Reload this Page >

What could push you to commit suicide?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-05-15, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was drinking w/ a mate and his girl last night. In some point of our conversations we hit a topic that has always interested me, "What could push you to end it all?"

I've always joked about killing myself cuz I've morbid humor. But in a serious form, I have thought of doing it. Like 10 years, or something like that, just cuz I was trapped into the life that my father's death left my family and I in. Luckily, I got the nerve to leave that situation and let it fall on it's own ass while I could better myself. That was a hellish situation.

There are other scenarios where I could see myself doing it but those would be wildly complex situations that really pushes plausibility of ever happening.

Stuff like if I was so badly damaged that I'm not even me anymore, I'd probably want to go out. Nightmare situation in all that is if I'm incapable of doing it. Needing to live in a damaged state that I can't even do the actions I want.
Old 05-05-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What could push you to commit suicide?

If anything ever happened to my son, I dont know if I would have the strength to go on like a lot of people do. I would hope so but Im not sure. I admire people that can pull through that type of situation.
Old 05-05-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Life in prison would probably do it, or at least would make me more likely to consider it than anything else. Mortal illness would do it as well once I was no longer able to stand the pain.
Old 05-05-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I had Alzheimer's I might consider it before it got too late to do anything about it--that just seems such a crap way to go. For some other things, like cancer, I might do it when it got too much to bear. I've never considered it even when I was a crazy-ass teen, so can't imagine I'd do it for other, non-health reasons.

I live in a state where we have it in some circumstances, but I think Alzheimer's doesn't really fit any of those, and my granny had it, so it concerns me a bit.
Old 05-05-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty close to it....I guess if my mom dies, that would push me over, as one of the main reasons I have not done it yet is because I do not want to burden my Mom with grief and guilt.
Old 05-05-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heavy questions on the forum today.

The only way I'd consider it is if I was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I don't know if I'd be able to pull the trigger even if I was in that situation but I'd at least strongly consider going out on my own terms.

Nothing else would do it. My family would be devastated and I couldn't do that to them.
Old 05-05-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I am pretty close to it....I guess if my mom dies, that would push me over, as one of the main reasons I have not done it yet is because I do not want to burden my Mom with grief and guilt.
You have no idea what the future holds, as far as what kinds of positive developments might happen in your own life, or what kind of positive effect you might have on someone else's life.
Old 05-05-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Even with a terminal illness, unless i'm in pain every day I don't think I could do it. I'm really not sure, I'd have to lose just about everything I hold dear in life to be in that position, and that's quite a lot.
Old 05-05-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who is bi-polar and has tried it twice with drug overdoses it wouldn't take much.

Christopher Nolan directing a Firefly/Serenity sequel would do it for sure.
Old 05-05-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
As someone who is bi-polar and has tried it twice with drug overdoses it wouldn't take much.

Old 05-05-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If my son died, I'd end it the next day. If the rest of my family died, my heart would be broken, but I wouldn't do anything but bury them.

As it is, thanks to diabetes, I've been in nerve pain for almost a decade. People think that a lot of pain for a short time is bad. Let me just say that even a little pain that never lets up is just as bad. At least. According to statistics, type 1 diabetics live 20 years less (on average) than most people. I highly doubt that I'll make it that long - people who have been diabetic for a long time don't have great futures. That being said, no reason to rush into anything yet.
Old 05-05-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If I was charged with a horrendous crime that I wasn't guilty of and, while out on bail and awaiting trial, I was subjected to constant harassment and police surveillance and death threats and public ostracism, etc. and it looked like the legal bills would wipe out everything I own and even if I won my case my life would be ruined. Something like that.
Old 05-05-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Being a useless burden on those I love.
Old 05-05-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Before you go, write a tell all memoir. I am dying to know what Nolan did to you when he was a counselor at your summer camp.
Old 05-05-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only if someone was going to kill me in a horrific way.

Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
If my son died, I'd end it the next day. If the rest of my family died, my heart would be broken, but I wouldn't do anything but bury them.
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
If anything ever happened to my son, I dont know if I would have the strength to go on like a lot of people do. I would hope so but Im not sure. I admire people that can pull through that type of situation.
Really? Wow. Is that your only purpose? Fascinating. I have no idea how I would react and couldn't say I wouldn't feel that way but that seems extreme.

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Even with a terminal illness, unless i'm in pain every day I don't think I could do it. I'm really not sure, I'd have to lose just about everything I hold dear in life to be in that position, and that's quite a lot.
That's why God invented morphine.
Old 05-05-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
BTDT. Counseling helped. Becoming less lonely helped.
Old 05-05-15, 02:33 PM
RIP

Okay, you got me to LOL at that one.
Old 05-05-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Really? Wow. Is that your only purpose? Fascinating. I have no idea how I would react and couldn't say I wouldn't feel that way but that seems extreme.
I'm almost 40 and have had a pretty good life. I've done a ton of things that others will only dream about. Lots of travel, lots of crazy experiences. Very few regrets. I hate my job, though I'm well paid and do well at it. Also, never going to get to retire. My health is OK, but declining slowly, I'm in daily pain. I love my family and friends (I've had friends for over 2 decades in some cases!) but frankly they aren't me. It seems silly to overstay your welcome in any case. Life isn't Hungry, Hungry Hippos - you don't score extra points for "completing your bucket list" or "retiring with the most money". Frankly, here I agree with KVRDave - most know how to pursue success, few know when to stop. My biggest joys come from my son, were he gone, I would lose most of the joy in my life, and no amount of Showgirls sequels could replace it.
Old 05-05-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You could always read Moby Dick or listen to every Miles Davis album in order. Seriously, there are a million things I could think of doing the rest of my life. My daughter is almost grown and ready to go to college. There's life after kids. I'd be so depressed if I didn't think that.
Old 05-05-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You could always read Moby Dick. Seriously, there are a million things I could think of doing the rest of my life. My daughter is almost grown and ready to go to college. There's life after kids. I'd be so depressed if I didn't think that.
Right, but my point is that if he goes to college, he doesn't disappear, he's just going to be too busy to talk to me. Biding time is what books and movies and music and art are *for*. But if he were dead, waiting out the rest of my life has no personal appeal. It's not like I couldn't laugh at Archer any more or be surprised at Game of Thrones, but those things are garnishes on the meal of your life. Take away all entrees ever (in my case steak, I know not in yours) and meals become less appealing. To me anyways.
Old 05-05-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What could push me to suicide? If I had sex with Shu Qi. Because everything else that happened after that would be a let down.
Old 05-05-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, but my point is that if he goes to college, he doesn't disappear, he's just going to be too busy to talk to me. Biding time is what books and movies and music and art are *for*. But if he were dead, waiting out the rest of my life has no personal appeal. It's not like I couldn't laugh at Archer any more or be surprised at Game of Thrones, but those things are garnishes on the meal of your life. Take away all entrees ever (in my case steak, I know not in yours) and meals become less appealing. To me anyways.
Just to jump in here, seems like you're putting all your happiness eggs in one basket.
Old 05-05-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing.
Old 05-05-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I lost my dad to suicide and because of that I would never even consider it. My family continues to deal with the fallout and it's been 25 years since it happened. I would never put the people I love through that again. I've even battled depression over the years, but I always drew the line at suicide.
Old 05-05-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If he's too busy to talk to you (a crass way of saying he is living his life), then essentially you will be on your own for long stretches of time. Life itself isn't about others' lives, it's about your life. And their lives are about their lives. It's like when your child grows up and he/she relies on you for everything and that slowly dissipates until you are just there. Basing your existence on a child or spouse is dangerous for one's own mental health. But I could be just talking out of my ass. Who knows.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.