Reload this Page >

Any Nissan Xterra owners here?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-11-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm on the lookout for a new SUV - new to me - I plan on buying used, probably a 2012 or 2013 model. I've done some research and the Xterra seems to fit the bill for everything I'm looking for. The biggest negative for it is the pretty unimpressive fuel mileage but it is what it is.

From what I'm reading online it sounds like late summer/early fall is a good time to buy because of all the new year's models coming in. I'm planning on having my finances set up through my credit union and then hitting the dealership on the last day of this month (Sept. 30).

One question I do have: Is it possible to have quotes sent via email from dealerships with a pre-owned vehicle? I tried having a few dealers send quotes through Edmonds.com but all the results it returned to me were for new cars (2014 models).

Does anyone own an Xterra and can tell me what their opinion of it is? I owned a Nissan Frontier a few years ago and loved it, I don't think Xterras are much different as far as style.
Old 09-11-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any Nissan Xterra owners here?

I don't know about style but I loved the one I had. The 4 wheel worked great, alot of room and mileage was ok. I had no problems with it until I rolled it. It didn't work too well after that.
Old 09-11-14, 02:43 PM

I owned a 2009. It was a great SUV. Drove well. I believe we actually had to replace the transmission but it was completely covered, no questions asked (~10K to do they said).
Old 09-11-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I owned a 2008 for a couple years. No issues with it aside from it being slightly underpowered (freeway above 75mph and for sand dunes) and having pretty bad gas mileage. Solid vehicle all around, quite a bit of room and looked great though.

FWIW - I moved on to an FJ Cruiser and have never looked back since. I love every aspect of that truck and it is VERY well built for offroadin.
Old 09-11-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a Frontier and like it, the XTerra should be similar. The MPG is shit-tastic, a little worse than comparable models from other companies, but you already know that, so...
Old 09-11-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
I owned a 2008 for a couple years. No issues with it aside from it being slightly underpowered (freeway above 75mph and for sand dunes) and having pretty bad gas mileage. Solid vehicle all around, quite a bit of room and looked great though.

FWIW - I moved on to an FJ Cruiser and have never looked back since. I love every aspect of that truck and it is VERY well built for offroadin.
I don't plan on any sand dune driving but mountain driving is definitely going to happen. And speaking of being roomy, we're currently expecting our first child. From what I can tell it looks like enough room but would you say the rear seating is big enough for a car seat to fit comfortably?

I really like the FJ Cruiser, it was on my short list for new vehicle, unfortunately after a test drive the blind spot and poor visibility on the sides knocked it down a few notches in my book. Plus the fact that they're now being discontinued makes me hesitant to buy one.
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I own a Frontier and like it, the XTerra should be similar. The MPG is shit-tastic, a little worse than comparable models from other companies, but you already know that, so...
I sold my Frontier a few years ago and have regretted it ever since. If it was just me and the wife I'd probably buy another but with a baby on the way I'm looking more toward an SUV. And yes, the MPG was shit-tastic on my Frontier and I expect similar results from an Xterra.
Old 09-11-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What else on your short list? Is Subaru Forester on your list? It's supposed to be best MPG in small SUV category and top safety rating. It's also roomy.
Old 09-11-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I don't plan on any sand dune driving but mountain driving is definitely going to happen. And speaking of being roomy, we're currently expecting our first child. From what I can tell it looks like enough room but would you say the rear seating is big enough for a car seat to fit comfortably?
I have an 2006 and its been a great car. Car seat fits fine in the back, and it has survived many trips to the mountains.
Old 09-11-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
What else on your short list? Is Subaru Forester on your list? It's supposed to be best MPG in small SUV category and top safety rating. It's also roomy.
I basically had it narrowed down to the FJ Cruiser and the Xterra. I eventually eliminated the FJ and decided on the Xterra. My wife's family is big on Subarus, pretty much everyone in her family owns one, including her. I'm not a huge Subaru fan, it might sound odd but I don't fit in Subarus that well, it feels like they're made for someone just a bit smaller than me. Contours of the seats, etc. don't fit me very well.

I've noticed the Forester only comes in a 4 cylinder model. I wonder how the power of a Subaru 4 cylinder compares to other maker's 6 cylinder vehicles.
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
I have an 2006 and its been a great car. Car seat fits fine in the back, and it has survived many trips to the mountains.
Good to hear. They appeared to have enough room from looking at them but it's nice to hear some anecdotal evidence.
Old 09-12-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Subaru is not 4WD is it? It is just AWD. Not good for off roading.
Old 09-12-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

I sold my Frontier a few years ago and have regretted it ever since. If it was just me and the wife I'd probably buy another but with a baby on the way I'm looking more toward an SUV. And yes, the MPG was shit-tastic on my Frontier and I expect similar results from an Xterra.
I have the Crew Cab, I have owned trucks for so long that when we had a baby on the way (she's now 3 1/2) and I had to get rid of my regular cab truck, I got a 4 door truck. And I like it, but in addition to the shit-tastic mpg it has a terrible turning radius, makes parking kind of a bitch. But if you truly love the Frontier, the Crew Cab is plenty big enough for junior.