Chicago Suggestions?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Chicago Suggestions?

Old 06-26-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Suggestions?

Hiya all.

My wife and I are heading to Chicago with our 21 year old daughter next week (will be there from the 2nd through 5th). Any suggestions on things to do while we're there? None of us have ever been there, so open to ideas.

We'll be busy on the 4th with a competition that we're in town for, but will have time on the 2nd and 3rd. We won't have a car, but I'm sure we won't need one. We're staying at the Sheraton, downtown.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Chicago Suggestions?

I'm not from Chicago but go there enough... Howl at the Moon is a great place at night and the Navy Pier is fantastic during the day.
Old 06-26-12, 03:56 PM
Suspended

As a person who lived in Chicago 95% of my life stay away from Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue. They're a clusterfuck. Cool free and inexpensive things to do Lincoln Park Zoo, Tuesdays at the MoCA (okay its near Mich Ave so its kind of unavoidable to completely skip it. Gateway to the Future is cool AKA The Bean. I also recommend for great shopping going to Wicker Park its off the Damen blue line and going around Wrigleyville although its kind of douche central in Chicago still a fun experience. Walk around Belmont and Clark and there's a great sports bar called The Scout off Wabash with foot long grilled cheese. If you want a great hot dog the two best places are Hot Doug's and a place called Jim Bob's on Maxwell street. Ride the rails buy a day pass you'll thank me for it.
Old 06-26-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You've read this thread already, yes?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ce-insane.html
Old 06-26-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'm not from Chicago but go there enough... Howl at the Moon is a great place at night and the Navy Pier is fantastic during the day.
This is sarcasm right?
Old 06-26-12, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
You've read this thread already, yes?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ce-insane.html
Yea but the toursity areas he's going to aren't the urban communities. I live in LA it doesn't mean I go for a stroll through Compton or East LA every day. I lived in Chicago the bad areas are no where near downtown, in fact I never felt unsafe in the actual city. So unless he has some unexpected buisness on the far west side near Cermak, Austin, or down nears 79th I think you're okay.
Old 06-26-12, 04:43 PM
Banned

For Tuesday or Wed. night go to The Cell it's the home of the Chicago White Sox vs. Texas rangers.
Be sure to get bleacher seats. They are night games and will be the only safe place in Chicago at night.
DO NOT TAKE THE RED LINE TRAIN!!!!
Many muggings this year.
Take a cab there.
Go also to Division & Rush street which is downtown. It's a good meet market and safe to walk around.
These are the only areas to be around at night if your not driving.
Again a lot of muggins in Chicago this year.
Whites have been the targets.
Old 06-26-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also check out the Armitage/Halsted shopping area off of the Armitage Brown Line stop. Armitage is nice - similar to Damen Ave. in Wicker Park. Nice neighborhood to walk around in. Cross Halsted and walk along Burling and Howe St. to see some of the biggest, fanciest houses in the city. Really beautiful properties including what is, I believe, the largest single family residence in the city. You can see the back of it from Halsted now as there is some construction. Place it amazing.

Maybe check out Green Mill of Lawrence Red Line if you are into live music. It's mostly Jazz. A historical location where Al Capone used to hang out. It has a great vibe.

I've heard the Architectural boat tour is fun, though I've never done it myself. Generally I would avoid guided tours like that.
Old 06-26-12, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post

And don't listen to this advice. Any of the areas mentioned in this thread are perfectly safe during the day and evening. I expect you'll be pretty close to your hotel after 10 or 11.
Old 06-26-12, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
Yea but the toursity areas he's going to aren't the urban communities. I live in LA it doesn't mean I go for a stroll through Compton or East LA every day. I lived in Chicago the bad areas are no where near downtown, in fact I never felt unsafe in the actual city. So unless he has some unexpected buisness on the far west side near Cermak, Austin, or down nears 79th I think you're okay.
Exactly. More than that, these areas are often geographically isolated such that it would actually be difficult for a tourist to find them. For example West Cermak area is blocked in by the railroad tracks and Eisenhower expressway north and south, and various industry between it and the city. No CTA train access at all. There's really no reason for someone from out of town to be close to this far West or South. I can't see most visitors ever going further than Western Ave. I only enter these neighborhoods when I have clients in the area or I'm trying to bypass traffic on 90/94.

I've lived here for 8 years and have never been in a situation where I felt unsafe - knock on wood.
Old 06-26-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are night games and will be the only safe place in Chicago at night.
DO NOT TAKE THE RED LINE TRAIN!!!!
Many muggings this year.
Take a cab there.
Go also to Division & Rush street which is downtown. It's a good meet market and safe to walk around.
Where to start?

It's as safe to walk around the Division and Rush area as it is to take the Red Line - i.e., as long as it's not 2 or 3 a.m. and there are plenty of people around you'll be just fine. And this is from someone who bikes instead of taking public transportation.

Places off the Red Line stops:

Grand - Navy Pier (if you must, it's just a tourist trap)

Chicago - Water Tower; also close to the lake (very scenic)

Division - the aforementioned Division and Rush area (also known as the Gold Coast neighborhood) location of a bajillion bars. You'll find a lot of stripey-shirted "brahs" in attendance.

Belmont - Just an interesting area period. My favorite dive bar of all time, the L & L is here.

Addison - Wrigley field; and, a few blocks to east, Boystown.

