Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tesla and other Electric Cars Talk

Old 04-04-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Tesla and other Electric Cars Talk

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The Hyundai Equus was a nice car and a huge bargain for the price but I'n not spending $65K on a car to have a Hyundai nameplate on it.
I think that's the reason why they went upmarket with the Genesis brand. They are doing the same move that Toyota, Nissan and Honda did in the late 80's. People laughed back then but look at Lexus now and the other two are also major players in the luxury division.

Last edited by mrhan; 04-04-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
i3 is nice and cute, but only has a paltry 81 mile range as an all-electric. With a range-extender (gas-powered generator like in a Chevy Volt) you can get 150 miles out of it. It's a different sort of car than a Bolt or a Model 3 that's a true all-electric with decent range. I never see i3s in Vegas because they couldn't leave the Valley, but there are a bunch in Honolulu where 80 miles is fine for a daily-use car.

I like how both doors open outwards :
Yeah, they're all over the place in Los Angeles. The suicide doors are a nice touch.
Old 04-04-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I would put a deposit down for a Model 3 right now, but I'm not sure the local/regional infrastructure is going to be in place anytime soon. This entire region is twenty years behind the rest of the country.
Ditto. Except for the charging station I would install at home, there are NO other places nearby to charge up. I'd be limited to driving distances of no more than 40% my range capacity. There are exactly TWO Superchargers within a 75 mile radius of Bloomington - Indy and Terre Haute. None south or east of here, so except for my daily commute to work I'd get practically no road use out of one.

Want one? You betcha! Makes sense to own one with the lack of local infrastructure here in flyover country? Not a chance.
Old 04-04-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Consumer Reports gives the Tesla Model S the highest rating of any car in the mag

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Ditto. Except for the charging station I would install at home, there are NO other places nearby to charge up. I'd be limited to driving distances of no more than 40% my range capacity. There are exactly TWO Superchargers within a 75 mile radius of Bloomington - Indy and Terre Haute. None south or east of here, so except for my daily commute to work I'd get practically no road use out of one.

Want one? You betcha! Makes sense to own one with the lack of local infrastructure here in flyover country? Not a chance.
I'd bet they put in a bunch in the next 18 months.

As of now you could make it on a drive to Chicago, Columbus, Louisville or Cincy, couldn't you? It's a little hard to tell distance on the website. As long as they are less than 150 miles apart, you should be fine
Old 04-04-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to the map on Tesla's website there are a whole lot more planned for your area by the end of this year.
Old 04-04-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was surprised the Lafayette Meijer already has 8 supercharger bays.
Old 04-05-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I think that's the reason why they went upmarket with the Genesis brand. They are doing the same move that Toyota, Nissan and Honda did in the late 80's. People laughed back then but look at Lexus now and the other two are also major players in the luxury division.
Oh, Genesis is going to be a brand? Yes, good move.
Old 04-05-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it already was, but honestly they need a new name. I can't disassociate Genesis from 16-bit game consoles and Peter Gabriel.
Old 04-05-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I thought it already was, but honestly they need a new name. I can't disassociate Genesis from 16-bit game consoles and Peter Gabriel.
It is currently the name of one of their vehicles but it will eventually be a brand name on it's own. I'm sure the console and band aren't relevant these days so they're safe using it. Only us old people remember that.
Old 04-06-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It is currently the name of one of their vehicles but it will eventually be a brand name on it's own. I'm sure the console and band aren't relevant these days so they're safe using it. Only us old people remember that.
That's what I mean though, us older folks are the ones targeted by the premium brands

There are articles stating reservations will likely be at 400k by the end of today. But I dunno how reliable they are.
Old 04-06-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had thought about ordering one to keep my options open just in case I wanted to swap out my Model S at the trade-in window (36-39 months), but didn't bother as I think I would rather hang onto my current car than go to a new one that's a step down. It would be nice to fit both cars in my garage though. In either case, it's too late now.
Old 04-06-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's what I mean though, us older folks are the ones targeted by the premium brands
I don't know where you live but here in CA; especially L.A. and the SF bay area young people (25-35) are buying these high dollar cars. I guess it depends where you live. Even Cadillac is targeting a much younger audience. What old dude needs a 640hp Cadillac?
Old 04-06-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is good news :

Tesla will finally release real-time Supercharger availability data

Real-time Supercharger availability data is a feature Model S owners have been asking Tesla to implement for a while now. Itís something we know to be possible since the automaker already displays the data of each charger stalls of its most popular Supercharger locations in real-time on the ĎSupercharger Dashboardí located in its design studio in Hawthorne (see above), but the feature is not available in Tesla vehicles.

We never knew exactly why it was never implemented, but at least now we know itís coming.

Thereís always at least one available stall at most Supercharger stations, but at stations located on popular routes and during peak traffic or holidays, itís another game.

The feature would be very useful even if itís just for that one time it can notify you so that you can try to find an alternative and save some travel time.

Model S owners have reported over an hour and half of wait time at the Tejon Ranch Supercharger after last Christmas via Reddit:

In his latest Tweetstorm over the weekend, Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that the feature is coming:

TeslaFanboy ‎@lordsshrivas

@elonmusk supercharger busy/free status in navigation system will really help. Can skip a busy SC for an available SC for faster charge.

