit is totally legitimate and presumably I just need to send them the documentation proving that I paid the money. What qualifies as acceptable documentation? Can I just send a copy of a credit card statement? I can access what the schools refer to as 1098-t supplemental information which details my payments, but would a screenshot be sufficient? Do I need to get the school to provide hard copy documentation? I know I don't have those receipts anymore.
Old 07-10-15, 10:35 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

You can't download the 1098-t from the school?
Old 07-10-15, 10:59 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,287
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
You can't download the 1098-t from the school?
I have the 1098-T. Box #1 (tuition paid) is empty and box #2 (tuition billed) has the amount. Schools have the option of reporting one or the other. The 1098-T supplemental information is only available onscreen. It's not a part of the official 1098-T form. That's why I ask if a screenshot is acceptable, or if I need something more formal.
Old 07-10-15, 11:23 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I have the 1098-T. Box #1 (tuition paid) is empty and box #2 (tuition billed) has the amount. Schools have the option of reporting one or the other. The 1098-T supplemental information is only available onscreen. It's not a part of the official 1098-T form. That's why I ask if a screenshot is acceptable, or if I need something more formal.
Got it. Just looked at ours, and only box 2 is checked as well. Probably going to have to call the IRS and see if the screen shot will work. Strange they are questioning your payments.

What about a statement of account from the school? And sorry couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-10-15, 11:46 AM
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

I'm 98% sure you're SOL. IRS is going by what the school provided and said as your qualified school expenses. Not everything you paid to the school is qualified in the calculation of school tax credit. i.e. room and board, textbooks, and other non-tuition expenses. Schools are pretty good about identifying what is qualified and sends that information to the IRS. IRS then rely on it like the bible. I'm pretty sure they will not listen to your sob story about how much you paid, when the school only identified a portion of what you paid, even if you show them every thing you got. My guess is that you have no recourse but to pay the bill and be proud of being an American.

P.S. I may be wrong on this, but School will only use box 1 (tuition paid) instead of box 2 (tuition billed) when a student is a deadbeat and paid only portion of their school bill. i.e. if a school year tuition is $4,000 for the year and the student only paid $2,000 and disappeared. They will not let you take advantage of the entire $4,000 in the calculation of education credit. Only $2,000 should be used since that's the amount you actually paid. If you paid more than what you were billed, then that has to mean whatever you paid extra is getting identified as non-qualified expenses according to the school.
Old 07-10-15, 11:56 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

It doesn't take much. I had this happen with a rollover of a retirement account. Essentially, I did it at a time of year where the rollover was for the previous year, and I didn't get the paperwork back until the following year. A simple explanation and some paperwork from the accounts in the mail to the IRS, and it was over. Don't make more of it than you need to. Just go back and find where you paid them in your account and send it along with a little letter.
Old 07-10-15, 11:59 AM
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Holy shit, even your interaction with the IRS was a walk in the park. It really is nicer to be Dave.

Must be nice.
Old 07-10-15, 12:00 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,007
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Probably going to have to call the IRS and see if the screen shot will work.
Get ready to spend about 4 hours on hold. Bring a book.
Old 07-10-15, 12:00 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,287
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
I'm 98% sure you're SOL. IRS is going by what the school provided and said as your qualified school expenses. Not everything you paid to the school is qualified in the calculation of school tax credit. i.e. room and board, textbooks, and other non-tuition expenses. Schools are pretty good about identifying what is qualified and sends that information to the IRS. IRS then rely on it like the bible. I'm pretty sure they will not listen to your sob story about how much you paid, when the school only identified a portion of what you paid, even if you show them every thing you got. My guess is that you have no recourse but to pay the bill and be proud of being an American.
But the amounts in question don't include any room/board, etc. Box #2 on the 1098-T specifically refers to Amounts Billed for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses. Those are the numbers I used on my return. It's not a sob story. I paid like $2500 in tuition expenses and I should qualify for the credit.
Old 07-10-15, 12:03 PM
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Huh? So box #2 shows the same amount as what you paid, $2500?

If so, I take my words back. You do have a case. That's probably a clerical error on the IRS part. If you used the amount shown on box #2 and no more, you should be okay.
Old 07-10-15, 12:12 PM
  #11  
RIP
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,643
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

You're going to federal prison.
Old 07-10-15, 12:22 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Huh? So box #2 shows the same amount as what you paid, $2500?

If so, I take my words back. You do have a case. That's probably a clerical error on the IRS part. If you used the amount shown on box #2 and no more, you should be okay.
Schools have to use one or the other. They decided that on a universal basis for themselves, not on a case by case instance. And as Rocket posted originally, the IRS always seems to simply accept the box 2 number as what you paid.
Old 07-10-15, 02:51 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Just to tack on here, make sure all correspondence from here on out has copies saved and is sent via certified mail, tracked fedex, etc. Their fax number is worthless (if you can find a fax machine anyway). Make sure to write a letter explaining everything each time and refer to dates/letters/docs in the past dealing with it.


