Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Attack of the Evil Electric Bill! It's Huge, Run For Your Lives!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Attack of the Evil Electric Bill! It's Huge, Run For Your Lives!

Old 07-14-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Attack of the Evil Electric Bill! It's Huge, Run For Your Lives!

I never want to live in a place where keeping the AC at 80 is good enough.
Old 07-14-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
at a huge $185 bill. my bill here in phoenix for july and august is nearly $400 w/ the thermostats set no lower than 80.
My exact reaction. I live in South Texas, so we're basically in the exact same boat. I would be thrilled to have a $180 electric bill.
Old 07-14-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
this "new place" must be a 900 square foot apartment. if you can ever get yourself out of the financial clusterfuck you're in, wait until you see the electric bill for a house.
Old 07-14-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
My exact reaction. I live in South Texas, so we're basically in the exact same boat. I would be thrilled to have a $180 electric bill.
my lowest bill is in the winter. i want to keep it super cold in the house, but the wife gets mad. so i set it to like 72. i think we usually average about $90 - $100 in the coldest winter months.
Old 07-14-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our bills have been in the $130 - $150 range in the summer months and as much as $200 in the winter. $180 seems reasonable.
Old 07-14-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I never want to live in a place where keeping the AC at 80 is good enough.
Lol

Me neither. It got to the low seventies here about 2 weeks ago, which made my 2nd floor apartment in the low 80's. Hell on earth heat here in Alaska. I ended up buying a balcony screen door and a fan. I think I might never return to the lower 48 during the summer months, where heat like that is considered normal.
Old 07-14-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is not an expensive bill for 100+ degree weather when you're letting your AC run 24/7. When I lived in the SF valley in SoCal, my bill was around $200 a month in summer. Now that I love closer to the ocean and never use it, it's like $50 a month.
Old 07-14-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$130 is expensive? What... the... hell...?

Here's what I have going against me:
  1. I live 100 feet up in the air.
  2. I have not a single window I can open.
  3. I have a central AC unit built directly into my place.
  4. I have electronics in every, other square foot of the house.
  5. I live in the desert.
My electric bill for last month was $124, $15 more than last year. I keep my thermostat at 80 during the day, 72 - 74 at night. Once all is considered, that's pretty cheap considering the average home had an electric bill of $165 last month as per the electric company.

Right now? I'm half-way through my billing cycle at $75. My month could end anywhere from $117 - $217.
Old 07-14-12, 03:16 PM
Banned

Temp set at 68 all year round for me. You folks setting it at 78+ are fricken' loons.
Old 07-14-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something that no one has pointed out:
Many utility company have some shitty variable called something like "seasonal adjustment factor". This allows them to charge higher rates during peak periods (aka Summer) when their costs to import additional power from outside sources is higher.
Old 07-14-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Temp set at 68 all year round for me. You folks setting it at 78+ are fricken' loons.
if i kept my house at 68 degrees during the summer, my bill would probably be over $1,000.
Old 07-14-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, those 4 fans on 24/7 gobble up quite a lot of power. Anything on continuously will add up very fast when you consider that there are 8760 hours in a year that that device will be drawing current. I think $180 is reasonable considering all the stuff you have drawing power. And the more power you use the more those bastards charge you per Kwh. Also, the new, evil "smartmeter" really is smart because it charges you more based on the hours of the day and demand. I've successfully fought that and still have my old meter in place, for how much longer, who knows? But, I'm way down in the blip range with a $3.58 power bill for June / July, and 73 kwhrs of usage. I'd rather suffer at 78 to 80 degrees without AC than get a $1000 power bill to keep the house at 65 degrees where I would be comfortable. Keep everything unplugged, even electronic devices that are "off", and try to cut down on your laundry load. I air-dry my clothes outside on the line and they last so much longer.
Old 07-14-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in an area that doesn't really have seasons. We get the occasional cold front, but it's pretty much high 80s on up all year, including winter. In fact, if it's in the 80s outside, that's pretty comfortable. When it's in the 70s here, you see people start wearing coats. Until you live somewhere like that, you won't understand.
Old 07-14-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

68 is ice cold to me. Like I posted before, I set it at 70 or 72 at night, because I sleep well when it's "cold".
Old 07-14-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$284 a month. The old man is on oxygen 24/7 and needs his AC set at 70 year round. Suck it.
Old 07-14-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
You keep your thermostat set at 80? That's ridiculous. I remember when I was a child, President Carter said you should keep it set at 68 and put on a sweater. Maybe you should try doing that.
No this is for summer. I never use the heater and always have it set at 58 or something close to that.

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Well, your marijuana grow lights use a lot of juice.
Nah. Got a battery powered one.

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
Those numbers don't sound out of line for a bigger place. You are also have a hotter summer than normal, aren't you.