Lawrence - the Green Mill

Argyle - "Little Chinatown" (The bigger Chinatown is off the Cermak/Chinatown red line stop which is on the south side).
Old 06-26-12, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post

And don't listen to this advice. Any of the areas mentioned in this thread are perfectly safe during the day and evening. I expect you'll be pretty close to your hotel after 10 or 11.
Now what if I was to post the newspaper clippings of what I am talking about?
Wicker Park!!?
That's where that white girl student got beat up by a Puerto Rican man with a baseball bat. She now is living with her parents in another country. Post your laughing face now dude.
Read the online Chicago Sun-Times and Tribune on what's going on in Chicago.
Again I present the facts and I get members in DVDTALK mad.
But we are talking the safety of people's lives now.
Beware when the sun goes down in Chicago. The muggers come out.
Old 06-26-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steamworks is a really nice place to visit. Your daughter may not be welcome there though
Old 06-26-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to CNN the #1 thing to do in Chicago is try not to get killed
Old 06-26-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Post your laughing face now dude.
Not sure if sig-worthy...
Old 06-26-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you do just one thing, eat an Italian Beef sandwich. These are near impossible to find in any other U.S. City & are delicious.
Old 06-26-12, 05:53 PM

Wicker Park!!?
That's where that white girl student got beat up by a Puerto Rican man with a baseball bat. She now is living with her parents in another country. Post your laughing face now dude.
Dude, I've lived in Wicker Park/Bucktown for years. Hell, that Irish girl who was beaten/murdered (can't remember) a year ago in Bucktown happened under the freeway overpass not more than two blocks from my apt.

Yeah, muggings and stuff happen. We live in a big city with a high population density and millions of people. Still the chances of it happening to any single person are incredibly small if you exercise even the slightest bit of caution.

You make it sound like if you even set foot in Chicago at any time of day, it is guaranteed you'll be mugged and shot to death if you stay.

Do you drive a car? You're far more likely to die in your vehicle than you are to be mugged or murdered just walking down the street.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 06-26-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by modfather View Post
Any suggestions on things to do while we're there? None of us have ever been there, so open to ideas.
Visited Chicago for the first time in February, in the same hotel you're staying in, in fact.

Was only there for two nights and didn't have a car, but had a blast just walking through downtown, stumbling upon great restaurants, drinking and shopping.

Some advice:

Avoid Navy Pier. As Meglos mentioned, it's a tourist trap.

Millennium Park and the requisite photo ops with The Bean sculpture--and other installations--should be near atop your list. If you walk there, you'll probably see the Marilyn Monroe statue near the Tribune Building. Kitschy, but worth a look.

Pizza at Gino's East, breakfast at Yolk (probably the best I've ever had), and the Italian beef at Portillo's were food highlights of my trip. (In addition to the Wao Bao stand in the Water Tower Mall...crazy delicious.)

The Hancock Tower has the best view in Chicago.

Didn't get a chance to explore as much as I'd like, but when I return, Wrigley and the Field Museum are at the top of my must-see list.

This is a thread from a few month's back that proved useful when I was planning my trip:

What to see and do in Chicago

Last edited by TimeandTide; 06-26-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
This is sarcasm right?
My group had fun.
Old 06-26-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chicago VIII is my favorite

Old 06-26-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
According to CNN the #1 thing to do in Chicago is try not to get killed
So wm Lopez believes the same thing as the liberal media?

And how has no one asked for pics of Modfather's wife and 21 year old daughter yet? You're slipping, Otter.
Old 06-26-12, 08:23 PM
Suspended

Wicker Park!!?
That was an isolated incident and technically she was beat up in Bucktown not Wicker Park. Where do you live anyway something tells me its not a big city. Bad things happen all the time you're never 100% safe anywhere but that doesn't mean you have to live in constant fear, just be careful no matter where you are.
Old 06-26-12, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girlfriend and I got a Chicago Architecture Foundation membership last year, so we've been hitting up a number of walking / el tours on nice days. Their riverboat tours are fantastic but pricier and fill up very quickly.

http://www.architecture.org/page.aspx?pid=698
Old 06-26-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by modfather View Post
Hiya all.

My wife and I are heading to Chicago with our 21 year old daughter next week (will be there from the 2nd through 5th). Any suggestions on things to do while we're there? None of us have ever been there, so open to ideas.

We'll be busy on the 4th with a competition that we're in town for, but will have time on the 2nd and 3rd. We won't have a car, but I'm sure we won't need one. We're staying at the Sheraton, downtown.

Thanks!
Do you all have the same interests
Old 06-27-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't let wm lopez scare you about Chicago. He thinks a city of millions of people should have zero crime (at least on white people) to be considered safe. Be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Don't stumble home drunk alone at 3am.

There have been some good recommendations so far. He are a few I would recommend to first time visitors.

- Millenium Park/Grant Park - go see the bean and the fountains.
- Lincoln Park/North Ave Beach, this is a nice area to walk around and you get some great skyline views at various places along your walk (the very southern end of north ave beach along the water and the bridge overlooking south pond in lincoln park are both great views)
- The architecture boat tours are nice to get some history on all the different architectural styles in the city and to see a lot of the famous buildings.
- See if you can get tickets to an improv show at either Second City or iO.
- Have a drink at the Signature Room at the hancock tower to get some nice views of the city.

For food I would recommend
- Pequods for pizza.
- Franks N Dawgs for gourmet sausages. It's as good as Hot Doug's but easier to get to and the line is not crazy.
- Frontera Grill for mexican if you go for lunch and get there about 15-20 minutes before they open you should get a table.

For drinks
Beer - Go to the Local Option in Lincoln Park if you're into beer. Great selection of hard to find beers on tap.
Cocktails - Violet Hour in Wicker Park.

Last edited by Dr_Evil; 06-27-12 at 10:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.