Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YEAT: Unresponsive user (buying crypto currency)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-09-14, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for advise what to do with this ebayer. He won my auction for 1,000,000 AOC (crypto currency), and he clearly does not know what he bought or what to do with it.

Here is the timeline:
- dec 27: auction ends and buyer gets notified of his win
- dec 28: buyer pays for auction (good!)
- dec 28: buyer informs me of his wallet address. This turns out to be a wallet for a different crypto currency, so I cannot transfer my AOC coins to him
- dec 28: I inform the buyer that his wallet is incorrect and ask him to send me the correct wallet
- jan 1: buyer asks me (quote) :"where can I get a wallet us there one on crypto"
- jan 1: I tell the buyer where to download the wallet and create one
- jan 3: I ask the buyer if he has been able to install the correct wallet. No answer
- jan 5: I ask the buyer if he has been able to finally get the wallet installed. I also tell him that we need to conclude this auction, so I offer him a full refund if that is what he wants to do. I tell him that I don't mind waiting another week, but that I will initiate a refund if I don't hear from him after one week. No answer to this email either.

So, the buyer paid promptly (good), but he either doesn't know how to install the wallet (which is strange, as he knows about wallet addresses, because he has given me one - for the wrong currency, but still), or the buyer simply isn't interested in replying.

What should I do? Obviously, I am going to wait the one week as I told him (so that will be until jan 12), but what should I do then. If I initiate a full refund (which I don't mind doing), can he then complain to ebay, because he has not formally agreed to this? But, he doesn't respond to anything anymore, so how can I get an agreement on how to move forward?

Any advise?
Old 01-09-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: YEAT: Unresponsive user (buying crypto currency)

If you give him a refund without canceling the transaction you lose the final value fee. I know nothing about crypto currency so I don't know how much your final value fee was but I would guess you don't want to lose it.

You could try to cancel & if the buyer doesn't respond within 7 days you can close the case and you will get your final value fee back but if the buyer declines then you are in trouble. Personally I would say call Ebay and see if they can help you cancel the transaction based on your timeline of what has happened. Normally you have to ship within a certain amount of time after receiving payment but since you don't mail a physical item I'm not sure how that works in your case.

Just wondering how you prove delivery without any type of tracking? Do your buyers pay with Paypal? How do you satisfy the buyer protection policy requiring delivery confirmation up to $250 and on-line signature confirmation for anything over $250?
Old 01-09-14, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
Just wondering how you prove delivery without any type of tracking? Do your buyers pay with Paypal? How do you satisfy the buyer protection policy requiring delivery confirmation up to $250 and on-line signature confirmation for anything over $250?
Thank you for your help.

In regards to your question: I guess it is a bit more loosely. I made it very clear in my auction that the buyer has the responsibility to give me their own, correct, wallet address. Once I transfer the coins to the wallet, I cannot retract them at all. And as far as delivery notification, I could provide screenshots of the transaction (but that one could hypothetically be doctored of course), or I think there is a way to log onto the currency network and trace that the transaction has indeed been initiated. If that is enough to satisfy the delivery guarantee, I don't know, and I guess this may be too technical for ebay to err on the side of the vendor. I am not risking a huge amount of money here (only about $20 of real dollars), but it is a good learning exercise. And yes, the auction was paid for using paypal.
Old 01-09-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paypal will only ask for a delivery confirmation # that will show a package has been delivered. If you cannot provide that the buyer will get there money back even if they left you positive feedback on Ebay saying exactly what they bought.

You could try sending them a mutual cancellation but like I said if they don't agree then you are out of options unless you just refund his money and let Ebay keep your Final Value Fee. You'll probably get a negative feedback but it's better than losing your crypto currency.