Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

If you want to be an attractive guy in the USA, is being White very important?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-13-13, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean attractive as in "oh he has such an amazing personality", I mean attractive as in good looking and handsome. The kind of guy that turns heads when he walks through the door and women want to approach him.

I laugh when I hear tall dark and handsome when most of the attractive men are white males who are very White looking (channing tatum, brad pitt, leo dicaprio, etc.).

As I have watched movies over the years, I have noticed that most of the guys who girls go crazy for are usually White guys. The IMDB lists online almost always show White males as being the most attractive actors. In real life I notice that the guys who get complimented on their looks and are seen as being very attractive are usually White too. I live in the bible belt if that means anything but I would think it is the same elsewhere in the USA too.

Now ethnically, I am Indian (South Asian) but I was born and bred in the US. I go to the gym, wear stylish clothes, and I know how to talk to people. I have dated outside of my own race but I could never seem to get the same respect as my White friends in terms of looks and all that if you know what I am trying to say.

Like for example, in your area of the US, would a guy like Bollywood Actor Shahid Kapoor be considered attractive?
Old 07-13-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 110 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: If you want to be an attractive guy in the USA, is being White very important?

Attraction is not a choice.
Old 07-13-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: If you want to be an attractive guy in the USA, is being White very important?

How many white males in India are considered attractive.
Old 07-13-13, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
quite a lot, just like worldwide

but my nationality is not Indian, my heritage is

and even if it was, why should America follow what other countries do? We as Americans set trends and it is only fair that other races get seen as attractive here.
Old 07-13-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My experience confirms your hypothesis. When I was younger, I was very attractive black man and didn't get much action at all. Now that I'm an average-looking white guy, it's definitely much better. I also went through a brief Indian phase in college, but I'm assuming most people have.
Old 07-13-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all really depends, TheOverLooked. Some women like white men and some don't. One woman I know refuses to date any man who isn't black because they find non-blacks unattractive. And she's a fair skinned latina. It's just her preference. I know another woman who has an obsession with Korean men and prides herself on being able to tell the difference between a pure blood Korean and one of mixed Asian decent. I also know women who find blacks and jews (with the only exceptions being guys like Laz Alonso or Richard Gere) unattractive but adore Italians and other whites.

It's a toss up as to who is attracted to whom and why.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'm guessing you're joking since Indians are obsessed with being white.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-13-13 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
One woman I know refuses to date any man who isn't black because they find non-blacks unattractive.
That's not the reason.
Old 07-13-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
That's not the reason.
Oh I've teased her about that reason. And though she doesn't deny that as a factor, she just tends to find white guys to be "blah" looking in general as well.
Old 07-13-13, 04:38 PM
Former Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

This was a solid thread when you made it on the IGN boards too.
Old 07-13-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Keys to being considered an "attractive" man:

1) Have lots of money

2) Nothing else matters
Old 07-13-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

I'm guessing you're joking since Indians are obsessed with being white.
Even the "whitest" East Indian is not "white" (at least what I'm used to looking at).

Disney-looking skin complexions are still the goal for most.

In any case, living in Portland, OR, we get some of the most ugly whites ever known to mankind. I'd highly recommend any country not becoming our color. We are the British Teeth of white over here.
Old 07-13-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post

1) Have lots of money

2) Confidence

3) Nothing else matters
Fixed.
Old 07-13-13, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post

1) Have lots of money

2) Nothing else matters

at a young age, yes it does

money isn't that important

I am talking pure looks here
Old 07-13-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-13-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought the "tall, dark and handsome" line came about during the late '50s or early '60s, and referred to white males who were tanned; not from other races. Maybe it changed over the years - I haven't been paying attention.
Old 07-13-13, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I thought the "tall, dark and handsome" line came about during the late '50s or early '60s, and referred to white males who were tanned; not from other races. Maybe it changed over the years - I haven't been paying attention.
apparently I was wrong
Old 07-13-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For clarification purposes, this is tall, dark and handsome:

The other guys you mentioned are just handsome. Women like that too.
Old 07-13-13, 08:00 PM

that guy is part Armenian

and btw, how are you not tall dark and handsome when you have his exact skin color, hair color, and eye color?

wtf
Old 07-13-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

To me, this is what tall, dark and handsome means. It's kind of an outdated ideal.

Old 07-13-13, 09:13 PM

ya

but it seems like minority males cannot really be considered attractive for some reason where I live or online and when I bring it up everyone attacks me rather than discussing why
Old 07-13-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't mean to be rude, but maybe you just aren't as attractive as you think you are, and it has nothing to do with your race?
Old 07-13-13, 09:31 PM

I am willing to post a pic and let the forum decide when I get a chance.
Old 07-13-13, 09:34 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Vote now, people...tits or ass?!
Old 07-13-13, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Vote now, people...tits or ass?!
ass

wish I could post pics

got some nice gifs waitin
Old 07-13-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOverLooked View Post
ya

but it seems like minority males cannot really be considered attractive for some reason where I live or online and when I bring it up everyone attacks me rather than discussing why
Anytime I see a Bollywood movie I assume the male lead could step into any Hollywood hotspot club and if well dressed could nab himself his pick of 99% of the women inside. And almost all the Persian guys I knew in high school in college as long as they were not fat did really well with women.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.