Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Putting your Pet down.

Old 03-20-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Putting your Pet down.

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
This is kind of a morbid question, but can the vet help with cremation, I mean point you in the right direction? I don't have a yard to be able to bury my cat, but I'd like to at least be able to either bury or scatter her ashes someplace. I don't feel right just leaving the animal with the vet. Just doesn't seem right.
My vet offered a number of options at different prices.
Old 03-20-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We're somewhat new pet owners, with a dog that's 4 and another that's about 1/2. The 4 year old recently needed back surgery and my fiancee was already freaking out and bawling her eyes out about it. I can't even fathom thinking of when this time comes around
Old 03-20-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys for all the responses, just reading these responses makes me tear up.

We are actually having the vet come out to us, We wanted our dog to be at home and comfortable, he HATES the vet, so we didn't want his final minutes being stressed out.

The plan is for us to both be in the room. I just hope everything goes as expected and it ends smoothly.

gah.

Thanks again guys..
Old 03-20-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went through this a year and a half ago with my dog (german shepherd/husky mix). Even though she was toward the very end (almost 14) of having any quality of life left, I didn't know when I brought her in that she wouldn't be coming home with me. She was a lymphoma survivor and had been acting lethargic and not eating so I thought maybe she had come out of remission. But when the vet called it turned out her liver and kidneys were failing, so there was nothing left to do but say goodbye. There was no way I wasn't going to be there with her when she passed on, though I do respect anyone who cannot handle that.

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
This is kind of a morbid question, but can the vet help with cremation, I mean point you in the right direction?
It was a very easy process with my vet. They actually have an arrangement with a cremation place, so I just had to write them a check that day and they handled everything with the guy who does it. They called a few days later and I picked up her ashes from my vet's office.
Old 03-20-15, 04:19 PM
Banned

That is cool you are doing it at home. More comfort for the dog as well as you.
Old 03-20-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I held my cat in my arms. Was torture but I couldn't fathom letting her be with strangers. Afterwards I took her with me and drove to my parents house where I buried her in the backyard. It's nice to be able to visit her whenever I want.
Old 03-20-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First off, so sorry! And without a doubt one of the hardest things you will do. I have done it 3 times, the last about a month and half ago...It is quick and often the vet will give you more time than it needs or takes. They know the process. Have Kleenex near by! Also I would wrap your pet up (lightly) in a blanket or towel as sometimes they "relax" a bit and can leak

Anyone reading this in the future....
You absolutely need to be right there with your pet when you need to put them down. Like someone already said, do not let them leave life, without their best friend(s) right next to them.
Old 03-20-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, this thread is kind of sad, so here's some humor to lighten things up. You've always got the memories of your furry friends. I was fooling around with some video software, and made this with my ol' kitty Simba a few years ago:

Old 03-20-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just did this a year ago with my longest pet buddy, my cat Prince. He'd been with me for 19 years (pretty good for a cat). His health was declining and we came home late in the evening to find him laying on the floor in front of our bed, barely able to move. We wrapped him in a towel and headed straight to the overnight emergency vet in our town. Our daughter Dana, six years old at the time, held him in the towel and talked to him all the way there.

When we got to the vet, we all knew it was time. We said our goodbyes and let them take him back for the end....none of us wanted to go. After a few tears, we went out for a really late meal and talked about how he was a wonderful companion for such a long time, and got Dana to laugh a little and not be so sad.

We had him cremated and he has a place in our living room on a table with pictures of him surrounding the box. We still miss that darn cat.
Old 03-20-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Anyone reading this in the future....
You absolutely need to be right there with your pet when you need to put them down. Like someone already said, do not let them leave life, without their best friend(s) right next to them.
Agreed. We had to put one of our Schnauzers down last year and it was really important to us that we be right there with him until the end. I don't know what kind of emotional intelligence dogs may or may not have, but I didn't want to leave any chance that my adopted dog might reach the end thinking that he'd been abandoned again.

