Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Vertigo?

Old 03-13-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vertigo?

Anyone else have any experiences with this pleasant disorder? Starting over the weekend, I would wake up in the morning and have a massive dizzy spell. Same thing with when I went to lie down in bed at night. Scary stuff. So, I called my doctor and saw him today. He diagnosed me as having Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_vertigo

He thinks it was caused by a sinus infection throwing things off in my inner ear. I've got a prescription for an antibiotic and a medication to help with the dizziness. The spinning and accompanying nausea are pretty horrible. I'm hoping the prescriptions help clear it up soon because this really sucks.
Old 03-13-13, 02:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Vertigo?

That sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you get better soon.
Old 03-13-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Takes me quite a bit of time, trouble, and money to make it to that state.

You get it for free...

That seem right to you?
Old 03-13-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoohoo, yes, fun stuff

The only way the medication will help you is if this was brought on by an infection, otherwise, you are in the same boat I am where your body just needs to adjust to whatever change has happened (for me it was just getting older I think)

My Dr did send me for an MRI just to make sure there wasn't anything more serious going on.

My first issue with it lasted for about 2 weeks and that was 7-8 years ago. I have since had several more episodes.

Best thing to do is take your meds and clear up the infection (if that is in fact causing it, no way to know) then you need to do the 'exercises' or it will linger on longer. Periodically you will want to keep doing the exercises so you don't get hit with it by surprise again (I do them once a week when I remember ) (google it)
Old 03-13-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, my doctor gave me a sheet of Cawthorne's Head Exercises for me to work on. He did tell me to make sure to save the sheet, just in case. I'm going to start them up a bit later...I'm still feeling pretty blah at the moment. The Antivert is making me want to sleep something wicked.
Old 03-13-13, 03:10 PM
X
Administrator

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I got it a couple years go, I think after sneezing really hard. It must have dislodged the balance crystals in my ear. It was like being constantly drunk. Everything I was looking at was spinning and I had to hold on to the walls to walk.

None of the exercises or a chiropractor worked for me. A doctor gave me something that didn't really do anything either. It just took a couple weeks for the crystals to realign.
Old 03-13-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-13-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun.
No, it doesn't. It sounds horrible, you stupid, stupid man.
Old 03-13-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Yeah, my doctor gave me a sheet of Cawthorne's Head Exercises for me to work on. He did tell me to make sure to save the sheet, just in case. I'm going to start them up a bit later...I'm still feeling pretty blah at the moment. The Antivert is making me want to sleep something wicked.
Yes, do the exercises, the more you do them (slow at first and maybe only do 1 or 2 , work up to more) the faster you will get better and yes, the exercises WILL MAKE YOU MORE DIZZY at first, this is normal Have a barf bucket nearby! Free bed spins!

You have heard of no pain no gain, well it applies here

Once you build up, do the exercises faster and faster. The worse thing you can do is just sit or lay in one position all day (even though that is exactly what you feel you should do). Even if you just half asses attempt one slow round of exercises, it will help you to get better (even if it makes you barf), but do take any head movements slow right now.

Antivert (meclizine) never did shit for me either, other than put me to sleep (which I didn't need as the vertigo itself makes you tired)
Old 03-13-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I woke up from a nap and the room wasn't spinning. It's not much, but it's a start.

The doctor had me lie down and shake my head from left to right with my eyes closed and then had me abruptly sit up and open my eyes. I wanted to kick him in the balls with everything I had,lol.
Old 03-13-13, 08:15 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
Wait. That's sarcasm, right?
Old 03-13-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
Guys in my dorm spent a lot of money to get fucked up, because they thought it was great. It turns out that you can dislodge a few crystals and get it for free.
Old 03-13-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no idea that I had crystals in me that had to be properly aligned. I'm practically a scifi ship.
Old 03-13-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had BPPV. The Eppley Maneuver cured me instantly one time. The next time, it didn't work, but exercises and time helped. go here, http://vestibular.org/ and read up, and use their "find help" link to find someone who specializes in this stuff. Docs will know a little, but I had much better success with the PT I found who specializes in vestibular disorders.
Old 03-13-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jimmy Stewart.
Old 03-14-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

stare at this

Spoiler:

but seriously I have dizzy spells now and then
not fun
Old 03-14-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

best vertigo top 40 #1 song - Dizzy by Tommy Roe. 1969.
Old 03-14-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I did, about six years ago. Turns out it was a symptom of me having a series of strokes.

It totally sucked. I hadn't thrown up since the fourth grade, and suddenly I was a non-stop vomit fountain.

So you might want to make sure you're not having a stroke.
Old 03-14-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had it my whole life. About once every 6-7 months I get so dizzy/sick that I can't even leave the bathroom. It'll last a full day and the only thing I can do is take Nyquil and hope I pass out. Usually, the headache is so bad that I can't get to sleep regardless of what I try. I also deal with motion sickness which is basically the same thing. If I get sick from motion, it turns into the same type of migraine and will last a full day. My doctor gave me a sample of Treximet but I've been too scared to take it after reading all the side effects listed on its web site.
Old 03-14-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Wait. That's sarcasm, right?
I don't even know anymore.
Old 03-14-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rear Window?
Old 03-14-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Yup on Cawthorne's.

Mine was caused by working at a computer screen all day, this happened many years ago. I'm still at the same job, but I'm up at other people's desks helping more so I don't get it anymore.
Old 03-14-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The answer is, What Hitchcock movie gives away the surprise much too early?
Old 03-15-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had bad motion sickness once, which essentially happens the same way as benign positional vertigo. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life. I have a lot of sympathy for people with vertigo.
Old 03-27-13, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm happy to say that I've been finished with the medications since Friday and am feeling a lot better. No reoccurences or major dizziness to speak of. I've got my sheet of head exercises nearby, just in case. Someone mentioned to me that I should pick up some Bonine to have around also just in case. Might pick some up today. Can't hurt to have it on hand.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.