Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Should you pay more taxes if you don't have kids?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 04-09-14, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Sheer fucking madness I tell ya'

http://money.msn.com/tax-tips/post--...dont-have-kids

A Slate columnist argues that childless Americans should pony up some more cash for taxes and that parents should get a bigger break.

Nonparents should pay higher taxes so that lower- and middle-income parents can receive a much-deserved tax break. That's the proposal of conservative Slate.com columnist Reihan Salam.

"The willingness of parents to bear and nurture children saves us from becoming an economically moribund nation of hateful curmudgeons. The least we can do is offer them a bigger tax break," Salam, who is childless, said.

Not surprisingly, Salam's proposal has ignited a fiery debate, as you can see on WNYC.org.

"Childless by Choice" from New York City said, "How about couples who have more than two children pay MORE taxes, given that they've now foisted upon a dying planet yet another mouth to feed, another consumer of resources, and another generator of waste and pollution."

It appears that many people, like me, who think Salam's proposal is ludicrous, were surprised and saddened by the anti-child vitriol expressed by many people online. "Dan from New York" spoke up for those with kids:

Social Security, Medicare, etc. All these program are designed with the concept that there are replacement people to continue funding it. Most studies show people who grow past 80 will easily take out more than they put in. If you haven't produced kids, then you are relying on other people to subsidize you. Who do you think will be paying for the hospitals, roads, your benefits when you are 80 -- your dog? Or my kids?

U.S. parents already receive some tax breaks -- about $171 billion annually, CNN Money said. The breaks include the earned income tax credit, child tax credit, child and dependent care tax credit, and the dependent exemption and head of household filing status for single parents.

But with the cost of raising a child until they're 18 estimated at $241,080 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and that doesn't include secondary education, Salam thinks parents are entitled to a more substantial tax break.

Personally, I share the opinion of John Seager of Population Connection. In The New York Times, Seager said, "We should refrain from punishing or rewarding personal decisions about the size and shape of our families."

As I write this, my 11-month-old is crawling around my feet, and pulling himself up on my chair, trying to reach my laptop. My almost 4-year-old is eating a snack and watching "Frozen." My husband and I can afford to have two children. We discussed the affordability issue before we started our family.

I don't view children as a drain on the Earth's limited resources, but rather the very future of our planet. That said, I do not agree with having childless taxpayers foot a bigger portion of the tax bill so I can pay less.

What do you think? Should childless people pay higher taxes?
Old 04-09-14, 07:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Should you pay more taxes if you don't have kids?

By the same token, surely there are plenty of potential income earners/taxpayers south of the US border who would be only too willing to take their place in yoru great nation's Social Security/Medicare pyramid scheme. And if part of the deal to allow entry to the USA is ineligibility to claim various benefits for x years, it would seem that you have an even better system than fiscal-driven child-production. And, doubtless, at least some of the incomers will produce children without any tax incentive whatsoever...

PS) Moving to Politics Talk
Old 04-09-14, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 605 Likes on 446 Posts

No. Children are a financial drag on the system: Public schools, head start, medicaid, wic, family services, and everything else.

And the fact that people with kids already get tax breaks, there's no reason to punish people like my girlfriend and I for not shitting out a bunch of kids. I'm already ponying up enough to pay for everyone else's fucking brats.

If you can't afford kids, don't have them. We already have enough people consuming and competing for limited resources like energy, health care, and real estate.
Old 04-09-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anything I should pay LESS taxes not having kids. I don't take advantage of the public schools or any of the various other things in my city or state specific to children.
Old 04-09-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 04-09-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, everyone should pay in an equally fair manner. We already get a deduction for a child.

Besides, these people will wake up some day empty and alone. They can keep their money.
Old 04-09-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Besides, these people will wake up some day empty and alone. They can keep their money.
So what you are really saying is that the reason people have kids is because they feel empty and alone. No wonder I don't have any.
Old 04-09-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why do liberal newspapers and websites always hire the most batshit crazy conservative columnists for "balance"?

This same idiot wrote a column this week on how proud he is to still be a "neocon"
Old 04-09-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

I think people who make more money, should pay more taxes. Like Reihan Salam.

Why doesn't Salami squeeze a few more out for the baby factories.
Old 04-09-14, 08:43 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain View Post
If anything I should pay LESS taxes not having kids. I don't take advantage of the public schools or any of the various other things in my city or state specific to children.
That's my view. Technically I think people that don't have kids are already paying more taxes. They don't get a child tax credit or whatever it is. Plus, the tax money that they are paying in goes towards schools and kids already. That tax money is not utilized by people that don't have kids.
Old 04-09-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
So what you are really saying is that the reason people have kids is because they feel empty and alone. No wonder I don't have any.
No, that comes much later in middle age.

That tax money is not utilized by people that don't have kids.
Oh, really?
Old 04-09-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 305 Likes on 233 Posts

I'll pay more taxes if he pays off my $35k in debt that eats up every cent of every paycheck
Old 04-09-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I love how every parent with young kids assumes their adult kids will be attentive and ever-present in their lives when they're old. I guess every lonely nursing home resident had all their kids die or never had kids. That must be it.
Old 04-09-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how the world is completely black and white.
Old 04-09-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I love how every parent with young kids assumes their adult kids will be attentive and ever-present in their lives when they're old. I guess every lonely nursing home resident had all their kids die or never had kids. That must be it.
I don't think everyone assumes this at all. Kids don't need to be present to experience the fulfillment their existence has given you. Raising them and creating a productive member of society is fulfillment enough. Now parents who raise shitheads? I don't know what to tell you.
Old 04-09-14, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I love how the world is completely black and white.
Racist!

Old 04-09-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 348 Likes on 289 Posts

That's inconsequential. It's like you saying "I shouldn't pay taxes that go to the library, because I don't read."

That's not how it works.
Old 04-09-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather we give women $10,000 deductions for having abortions.
Old 04-09-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 348 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't like this proposition. If you do make a lot of money, though, then you should pay more taxes.
Old 04-09-14, 10:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You benefit indirectly from living in a society that educates its children. It's like saying "I don't drive, so why should I have to pay taxes that support fixing the roads?!"
Old 04-09-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Kids don't need to be present to experience the fulfillment their existence has given you. Raising them and creating a productive member of society is fulfillment enough.
This IMO sounds the same as religion.
From young you are told that the only way you can be happy is by getting married and having children.
From young you are told that there is a spook in the sky that you must believe in or else your life will be empty and unhappy.
Old 04-09-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Typical breeder responses.
Old 04-09-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Childless by Choice" from New York City said, "How about couples who have more than two children pay MORE taxes, given that they've now foisted upon a dying planet yet another mouth to feed, another consumer of resources, and another generator of waste and pollution."
Dying planet
Old 04-09-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

You should get a tax break for not having snot nosed brats. I think the US should be like China in only allowing two kids. All of you third and fourth children need to report to the termination center by the end of the week.
Old 04-09-14, 12:47 PM

As a childless person I'm absolutely fine with paying taxes for things -- such as schools -- from which I won't directly benefit, but that improve society as a whole.

But anyone who seriously thinks I should pay more in taxes because I don't have kids can go get fucked.

Also, what about people physically incapable of having children? The government should essentially fine them for having a medical condition?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.