Other Talk "Otterville"

NTSB Recommends Lowering Legal Limit To 0.05

Old 05-20-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: NTSB Recommends Lowering Legal Limit To 0.05

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've found some numbers.

In 2009, 0.14% of drivers stopped at California checkpoints were drunk. Link.
In 2010, 31% of all driving fatalities nationwide involved one driver with at BAC of .08 or higher. 63% of all driving fatalities had a BAC of .00. The people who had a BAC greater than .00 but less than .08 were involved with only 5% of fatalities. Link.

So less than 1% of drivers are involved with nearly a third of all driving fatalities. It would be a better use of resources to go after them, instead of trying to expand the definition of DUI to pick up the marginal cases.

Moralists don't want to hear it. But I don't care about purity. I want to cure the problem.
Well that tells me I probably drive better and more alert right around .08.
Old 05-21-13, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense if it was determined by someone's body weight and alcohol intake? I mean .08 for a 225lb man doesn't really mean he's drunk but .08 for a 90lb girl mean's she probably is. I never really got that. lowering it I doubt will save (m)any lives.
Not at all. It takes a lot more alcohol for a 225 lb. man to get to .08 than it does for a 90 lb. girl.
Old 06-10-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man charged with DUI despite zero blood alcohol

Old 06-11-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess they named the city "Surprise" for a reason.
Old 06-11-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

After getting several tickets...I'd think about my driving habits at certain times.

Was this guy the only person driving at this particular time of night? That's my first question. Second question, is how does Jessie come to the conclusion he's being harassed while hundreds of other vehicles are on the road at that particular time of night/early morning.
Old 06-12-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is driving habits, they should ticket him for that. But when you arrest on a DUI, get a negative blood test, follow it up with a drug expert, etc., you apologize.
Old 06-12-13, 02:02 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I was pulled over, and surprised because I just pulled out of a parking lot and hadn't done anything, and I blew a .08.

The cops let me go. I'd only had a couple of drinks and was totally fine. I guess they could've nailed me if they wanted to.
Old 06-12-13, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've found some numbers.

In 2009, 0.14% of drivers stopped at California checkpoints were drunk. Link.
In 2010, 31% of all driving fatalities nationwide involved one driver with at BAC of .08 or higher. 63% of all driving fatalities had a BAC of .00. The people who had a BAC greater than .00 but less than .08 were involved with only 5% of fatalities. Link.

So less than 1% of drivers are involved with nearly a third of all driving fatalities. It would be a better use of resources to go after them, instead of trying to expand the definition of DUI to pick up the marginal cases.

Moralists don't want to hear it. But I don't care about purity. I want to cure the problem.
I'm a moralist. I care about purity. I find wasting resources on feel-good nonsense to be immoral.

I'd like to see numbers of actual accidents broken down by blood alcohol content rather than a grouping of .01 to .07. Maybe there's a huge spike at .5.

I'd also like to see numbers that include more than fatal crashes. Injuries and major property damage should be taken into consideration.

Maybe it's worthwhile, but I don't see it yet. The "even if it only saves one life" argument doesn't cut it. Bans on swimming pools, bathtubs, and buckets would save a lot more than one life.
Old 06-12-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

No one will die in a car accident if we outlaw driving.
Old 06-12-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 583 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
I was pulled over, and surprised because I just pulled out of a parking lot and hadn't done anything, and I blew a .08.

The cops let me go. I'd only had a couple of drinks and was totally fine. I guess they could've nailed me if they wanted to.
Had you just walked out of an establishment that served alcohol and was it late?

This does happen. Police will stake out a known watering hole and watch people come out and look for people that appear to stagger or have difficulty opening their car doors (easier to see before everyone had remote entry), and then follow them for a mile or so and look for an excuse to pull them over.
Old 06-12-13, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Had you just walked out of an establishment that served alcohol and was it late?

This does happen. Police will stake out a known watering hole and watch people come out and look for people that appear to stagger or have difficulty opening their car doors (easier to see before everyone had remote entry), and then follow them for a mile or so and look for an excuse to pull them over.

Yeah, they were doing exactly that. Parked across the road at a gas station. But I wasn't staggering or anything.

I was shocked when they pulled me over and even more surprised I blew a .08. I'm kinda surprised they didn't give me a DUI.
Old 06-12-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they were doing exactly that. Parked across the road at a gas station. But I wasn't staggering or anything.
Was it a weeknight by chance?

Those were the easiest DUIs. Just about anyone who leaves a bar near closing time on a weeknight and gets in a car alone is a DUI.
Old 06-12-13, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Was it a weeknight by chance?

Those were the easiest DUIs. Just about anyone who leaves a bar near closing time on a weeknight and gets in a car alone is a DUI.

It was in summer, so I'm not sure. Just stopped by a bar to meet with friends to celebrate a graduation or something. Only stayed about 90 minutes and probably left about 11:30 p.m. or a few hours before close.

But I did leave alone. Just glad the police didn't nail me on it.
Old 06-12-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, you're way lucky. A friend of mine blew a .06 and still got a DUI, and she was a hot young blonde woman.

Under Vehicle Code section 23152(a) you can be charged with a DUI even if you blow under .08. This subsection, as opposed to subsection (b), assumes that you may still be impaired even though your blood alcohol level is below the legal limit.
Old 06-12-13, 11:33 PM

I was shocked when they pulled me over and even more surprised I blew a .08. I'm kinda surprised they didn't give me a DUI.
Had you drank immediately before leaving? Might've still had some traces in your mouth causing the breathalyzer to spike. I'd sit for a bit after the alcohol. Wash the mouth out a bit before hitting the road.
Old 07-12-13, 03:53 AM

Only 800 to 900 can be saved, what about other families. Law must be made stricter so that every citizen is saved.
Old 07-12-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by georgegibson View Post
Only 800 to 900 can be saved, what about other families. Law must be made stricter so that every citizen is saved.
Why don't we just ban driving all together (since more people die in sober accidents than drunk ones)? That way no one will die! Better yet, why don't we all just stay inside with our head buried in the ground?

oh, and welcome to the forum...
Old 07-15-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is looking like the issue is a non-starter, at least for now:

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/pe...limit-for-dui-

The National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Deborah Hersman’s push to lower legal blood-alcohol limits for drivers appears headed down a dead end road.

States show little interest in revisiting the hot-button issue, industry groups are lining up against the plan and even the most ardent foes of intoxicated drivers
– including Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) – have declined to endorse it.
More at the link. When you cannot even get MADD to come on board, I think the issue is dead.
Old 07-23-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 555 Likes on 316 Posts

If you reduce the legal limit to below the tolerance range of your breathalyzer, you can make LOTS of arrests!