It is very quick and in our case at least was very peaceful. It was absolutely heart-wrenching, but we knew it was the right thing.
Old 03-20-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We are about in this place with one of our dogs, pretty tough to go through. My last dog was getting old and one day just went in her favorite place in the house and died there. I am kinda hoping that will happen again, but if he gets much worse or starts to seem to be in pain we will have to do something
Old 03-20-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The vet we went to was on a farm and we did it out in a field. I held Shadow and, like mentioned, it only takes a few moments. I stroked her ears and cried like a baby. I'll never forget it. Really, really hard. I can remember driving home and her not being in the car on the ride home was terrible. Sorry.
Old 03-20-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because I am again nearing the same situation, I knew I was going to lose it if I read this thread. First off, Superdeluxe, I’m so sorry for where you are right now. The “knowing when” is full of second-guessing. They say you’ll know, and I hope that’s true when the time comes for your dog.

As for being with him - I couldn’t imagine not holding my little buddy and helping guide him onto his next journey. It was possibly one of the hardest things I had done, but it would’ve been much harder on me if I hadn’t been there with him.

Fourteen years later, I’m again facing this dread situation with my second dog. I’m terrified not knowing how long he will be with me - days, months? - but I will do all I can to keep him happy as he has done for me for so many years. I will be with him, letting him know that I would never leave him.
Old 03-21-15, 12:10 AM
Banned

After having around 20 cats during our 37 years together, we've come to this agreement re: "knowing when it's time"...when our friends have more bad days than good days, don't do (or can't do) the things they always enjoyed, are listless, etc....then it's time to "help them out" (as our kind vets put it). Of course, we know that it's time if they are in pain due to a terminal illness or suffer a stroke. We have had blind & deaf cats who still ate well & enjoyed snuggling, being petted, and lying in the sun or in favorite spots, had a cat whom we gave insulin shots for a year, etc.. But after trying desperately to save a cat with feline leukemia who had a terrible setback a few nights later & was in terrible pain, we vowed never again to try to hang on to them for our benefit when we needed to show them that final act of mercy.

It's never easy to let them go, even when you discover them gone from an accident, heart attack, or just old age (we've had several live beyond 18 years). But with ones who need to be euthanized, one or both of us always stays with them and hold them while they go to sleep. It's always very peaceful & they don't seem to feel any pain or resist the shot in any way...and it's very fast. There are always tears...always...regardless of how much you steel yourself. It's never easy letting go of someone you love. But there is a comfort knowing that you're helping them out.

We always bury our friends ourselves (wrapping them in a favorite blanket). Digging the grave is somewhat cathartic as you can get some of your emotions out through the physical exertion even through your tears. And we do that whether it's raining, snow on the ground, whatever. What's really touching is when some of the other cats come and sit quietly while the grave is being dug, the little body is gently placed inside, and then the grave is filled in and covered with rocks, bricks, etc. With our most recent burial, one of the cats who played with her (actually, annoyed her by wanting to wrestle & roughhouse when she just wanted to be left alone) came over to her body and began giving it a bath. That was revealing but hard to see.

I won't pretend that it's easy or that I haven't sometimes let my wife (the nurse) take the pet in while I dug the grave. Knowing the finality of it is hard. But it's the least we can do for our companions & friends with their funny little quirks & personalities (and aggravating tendencies), and we put that hard duty behind us (even for the most lovable ones who truly are one-of-a-kind), and we know that there will be more friends in need coming along who need our love & care (they're all foundlings).

I know you'll do what's best for your friend and will remember them just as you remember human loved ones. You'll miss them, but you will always have lots of good memories to share.
Old 03-21-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had to go through this too many times over the years.

We stay till the end and for my dogs, who I loved like they were my children I took
their favorite little stufffed toy and a blanket. We insisted that they have those items with them when they were cremated.

It's been over a year since my last pup left us and I still have a hard time dealing with it.
Old 03-21-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i have to admit when i was reading kvr dave's post about "This may sound strange to city dwellers, but remember that I'm on 40 acres..." my first thought was "oh christ, he's gonna do it himself"
Old 03-21-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We told our kid last night. Everything we've read about talking to kids about their Death and their pets say be honest with them about the pet dying (Don't say Doggie is going to sleep etc..because then they might have issues with sleep).

