Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Putting your Pet down.

Old 06-16-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Putting your Pet down.

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
This is a tough thread to read at this time. Anyone who has had to do this gets my utmost respect and sympathy.

This was our little buddy, Connor. We rescued him from a shelter and loved him for 13 years. He was diagnosed with lymphoma in February and we said goodbye to him last Monday, June 8th.

We are still crushed, I miss my dog every day.
This is one thread I always hate to see updated.

Rest in peace, Connor. What a handsome boy you are. And a lucky one too, to have a family who loved you so much.
Old 06-16-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
This is my dog. She is now on painkillers daily for her arthritis. The vet was very clear that we are just buying time with this. I'll probably be lucky to have a month left with her. And she still finds the fucking pill inside the dog treat and leaves it. So I generally crush it up.
Thought about updating this and since it is bumped, I will. Shelby is on the highest dose they will give her, which is 2 painkillers twice a day. If she doesn't get them, she just hurts continually. And now we are pretty sure that we are in the last month. The family leaves in about 2 weeks and will be gone for awhile, so I have to see if I can keep her alive until they get back.
Old 06-16-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598 View Post
He doesn't seem to be in an pain (at least right now) - and he runs around, wagging his tail, seeming in good spirits. So - my question for those who have dealt with this - at what point do you consider the "ultimate" decision? I don't know that chemo at his late age is the best thing to do.

This is killing me, and I'm sure it is going to be devastating to my two kids when the time comes.
Their spirit is greater than their bodies.

In our case his breathing became labored, he became lethargic, had trouble sleeping. When we took him in for a check, they noticed his eyes becoming cloudy and his abdomen was very firm as well as his lymph nodes were very swollen.

We opted not to do chemo as it might have given him 6 months but at what quality of life?

It is a devastating time, I feel for you.
Old 06-16-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know that chemo at his late age is the best thing to do.
Not saying you should or shouldn't do it because I'm sure the vet will determine what is best but just wanted to say that my dog was either 10 or 11 when she went through chemo (for lymphoma, so I don't know how different it would be) and she made it through fine and lived for almost 2 more years afterward.
Old 06-16-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
This is one thread I always hate to see updated.

Rest in peace, Connor. What a handsome boy you are. And a lucky one too, to have a family who loved you so much.
Thank you, we held him until he was gone.
Old 06-16-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Their spirit is greater than their bodies.

In our case his breathing became labored, he became lethargic, had trouble sleeping. When we took him in for a check, they noticed his eyes becoming cloudy and his abdomen was very firm as well as his lymph nodes were very swollen.

We opted not to do chemo as it might have given him 6 months but at what quality of life?

It is a devastating time, I feel for you.
That's the clincher for me. Even as a middle-aged adult, I still bawl like a baby at the time when an animal has to be put down, but I couldn't live with myself if I kept my pet around and it basically just had to endure more suffering because I couldn't let go.
Old 06-16-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope I have another 5 years with my dog.

This thread is such a downer. At the same time, it helps prepare me for the day I have to do it. I've already decided that he's going to sleep if we ever get a fatal prognosis. No point in leaving him in pain.
Old 06-17-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you, we held him until he was gone.
My sons are 13 and 15. I'm really not sure if they should be there when that moment has to come. What do you think?
Old 06-17-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My sons are 13 and 15. I'm really not sure if they should be there when that moment has to come. What do you think?
I have mixed feelings. It is difficult for anyone. Only you can know how they will handle it, so perhaps you should discuss it with them beforehand.

Saying goodbye adds some closure, for me it was more that I could be with him to the end and he knew that he was not alone in a strange place.

If they are uncomfortable they could say goodbye at your home, I would offer them the choice for sure. If it were my dog I would want to be there.
Old 06-17-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have mixed feelings. It is difficult for anyone. Only you can know how they will handle it, so perhaps you should discuss it with them beforehand.

Saying goodbye adds some closure, for me it was more that I could be with him to the end and he knew that he was not alone in a strange place.

