Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Old 02-14-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: Landlords on my case about my cleanliness!

Haven't sold that yet- wanna buy it?
Old 02-14-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skywalker8 View Post

Fascinating that your hoarding problem extends from the physical into to the digital realm.
This should fix that right up - well, the lack-of-space problem, not the hoarding mental illness.

Old 02-15-19, 08:06 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Well, my last job was pretty exhausting so all I wanted to do when home was watch movies or listen to music. I'm probably setting myself up for a big fail saying this, but being out of work for so long I'm eager to get back, and think that with more structured time I'll be more up for getting work done around here at least on the weekends. Could be another famous last words, but we'll see.
These are just words you tell yourself. Cleaning is not going to happen until you have a professional helping you with the core reasons why you over collect. You can't do this by yourself and you can't look to a message board to solve the issue.
Old 02-15-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As Iíve said before, take one hour each night to clean up. Donít watch a movie until you are done. Set a timer on your phone. Do this for a week and see if it has made a difference.

Iíve been tackling one project at a time the last few weeks. I took 30 minutes to clean out our glasses cabinet and got rid of a bunch of random bottles and old mugs we had jammed in there. It went from being something with barely enough room to a cabinet that has room to spare.

We finally cleaned out our mail holder that we havenít organized in years. We found house keys for a house we havenít lived in for over a decade. It took a small amount of time but made a big difference.

We spent a Saturday cleaning out and rearranging our bedroom closet. Again, we went from a space with barely any room to one that has extra room. And mainly by just getting rid of things we didnít need.

I spent an afternoon rewrapping all of my computer cables. I found a few random ones I had no idea I had. And I didnít actually get rid of much. Just rewrapping everything nicely made a huge difference.

The moral of the story is - just do it. Sit down, take the time and clean it up. Every reason you tell yourself you canít is just an excuse. You absolutely can do it - you just donít want to. Until you want to this is just spinning your wheels nonsense.

Old 02-15-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Agree with Draven for the most part. Reward your 30min or 1hr cleaning with a movie. Doing both might actually help the ambience of watching the movie, too.
Old 02-15-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
This should fix that right up - well, the lack-of-space problem, not the hoarding mental illness.

Wow. That's some storage.

Although, I am slightly annoyed that they named it ExaDrive. An exabyte drive would have 10 000 times more capacity than this drive.
Old 02-15-19, 10:41 AM

Well, my last job was pretty exhausting so all I wanted to do when home was watch movies or listen to music.
Part of being an adult means balancing the things you want to do with the things you have to do. I don't want to pick up messes around the house or clean anything after working a full day and dealing with my kids after school activities and therapy sessions, but it's something that has to be done unless I want to live in a messy house. You don't care about that so it's not an issue for you.
Old 02-15-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Vouching for the "1 hour a night" plan.

My place has been a bit of a mess lately. Too damn lazy to do anything about it, but I'm going away this weekend and need someone to come in to feed my cat. Didn't want my friend to see the sty I was living in, so this week I spent an hour or so every night whittling down the slop. Often, I spent more than an hour as once I got started and saw some results ("Hey, a clean section of counter space! You know what would be even better? TWO clean sections!"). OK, sure, last night I had to spend about 3-4 hours to finish the job, and there's still a lot more to be done, but at least it's presentable.

Here's the other thing, much more important. I found that the last few weeks I've been unable to enjoy watching a movie at my place. I honestly think it was due to not having any space on the coffee table to put my feet, or being crowded by a pile of folded laundry on the couch next to me. The first thing I wanted to do after all the cleaning last night was just enjoy my new clutter-free environment.
Old 02-15-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm with Vin, the plans and advice won't help. Alan needs to go the BlueliteSpecial route and seek therapy if he wants to change his life, but he clearly doesn't. Ultimately this has been a five year waste of time regarding us well-meaning folks and Alan's problem.
So ... who has the REAL problem?

ETA to note it's actually a month a way from a five year thread.

Last edited by Kurt D; 02-16-19 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
I'm with Vin, the plans and advice won't help. Alan needs to go the BlueliteSpecial route and seek therapy if he wants to change his life, but he clearly doesn't. Ultimately this has been a four+ year waste of time regarding us well-meaning folks and Alan's problem.
So ... who has the REAL problem?
Agreed. We're the only ones unhappy with the situation, and we don't have to live there.

Even that 6 hour timelapse video of a woman turning a dump of a room into a nice space that people would actually want to spend time in was insulted for having edits and because the lovely, clean room was "ruined" with a christmas tree at the end. An hour a day of cleaning would do miracles for Alan's place.
Old 02-15-19, 01:08 PM

and think that with more structured time I'll be more up for getting work done around here at least on the weekends.
Old 02-16-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old Alan: "I can't clean up, I'm too busy at work. I work 6 days a week."
2018 Alan: "I'm unemployed and have no time to clean."
2019 Alan: "I'm starting a new job and will have time to clean."

Logic.
Old 02-16-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least he’s an optimist?
Old 02-16-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Old Alan: "I can't clean up, I'm too busy at work. I work 6 days a week."
2018 Alan: "I'm unemployed and have no time to clean."
2019 Alan: "I'm starting a new job and will have time to clean."

Logic Progress!
Fixed.
Old 03-04-19, 11:01 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

At least this guy found a way to make (some?) money off of his collection...

Old 03-05-19, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone who has recently done some purging and went the binder route still have their bluray cases? I've made sort of a 180 and wanted to go back to displaying my collection, and would like to get a ton of empty cases and start printing out the covers again. Shoot me a PM if you can help out, thanks!
Old 03-05-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I will probably have about 500 empty 14 mm cases soon (I'm transferring my DVDs to 7mm cases), but I doubt they're worth the cost of shipping. I'm sure shipping all that would cost a small fortune, especially internationally.
Old 03-13-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How's the new job Alan?
Old 03-16-19, 12:24 AM

OK, kinda tedious but at least the people there are nice and it's only supposed to last for 3 months. Still been interviewing for something long-term and hopefully getting some outside help with that soon. Good to have my time more structured but I'm still pretty dead tired when getting home and can't do much productive things. Have to keep up with my laundry also.
Old 03-16-19, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But your plan to start cleaning when you had less time and energy was foolproof.
Old 03-16-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, kinda tedious but at least the people there are nice and it's only supposed to last for 3 months. Still been interviewing for something long-term and hopefully getting some outside help with that soon. Good to have my time more structured but I'm still pretty dead tired when getting home and can't do much productive things. Have to keep up with my laundry also.
I normally sympathize with your situation, but this? Really?

You live by yourself, and presumably don't have children. How is laundry anything more than 20 minutes work, a week?

You put the clothes in the machine (5 mins?), and while they're washing, you could be cleaning. Then you move them to the dryer (5 mins?), and while they're drying you could be cleaning. Then you take them out of the dryer, and fold and/or hang them up (5-10 mins).

This assumes you have a washer and dryer, or there is a laundromat in your building. If not, I suppose you might spend 2 hours doing it at a local laundromat.
Old 03-16-19, 04:31 PM

I have to use the washer dryers down the hall. Would be nothing if had them in here, but I have to make sure to get to them right when theyíre done so others can use them.
Old 03-16-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Set the timer on your phone or microwave. Easy peasy.
Old 03-18-19, 05:01 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by William Fuld View Post
But your plan to start cleaning when you had less time and energy was foolproof.
The logic argument ship has long since sailed. We are into requiring a professional to interact here if any real progress is to be made.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.