I have heard of SO many people having trouble with their taxes this year like this, including myself (IRS didn't like the claim of 3 kids in daycare and said the newborn doesn't exist without proof. They only offer 2 spots on the form and I put the other on a separate page for them. Since it wasn't in the box, they are pissed and missed the extra page. Of course it shows all three kids on the front of the regular return with their SS numbers and they accepted them all as dependents, just not dependents with child care )
Old 07-10-15, 03:07 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,818
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

I suggest you pick your bags and head to Switzerland now.
Old 07-10-15, 05:32 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Holy shit, even your interaction with the IRS was a walk in the park. It really is nicer to be Dave.

Must be nice.
It sucks serious ass at times.
Old 07-10-15, 06:38 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

I am guessing that the retirement income put you above the limit for taking the education credit. That was explain why the IRS disallowed it. If the rollover was done properly, you can send them documentation and have them adjust. If not, and I am correct about the income putting you over the allowable level for the education credit, you are out of luck.
Old 07-10-15, 06:48 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,277
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
You're going to federal prison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjlM5A1jME
Old 07-11-15, 12:37 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,872
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
You're going to federal prison.
... And a twist on the old classic ... Better get used to people peeing in your butt.
Old 10-12-19, 10:12 AM
  #19  
Member
 
MeridithHartt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 170
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

To sort out this kind of matters better to get advice from any tax expert or can get consultation from IRS tax experts from here. I usually try to get a free consultation for this kind of matter. However, I amazed by the recent news that claims 400 richest people of American pay less tax than the middle class. This news https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-wealthy.html says in the 1950s there was an evident difference among the tax paid by rich and middle but in 2018, richest are paying less than poor and middle-class. Now, I got the news that the IRS will crack down. I am amazed when rich class has the opportunity to save tax by creating offshore accounts then why middleclass will have to bear all costs for the economy? It's unfair.
Old 10-12-19, 11:41 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,872
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

I was going to say it is a scam and you should ignore the letter ... then I saw my own previous post ... damn zombie threads ...
Old 10-12-19, 07:04 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,271
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

This is why I hate we are all required to file returns. The IRS has everything they need to just send us a bill.

I mean itís one of those things ďwe know what you owe, but send us why you think you owe and then we will correct youĒ.

I got a bill that I owe $5.xx! I spent like 6 hours on my returns. Just send me a freaking bill!

Of course not allowed due to all the tax handling companies.
Old 10-12-19, 08:02 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
This is why I hate we are all required to file returns. The IRS has everything they need to just send us a bill.

I mean itís one of those things ďwe know what you owe, but send us why you think you owe and then we will correct youĒ.

I got a bill that I owe $5.xx! I spent like 6 hours on my returns. Just send me a freaking bill!

Of course not allowed due to all the tax handling companies.
Please explain how the IRS would know how much you paid in property tax, what your business expenses were, or much you gave to charity, or which dependents you have? There is a ton of info the IRS does not have. Sure, if you are single, have one source of income, and no deductible expenses then the IRS could figure your tax. However that doesnít work for most people.
Old 10-12-19, 08:26 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,271
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post


Please explain how the IRS would know how much you paid in property tax, what your business expenses were, or much you gave to charity, or which dependents you have? There is a ton of info the IRS does not have. Sure, if you are single, have one source of income, and no deductible expenses then the IRS could figure your tax. However that doesnít work for most people.
Thatís Bull SHIT.

So the state charges me property tax, but doesnít tell the IRS? BS!

The standard deduction covers what? 90% of the people for charity?

You donít report dependents to your employer? Really? And your employer doesnít report that (and ur income) to the IRS? Again BS!

Im not talking about if you are a business owner. Iím talking about individual taxes. And you know it. I work for a company (as most people do). I have a company pension (most dont). I have a 401k (most do) I have checking account (like most people). I have a credit Union account (some do or other savings). I have a bank that has other investments (some people do and some donít).

They all report to the IRS my information.

Your just making excuses.
Old 10-13-19, 03:14 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post


Thatís Bull SHIT.

So the state charges me property tax, but doesnít tell the IRS? BS!

The standard deduction covers what? 90% of the people for charity?

You donít report dependents to your employer? Really? And your employer doesnít report that (and ur income) to the IRS? Again BS!

Im not talking about if you are a business owner. Iím talking about individual taxes. And you know it. I work for a company (as most people do). I have a company pension (most dont). I have a 401k (most do) I have checking account (like most people). I have a credit Union account (some do or other savings). I have a bank that has other investments (some people do and some donít).

They all report to the IRS my information.

Your just making excuses.
Most property taxes are collected by the county. No one tells their employer how many dependents they have. There is no standard deduction for charitable donations. Iím a business owner and report that income on my individual taxes, as do most business owners. You seem to know next to nothing about this topic. Maybe do a bit of research so you can be better informed.
Old 10-14-19, 12:38 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,424
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The IRS just sent me a bill...need tax help please!

There is probably enough information out there where you could have an option to let the IRS figure your taxes but there is certainly the potential for missing or not updated information and I'm sure it would take longer than if you just did it yourself. The people that have easy returns are also probably individuals that always get refunds and want to file as soon as possible. I can only imagine the pain it would be to have the average Joe trying to amend their returns because the IRS screwed up their return.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.