As for re-reading the meter, aren't the readings they claim on your bill? They are here. Read it yourself. As long as your current reading is higher than what is on the bill, it will all balance out on the next bill.
I never thought to check it. Just wondering what made it high.

at a huge $185 bill. my bill here in phoenix for july and august is nearly $400 w/ the thermostats set no lower than 80.
A friend of mine said his bills were in that range when he lived in AZ and his house was old. This place is two years old.

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
+1. Look at the bill. Compare the number with the meter. This is not difficult. Is your water heater, dryer, and/or stove electric or gas?
All gas.

bingo, but that's not terrible unexpected considering the car thread.
Damn, surprised it took you this long to make a stupid joke about the car thread. I can't wait til I post about a pet dying or a relative being ill and you come back with a crack about not being able to afford to care for them because I got raped.

this "new place" must be a 900 square foot apartment. if you can ever get yourself out of the financial clusterfuck you're in, wait until you see the electric bill for a house.
Well, this "new place" is a 1400 square foot condo but thanks for playing. It also cost more than the old place. I know electric bills for houses can be higher. So what? My financial situation is fine, fuck you very much. It's my credit that is bad.

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The new place is twice as big so $45 more than your previous high shouldn't be unexpected.

There could be other factors too. Insulation, direct sunlight, location of themostat, windows. As others mentioned, maybe run your ceiling fans less. Wouldn't that push the warmer upper air down more?
I think ceiling fans have some switch that helps with that. I knew it'd be more. I guess the thread title is misleading. I just wanted to make sure I didn't get ripped off is all.

Get bent, Deftones. I mean seriously. I'm so tired of your useless comments.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
$130 is expensive? What... the... hell...?

Here's what I have going against me:
  1. I live 100 feet up in the air.
  2. I have not a single window I can open.
  3. I have a central AC unit built directly into my place.
  4. I have electronics in every, other square foot of the house.
  5. I live in the desert.
My electric bill for last month was $124, $15 more than last year. I keep my thermostat at 80 during the day, 72 - 74 at night. Once all is considered, that's pretty cheap considering the average home had an electric bill of $165 last month as per the electric company.

Right now? I'm half-way through my billing cycle at $75. My month could end anywhere from $117 - $217.
Like I said, just making sure I'm not getting ripped off.
Old 07-14-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call to complain.

Hottest summer on record, you moving into a bigger place, and your bill goes up.
Old 07-14-12, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I live in an area that doesn't really have seasons. We get the occasional cold front, but it's pretty much high 80s on up all year, including winter. In fact, if it's in the 80s outside, that's pretty comfortable. When it's in the 70s here, you see people start wearing coats. Until you live somewhere like that, you won't understand.
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Arizona, TX, etc. Hell with that. Used to play football in the snow with some sweat pants and a sweat shirt as a northern boy.

The heat doesn't bother me when I am outside, but I'll be damned if I let my home feel like a sauna.
Old 07-14-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post

Well, this "new place" is a 1400 square foot condo but thanks for playing. It also cost more than the old place. I know electric bills for houses can be higher. So what? My financial situation is fine, fuck you very much. It's my credit that is bad.

keep telling yourself that. oh and bragging about your 1400 sq ft condo to people who own a house is hilarious.
Old 07-14-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 07-14-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved into a new (small, two-bedroom) apartment. I run the AC at 68-72 whenever I'm at home. It's off when I leave. If my bill is over $120 I'm going to be upset. I guess I should prepare myself to be ridiculed.
Old 07-14-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

keep telling yourself that. oh and bragging about your 1400 sq ft condo to people who own a house is hilarious.
Both of you can fuck off. Seriously. Who is bragging? I lived in a shithole apartment and am now in a better place. Why is it so hard to fathom that I'm not broke or in financial trouble?

Bragging. That's a good one.

I should seriously ignore you both, but I guess I thought maybe one of these days the planets will align and you'll actually have something useful to add to one of my threads. I mean I can handle a joke but the same old tired shit isn't funny to me so shut your traps because i don't come here to get ridiculed by the likes of you.
Old 07-14-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
I just moved into a new (small, two-bedroom) apartment. I run the AC at 68-72 whenever I'm at home. It's off when I leave. If my bill is over $120 I'm going to be upset. I guess I should prepare myself to be ridiculed.
<Deftones> only if you like getting raped!!!!111"
<Osiris 3657> OMG lmao!!! You're so broke!! Get a real house, n00b!!!!"
Old 07-14-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Everybody's bills are going up. My usual electricity bill with levelized billing is $135 per month. With the extreme heat Kansas saw the last few weeks, my recent bill jumped up $18.

We keep the A/C on 72 to 74. When I lived in an apartment I kept it at 82-84, but that doesn't work here.

Also, my electricity bill also covers water and trash. I didn't have to pay those things when I lived in an apartment, so my bill jumped up like $50 a month as soon as I bought this place in 2006. So I can kind of see where the OP is feeling the pain. But yes ... that seems really cheap considering he lives in California.

EDITED TO ADD that when I rented my first apartment in 1984 at the tender age of 19, my first electricity bill was $8.
Old 07-14-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last electric bill in my old condo was $9.71

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.