If they are uncomfortable they could say goodbye at your home, I would offer them the choice for sure. If it were my dog I would want to be there.
Thanks for your response. I appreciate it
Old 06-17-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My kids went with me when we had to put our cat to sleep. They were teens at the time (13 and 18?) It was an acute situation at the emergency vet in the middle of the night.

It was my daughter's cat that she'd had since kittenhood. Being there gave them closure, a chance to say goodbye, and also a better understanding that Music couldn't just be "fixed" with some surgery (the vet said she could try but that it would likely fail anyway and just prolong misery). If they want to come, I would bring them. My kids have said since then that they were very grateful to be there at the end for their beloved pet.
Old 06-17-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Putting Molcas to sleep sucked. Only 8 years old. Still sucks as of this day after 2 years.

Old 06-18-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for updating this thread and making me cry damn you.

My dogs are 10 and in generally good health for seniors. Life expectancy is about 13. Can't imagine how bad it will be.

After watching my father die over 4 weeks from cancer that ate him up from the inside, why can't we do for people what we do for our animals? I would have given anything to see him just go to sleep and not go through a month of pain.
Old 06-19-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He doesn't seem to be in an pain (at least right now) - and he runs around, wagging his tail, seeming in good spirits. So - my question for those who have dealt with this - at what point do you consider the "ultimate" decision? I don't know that chemo at his late age is the best thing to do.

This is killing me, and I'm sure it is going to be devastating to my two kids when the time comes.
Our Dog had a mass cell tumor on his back near a large muscle (Back.Shoulder area) at around age 5-6, That was a easy decision, at 10? That is more of a tough call, especially doing chemo and things like that (our dog didn't have to do chemo, we were lucky that the cancerous tumor did not spread, they cut out a big chunk to be sure).

I know there is a test out there...When your dog starts to have more bad days then good days, then that is when the decision should be made. In the end it is up to you guys, But I think your dog will let you know when the end is approaching.

Good luck to you, It is one of the hardest decisions that you will have to make, but know you are doing right by your buddy.
Old 06-19-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just off the phone with the vet - certainly not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected. Mineralizing mass around prostrate, urethra, and some other anatomy places I didn't really understand. Bottom line was that, yes, it was cancer, and - unfortunately (and in her professional opinion) that it was inoperable and terminal.

Since we are heading to Disney tomorrow morning, I'm chosing not to inform the kids about this. I will have the person watching the dog to keep an extra eye out for possible changes (though the vet believes that the anti-inflammatory meds should help as long as they can). The vet said she has seen some pets hold out a year on the meds. But the agressive factor of the cancer can turn things bad at any given moment.

When we return we will have a difficult decision to make.
Old 06-19-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My daughter used to cat sit for a neighbor's sick cat when they went on vacation. We were really hoping it wouldn't die under her watch and it didn't
Old 06-19-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
My daughter used to cat sit for a neighbor's sick cat when they went on vacation. We were really hoping it wouldn't die under her watch and it didn't
That is my wife's biggest worry - mostly because of the extra stress it will put on the friend we have watching him. We've let her know that if she thinks there is an emergency to take him to the vet and I'll handle the money issue over the phone.

This is not a nice way to start our vacation
Old 01-24-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is my baby Olive. She is a boxer and was 8.5 years old. We had to put her down today.

Life expectancy for a boxer is usually 10-12 years, so we knew she was getting up there, but we weren't quite ready for this. About a month and a half ago, she had an incident where she just started stumbling around out of nowhere. Fell of the couch, tried to get up, and she fell again. She acted strange for a bit after that, but she got through it and seemed to go back to normal within a few hours.

Then a week before last Thursday, she had another similar incident, but it was in the middle of the night. She was stumbling around in our bed and woke us up. She then came up right in between my wife and I and lie down. Again, she was acting a bit off in the morning, so we called the vet. We brought her in last Saturday, and at that time, she was still very much herself. Very spunky and full of life.

The vet checked her out, and her red blood cell count was way down. She had developed some sort of anemia, where her body was attacking her own red blood cells. We're still not sure what caused it. She had X-rays and Ultrasounds, but no tumors or anything were found.

