Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YACT: electric car owners, how much does it increase your electric bill?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

YACT: electric car owners, how much does it increase your electric bill?

Old 09-17-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: YACT: electric car owners, how much does it increase your electric bill?

A few things on batteries that I don't see mentioned (maybe I missed them)

1. You NEVER get 100% of the stated capacity on a battery

1A. In a year or two of regular charging, used as a daily driver, you will be at 85% capacity as your MAX, and it will keep falling (although not as fast as the initial drop). The warranty won't kick in until you are less than 50% of capacity, have fun driving around for a year or two on a 55% max charge

2. Air conditioning takes your 100 mile range down to about 20 miles Have fun in a warm climate

3. if you follow the entire life cycle of the batteries used in these cars, the pollution and environmental impact caused is probably worse than just burning gas in a modern engine (I don't think anyone knows for sure) Environmental concerns are why these batteries are made in China and not here NIMBY

I am not sure why we waste time with electric cars when natural gas cars make so much more sense. Take a typical camry on the street now. cost is about $2500 to convert it to CNG. If you have gas to your house, you can install a compressor and fill it right in your own garage. I am sure there are some safety concerns, but darwin will always hand out awards as needed

The billions wasted on Ethanol could have put CNG pumps in all major gas stations nationwide....

With regards to maintenance on gas engines, modern cars have come so far that it's a non-issue
120k mile spark plugs
7500 mile oil changes
10 year/100k mile coolant
really, these are very minor expenses these days. If we were back in the time of point ignitions, then you might have something to complain about

bottom line, unless gas hits $10/gallon, electric cars are not for me.

and most people fail to see that electricity is still primarily generated by COAL
Old 09-17-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What I foresee is our American City Governments buying 95% of these vehicles at astronomic prices (the 5% being the Liberal middle class family who want to drive around in a political message to educate the "uninformed"), and of course, passing the millions of bucks to the Taxpayer. They're great for tooting around a metropolitan area--a few miles here and a few miles there, all within a few feet of help if anything breaks down. And these vehicles are great for cities who have a mayor who's pro-Green and markets the city as a "clean and progressive city", and so on.

In any case, as we get off topic, I'm wondering why we can't retrofit cars with a better torque adjustment that will allow the gasoline vehicles to barely need the required power to move the wheels. I would think a retrofit such as Natural Gas stated above, would be a much better option. Think of the possibilities. You can buy a regular gasoline car now, but opt for an "upgrade" in the future. I'd like that option.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-17-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
That is excellent that they were able to eliminate the motors, wheels and bearings. Perhaps they utilize frictionless components where they can as well.
I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about regular auto maintenance on the car/engine and not the drivetrain or anything else. Those things occasionally break and need to be replaced on both ICE and Electric cars but I don't think that's part of any manufacturers regular maintenance schedule.
Old 09-18-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The "estimated" cost of the electricity used to recharge in these scenarios is way too low. Most folks are on a tiered system, mine starts at 14 cents per kwh and rapidilly escalates to 33 cents. Also, that does not included "distribution" which adds 15 to 17 cents more per kwh. So, to be more realistic, the savings per mile would be significantly less (probably "only" around 5 cents) once you properly account for the fact that charging the electric car will put your average electrictity consumption much higher per month (put you in a much higher 'tier') and adding in distribution costs.
Where the hell do you live that you are paying 29 to 50 cents per kWh?! The only place even close to that is Hawaii (which averages 24 cents per kWh). 2010 rate averages from ElectricChoice.com:

Old 09-18-12, 10:39 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Where the hell do you live that you are paying 29 to 50 cents per kWh?! The only place even close to that is Hawaii (which averages 24 cents per kWh). 2010 rate averages from ElectricChoice.com:
My Tier 4 Kwh charge (I'm way above that threshold) is $0.27375 for the electricity, a CRS(?) charge of about 12.5% of the electricity charge, and $0.06900 for generation totaling almost 38 per Kwh.
Old 09-18-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
I read that there's barely a savings. Except on pollution and stuff. I got a place for you to park your damn hippie cars - you hard working, educated elitist snobs! I'm gonna go punch a tree.
Damnit, tell me where we can park! I've been circling the block for hours!
Old 09-18-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Like I said, those "national averages" don't take into accout tiered systems (or, if they do they use the lowest tier's price) and they only account for generation charges, not both generation and distribution. They are massively incorrect. I'm in SoCal, which indsn't even the most expensive, as I understand it. Granted, not everyone will be in Tier 5 (= 33 cents per kwh + dist. charges), but the average is probably arou 25 cents (tier 3) + distribution charges of (0.069 to 0.089 per kwh)= ~ $0.34 per kwh . In other words, a bloody rip off.
Old 09-18-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A couple grocery stores near me have special electric car parking spots. Where you can recharge for free while you shop. Never seen anyone park there, lol, but still there.
Old 09-18-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Like I said, those "national averages" don't take into accout tiered systems (or, if they do they use the lowest tier's price) and they only account for generation charges, not both generation and distribution. They are massively incorrect. I'm in SoCal, which indsn't even the most expensive, as I understand it. Granted, not everyone will be in Tier 5 (= 33 cents per kwh + dist. charges), but the average is probably arou 25 cents (tier 3) + distribution charges of (0.069 to 0.089 per kwh)= ~ $0.34 per kwh . In other words, a bloody rip off.
Its all those windmills and solar. In Michigan, we only have two tiers, I'm in second, and it is just a hair under 14, counting all the little adjustments, taxes, surcharges, everything but the fixed "meter fee".
Old 09-18-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My work has a charging station with two spaces for the electric cars employees have. They are setup through the local utility here and the cost is $2/hr which seems pretty high to me. They are regularly used though... my guess is that it's partly because there are only three spots closer in than the charging spaces.