Follow
Elon Musk

‎@elonmusk

@lordsshrivas Coming soon for all Tesla cars. Just an OTA software update.
5:06 PM - 3 Apr 2016
Unfortunately, he didnít offer a timeframe for the update, but Tesla is expected to update the Model S as soon as this month.
Old 04-06-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know where you live but here in CA; especially L.A. and the SF bay area young people (25-35) are buying these high dollar cars. I guess it depends where you live. Even Cadillac is targeting a much younger audience. What old dude needs a 640hp Cadillac?
Old people have always driven V8 boats. Usually with a box of tissues and hat on the back ledge.
Old 04-06-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is good news :

Unfortunately, he didnít offer a timeframe for the update, but Tesla is expected to update the Model S as soon as this month.[/FONT]
Thanks for sharing that. Sent a link to the story to my fiance.

(Less a concern now that her company installed a third charger at her work. She can charge her car from 7 to 2 M-F every day now. Between that and our home charger, we'll only need to visit the charging stations during our Sunday runs to Costco or during road trips.)
Old 04-06-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Do some research. Those brands are often higher in quality/ratings than the major Japanese car makers.
Hyundai seems to be very good bang/buck these days, which is how I like to buy things.

Well-rated, not as well as Honda/Nissan/Toyota, but a decent measure cheaper.

My wife's 2008 Elantra has held up pretty well for the last 60,000 miles, she's at 115k now..only one repair item of note that wasn't normal maintenance (a bit of front suspension).
Old 04-06-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I can see that for LA and SF Bay for numerous reasons. Over on this coast it's a little less common.

I'm 33 and single, I should have a nicer car but I'm paying off debt and eat literally all my free change. (I'm still killing the planet with my Jetta TDI, 190k strong )
Old 04-06-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I can see that for LA and SF Bay for numerous reasons. Over on this coast it's a little less common.

I'm 33 and single, I should have a nicer car but I'm paying off debt and eat literally all my free change. (I'm still killing the planet with my Jetta TDI, 190k strong )
Damn. That's not old and the fact that you have (I'm assuming) a vehicle that's paid off makes your situation not bad at all.
Old 04-12-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As rumored the Model S gets a bit of a design update to bring it in line with the look of the Model X and Model 3:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11...-specs-details

Old 04-13-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the black nose more since it's so distinctive of Tesla Model S, but that looks pretty nice.

Got a new Software update. Supposedly improves the Summon feature (we'll see), but is already being widely hailed for the Easter Egg that is unlocked when you engage Autopilot four times in rapid succession :

You can't really hear it, but it also plays a snippet of the SNL "more cowbell" version of "Don't Fear The Reaper" as it starts
Old 05-05-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-te...-idUSKCN0XV2JL

Apparently they're ramping up production, 500k cars in 2018.
Old 05-05-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-29-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked her up.

and no, you don't get to keep the bow.
Over one year now. Thought I'd give a quick update:
They've had several software updates. Most to fix Summon features. It works a lot better than before. Still I never use it to park -- It can park the car in tight spaces, but the thing is I don't want to park my car in tight spaces. I do use it sometimes to back the car out. If I'm parked tight against the driver's side (like next to a bush) to leave as much room as possible on the passenger side to avoid another car, it does help to back the car out then get in. Plus some of the stunned looks from passer-byes are priceless!
Just had my 1 year service last week. Cost $450. Changed filters, refilled fluids, rotated tires. Stuff like that. They also fixed a funny circuit that made the driver's control for the passenger window not work properly (sometimes the window would roll down instead of up). Also fixed a rattly noise that turned out to be a loose wire under the passenger seat.

So in a year, I've had very few problems. A couple of rattles that were fixed. A faulty sensor that would sound when nothing was actually behind me -- that seems to resolve after one of the software updates. Not much, don't know what Consumer Reports was getting hung up on. The car is still amazing me. Takes off like a rocket. Drives itself on the freeway -- that never gets old (though I'm rarely on the freeways most days). They are becoming more and more popular -- I talked our hospital CEO into getting one apparently. That will be the fifth in our Doctor's lot.

In the past year, I've pumped gas like six times : four times when taking my wife's minivan on road trips, once with a rental car in HI and once when I just wanted to be nice to the Mrs and fill her tank for her. When more and more people get electric cars, they will realize how freeing and amazing it is to not buy gas. One of our local Chevron stations is already readying for that day :
Spoiler:
Old 05-29-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still waiting on my joyride there... I swear once Tesla gets a family friendly car I'll be all over it. With two monster car seats I just need something more practical at the moment. First world problems I know.
Old 05-29-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the past year, I've pumped gas like six times : four times when taking my wife's minivan on road trips, once with a rental car in HI and once when I just wanted to be nice to the Mrs and fill her tank for her. When more and more people get electric cars, they will realize how freeing and amazing it is to not buy gas.
I've had my Leaf since November, and have gone to fill up the wife's Volvo once since then. It's so liberating. We got a lvl 2 charger at home, and the range anxiety that we had initially with only the trickle charger is gone. Can't wait until 2018!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.