The vet wanted to keep her over the weekend to put her on some medication and monitor her closely for any signs of trouble. She never came back home. She was at the vet for 8 days, and every day, we went back to see her, and every day, her red blood cell count kept dropping. He tried a couple of different medications, but nothing worked. The first few days when we went to see her, she would get excited and bark and play. The last several days however, she just looked tired and sad. The vet said that if we wanted to, he would continue treating her to the bitter end, but in his professional opinion, she wasn't going to come home.

We made the hard decision to let her go today. It was extremely difficult to see her deteriorate so quickly, but I know we made the right decision. She just wasn't the same dog, and I couldn't keep her around like that just for our benefit. I stayed with her until she was gone, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby. She had a good life, and we loved her dearly.

I only wonder if there's anything that could have been done if we'd taken her to be seen after that first incident, and I'm kinda beating myself up about that right now.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 01-24-16 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-24-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 01-24-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
This is my baby Olive. She is a boxer and was 8.5 years old. We had to put her down today.

Life expectancy for a boxer is usually 10-12 years, so we knew she was getting up there, but we weren't quite ready for this. About a month and a half ago, she had an incident where she just started stumbling around out of nowhere. Fell of the couch, tried to get up, and she fell again. She acted strange for a bit after that, but she got through it and seemed to go back to normal within a few hours.

Then a week before last Thursday, she had another similar incident, but it was in the middle of the night. She was stumbling around in our bed and woke us up. She then came up right in between my wife and I and lie down. Again, she was acting a bit off in the morning, so we called the vet. We brought her in last Saturday, and a that time, she was still very much herself. Very spunky and full of life.

The vet checked her out, and her red blood cell count was way down. She had developed some sort of anemia, where her body was attacking her own red blood cells. We're still not sure what caused it. She had X-rays and Ultrasounds, but no tumors or anything were found.

The vet wanted to keep her over the weekend to put her on some medication and monitor her closely for any signs of trouble. She never came back home. She was at the vet for 8 days, and every day, we went back to see her, and every day, her red blood cell count kept dropping. He tried a couple of different medications, but nothing worked. The first few days when we went to see her, she would get excited and bark and play. The last several days however, she just looked tired and sad. The vet said that if we wanted to, he would continue treating her to the bitter end, but in his professional opinion, she wasn't going to come home.

We made the hard decision to let her go today. It was extremely difficult to see her deteriorate so quickly, but I know we made the right decision. She just wasn't the same dog, and I couldn't keep her around like that just for our benefit. I stayed with her until she was gone, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby. She had a good life, and we loved her dearly.

I only wonder if there's anything that could have been done if we'd taken her to be seen after that first incident, and I'm kinda beating myself up about that right now.
The last gift you can give a beloved animal is to end their suffering. I'm so sorry for your loss, but you were there with her to the very last and her last breath was taken safe in her daddy's presence. What a lucky girl to have that. Sending you light and sympathy.
Old 01-24-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So sorry to hear about your doggy.
Old 01-24-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 01-24-16, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So sorry for your loss

Don't beat yourself up. You did what anyone would've done. It was probably too late at that point. Olive was loved and that's the important part.
Old 01-24-16, 09:13 PM
Admin-Thanos

We had to put our 16 year old cat Midnight to sleep a couple of weeks ago. She had developed a kind of cancer on her neck and we had surgery on it in August 2015. She barely survived, but we got a great 4 more months out of her and her personality was amazing the last 4 months. It was almost like she knew she bought a little more time and she made the most of it. She was so friendly to every one when she used to be a scaredy cat for so much of her life. It was really great to see. When the throat lump came back the last week of December, I knew I wasn't going to put her through the surgery again just for my benefit. A couple of weeks ago she started having trouble breathing because of the growth and I decided she was suffering and it was time. I stayed in the room the whole time and it was the right thing to do for me and her I think. When you think 16 years have come and gone with an animal it makes you realize how brief a time we all have here and to make the most of it. It was one of the toughest things I've ever done, but I think it helped in the healing process. I miss that furball though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.