Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Emotional Support Animals

Old 12-01-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Emotional Support Animals

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...imal-and-owner

Is this a real thing? Or is it just some huge scam where people can bring their pets places they otherwise wouldn't be able to under the false premise that it's a "service animal?"

Old 12-01-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Emotional Support Animals

I worked with Angelica Spanos before she moved to CT.
Old 12-01-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Is this a real thing? Or is it just some huge scam where people can bring their pets places they otherwise wouldn't be able to under the false premise that it's a "service animal?"
Some people are amazingly fragile. Some of them may just need to "grow a pair", but some of them are pretty much broken toys.

So basically the answer is "both".
Old 12-01-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A woman has a phobia about going to a drug store that can only be overcome if she brings her alpaca with her ...

Old 12-01-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm for people bringing their alpacas everywhere.
Old 12-01-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If I ever end up surviving a plane crash, somewhere desolate, like high on a mountain, and there are a few idiots who brought their emotional hug bunny pets along...I will be feasting.
Old 12-01-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Adam Carolla has been ranting about this for a couple of years now.
Old 12-01-14, 09:13 PM
Banned

This is all Mabuse needs to discuss his nephew with his bro.
Old 12-01-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its not a support animal but my cousin has a pet pig. Doesn't smell at all but it does constantly snort/oink and look for food. I think its fun to watch but i can see how people would find it annoying.
Old 12-01-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a woman who often comes to our studio to be in our live audience for the talk show I work for who carries a small dog with her. It is some kind of "emotional support" animal. I don't understand it myself but sometimes serious problems aren't obvious to others.
Old 12-01-14, 09:25 PM

How do I get my dog registered as one of these? Seems a lot cheaper than day care.
Old 12-01-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A customer that shops at my store has a small dog that is apparently an emotional support dog. She would let it just sit in the top of the shopping cart, but I guess a lot of other customers complained about it. Now, she has it in the same place, but it sits inside a fancy dog carrier.

Call me insensitive, but if you are so fucked up that you need your dog with you at the grocery store then maybe it is time to just end yourself.
Old 12-01-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the animal is better behaved than your average small child, I'd prefer we keep the animals and ban the children.
Old 12-01-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How do I get my dog registered as one of these? Seems a lot cheaper than day care.
Here you go!
Old 12-01-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you're that emotionally fragile that you can't travel without your pet then you should be driving not forcing your stupid animal on other travellers.
Old 12-01-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These "anxiety animals" dont just give you a free pass for travel. Some lady in my town rented an apartment that had a clear "no animals" policy but the court said she was allowed to have her anxiety cats. Apparently her anxiety wasnt relieved just by living cats, though. Cops raided her house and found about 20 cats, some dead for a long time. You would think she was the least anxious person in town, but nope! Still batshit crazy.
Old 12-01-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only people who don't think these animals are a scam foisted upon us by people with a runaway sense of entitlement, are other people with a runaway sense of entitlement.
Old 12-01-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think a fair compromise is that emotional support animals are allowed but they are provided by the store/airline/museum. You put down a five dollar deposit, they hand you the store dog or pig, you return it on your way out and everyone should be happy.
Old 12-02-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Absolutely ridiculous rubbish. If some awfully fragile people can't comply with public rules, they should not go out in public. The world would be a better place for it.

Another entitlement excuse foisted upon us. What next? Emotional support illegal drugs and prostitutes?
Old 12-02-14, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Call me insensitive, but if you are so fucked up that you need your dog with you at the grocery store then maybe it is time to just end yourself.
Call me insensitive, but if you are so fucked up that you call for people to kill themselves just so you don't have to see their dog at the grocery store then maybe it is time to just end yourself.
Old 12-02-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I've heard pigs are good pets, but I like pork too much to get attached to one. I already can never try rabbit meat because I've known one personally and they're just so damn cute. My cats are good for my emotional support, but I wouldn't force them on a plane- they already hate riding in the car to the vet.
Old 12-02-14, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I've heard pigs are good pets, but I like pork too much to get attached to one. I already can never try rabbit meat because I've known one personally and they're just so damn cute. My cats are good for my emotional support, but I wouldn't force them on a plane- they already hate riding in the car to the vet.
Just get your cat a support animal!
Old 12-02-14, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Call me insensitive, but if you are so fucked up that you call for people to kill themselves just so you don't have to see their dog at the grocery store then maybe it is time to just end yourself.
It has nothing to do with NOT seeing their dogs. It has to with people with dog allergies. It has to do with this lady's dog's ass sitting in the basket where people put their groceries. It is unsanitary that others have to deal with that, so this lady doesn't have a breakdown while picking out a gallon of milk. It is a grocery store, not Pet Smart.

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 12-02-14 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-02-14, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What percentage of emotional support animals started a rigorous training program early in their lives and what percentage of emotional support animals are just a regular animal?

Apparently, according to the ADA, it is illegal to ask more than two questions to anybody with a bullshit ESA.
1. Is the animal required because of a disability?

2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?
First, the definition of "disability" is so muddled that this question probably doesn't matter. I posit that every single American can have a "disability" if they find the right shitty doctor willing to sign off on it.

Second, I'd love to hear how some of these people answer question #2. I'd love to hear about the specialized training program a 40 pound non-housebroken hog has gone through to help some **** feel better about being on a plane.
Old 12-02-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There seem to be a lot of rage issues in this thread. Maybe more support animals are needed.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.