We explained to our son that Bexley was very old, and was in a lot of pain, So the vet was going to help our dog die. Our son said he would fix him by putting a band-aid on him ;(

totally lost it at that point.

He cried, we all cried. He is dealing with it well, he is showing appropriate response to what is going on (sadness etc).

Its tough, Dishing up his last plate of food tonight, giving him his last dose of medicine, Gave him extra PB tonight..everything feels coming to a close. He knows it I think, or at the very least, he can feel our sadness, so he has been extra comforting tonight (Leaning up against for pets etc).

Last Night with our Buddy.
Old 03-21-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So sorry you are having to go through this. I put my girl done two years ago. She was two months away from her 15th birthday. She had a large tumor that was growing on the back of her leg. It had burst once, and then after is was healed up it grew back again quickly. The vet told me it was most likely cancer and due to her age to prepare me to say goodbye soon. I keep her as long as I felt she wasn't in any pain or suffering. Every day I came home she would wag her tail and give me kisses. Then one day I came home and she didn't move. She was ready, and she told me. I carried her outside to let her go the bathroom, and she collapsed. I knew it was time. I called my ex husband and told him to come over and spend her last night with us. In the middle of the night she started breathing heavy and threw up. I did not want to wait until morning to bring her to my vet who had treated her since she was eight weeks old, so we brought her to the emergency vet. I took my time to say goodbye, tears flowing and giving her my last act of love. The vet came in and inserted the needle into her IV and within seconds she was gone. It was the hardest thing I've every had to do, but she lived a very long life and it was a life filled with love so I could not ask for more. Thank you for letting me share my story, and please know that you are doing the right thing for your pet.
Old 03-21-15, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
He knows it I think, or at the very least, he can feel our sadness, so he has been extra comforting tonight (Leaning up against for pets etc).
That's the roughest part. Dog knows your feelings, even though he's hurtin', all he wants to do is try and cheer you up. Damn, the innocence of a pet. I'm in tears for you,man. Honestly.
Old 03-22-15, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SD, good luck with this. I've been through this far too many times and it never gets easier.

But, as rough as it is, I couldn't imagine not being there for any of my animal kids when it's time to help them leave this world. As much joy as they've given me, and as tough as it is to be in that strange environment, the very least I can do is be there with them and say goodbye while holding/petting them so they leave this world as they lived in it, knowing they were loved.

(The fact that I turn in to a bawling, blubbering mess doesn't even matter to me.)
Old 03-22-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone, It's over, the vet came over, dog was super excited because I think he smelled all the other dogs on him.

Our vet was really kind and nice to us, he approached our dog very nicely and petted him to make him feel at ease. We brought our dog to his favorite bed, and just talked to him, gave him hugs and petted him.

The vet gave the sedative and put our dog at ease, the vet was thoughtful and basically said he wouldn't proceed till we were ready. We said our final goodbyes and the vet injected the final solution and our friend left us in about 15 seconds.,,

I wanted to thank everyone here for being thoughtful in their responses and advice. I'm glad we were with our buddy till the very end and glad it was at home on his favorite bed.
Old 03-22-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel for you SD. Thanks for coming back to update. When we put our dog down last year, I was inconsolable for several days. Hang in there.
Old 03-22-15, 10:38 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am sorry.

I have had to do this with 2 dogs. I chose to stay with them, but I can see why some people might not. In my case, the dogs know the vet well, so it would not have stressed them out either way.

It may be too late for this, but have you decided what to do with the remains? I chose cremation but without getting the ashes back. That's the only thing I would have changed.
Old 03-23-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I am sorry.

I have had to do this with 2 dogs. I chose to stay with them, but I can see why some people might not. In my case, the dogs know the vet well, so it would not have stressed them out either way.

It may be too late for this, but have you decided what to do with the remains? I chose cremation but without getting the ashes back. That's the only thing I would have changed.
We chose communal cremation, I didn't really care either way, and the wife didn't want the remains.
Old 03-23-15, 08:43 AM
Admin-Thanos

Sorry for your loss SD. You did right by your little fur buddy though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.