DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   How often does your local movie theater clean their bathrooms? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/598169-how-often-does-your-local-movie-theater-clean-their-bathrooms.html)

Roybq 01-17-12 11:11 PM

How often does your local movie theater clean their bathrooms?

I thought it smelled like something died the last time that used a Cinemark bathroom. This could've been why.

http://www.komonews.com/news/nationa...137481293.html

Missing man found dead in theater restroom after 5 days

By Associated Press January 17, 2012
FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) - A man who was missing for five days was found dead in a locked movie theater restroom after workers noticed an odor and forced their way in, authorities said.

Police had searched the area around the Fort Collins theater after the family of George DeGrazio reported him missing on Jan. 9 and his vehicle was found nearby.

DeGrazio, 66, died of a heart attack, Deputy Coroner James MacNaughton told KMGH-TV of Denver.

The man's son, Dylan DeGrazio, told the station that he was upset that theater employees didn't find his father's body earlier.

"If I had the police department saying somebody disappeared in this area and we're trying to locate him, I would be searching every nook and cranny of my establishment," he said. "But that didn't happen."

A spokesman for Cinemark didn't immediately return a message left by The Associated Press. The company said in a statement Monday that it had placed five employees on administrative leave and was evaluating its opening and closing procedures to ensure a similar incident doesn't happen again.

"We are deeply troubled and concerned about these events, and we offer our most sincere condolences to the DeGrazio family for their loss,"' the company said. "Right now, there are more questions than answers."

My Other Self 01-17-12 11:13 PM

Re: How often does your local movie theater clean their bathrooms?

Dying while taking a shit. At least he went comfortable.

X 01-17-12 11:13 PM

That's 10 years and 5 days longer than I've been in a movie theater.

Mr. Salty 01-17-12 11:28 PM

Maybe he went to see "New Year's Eve" and hanged himself.

kgrogers1979 01-17-12 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11080301)

Unless he was constipated. Maybe he was straining to poo so hard that his heart gave out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XWZVoFbZbU8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

foxdvd 01-17-12 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 11080321)
Maybe he went to see "New Year's Eve" and hanged himself.

Don't Be Cruel....is it Too Much to ask dvdtalk for One Night to lay off the jokes? Don't you think the family is All shook up over this? You all seem to have Wooden Hearts sometimes....sheesh...guy dies on the toilet and you make jokes...

Superboy 01-18-12 01:57 AM

I used to work in a movie theater.

They almost never clean the bathrooms. It's just too much trouble. When you have hundreds of people getting out of a movie at once, all running for the restroom... there's no point.

DonnachaOne 01-18-12 02:47 AM

I run a movie theatre and I make sure they're checked every fifteen minutes at least. There's no reason not to. Five days!?

adrenaline78 01-18-12 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 11080402)

They almost never clean the bathrooms. It's just too much trouble. When you have hundreds of people getting out of a movie at once, all running for the restroom... there's no point.

So it's a 24/7 theater?

I never use the restrooms at the theater, so i don't know if they clean it or not.

CRM114 01-18-12 08:40 AM

My biggest retail pet peeve is not cleaning the bathrooms. There is absolutely no reason for it except complete negligence and laziness. It reflects on the business an image of filth and lack of concern for details.

FunkDaddy J 01-18-12 08:48 AM

This happened literally a mile from my house. It's my favorite theater. I've passed that family bathroom many times--in fact, I'm 90% sure I passed it while this poor guy was dead inside.

I used to manage a movie theater. You can bet if the police had come to me saying a missing man's vehicle was found in my parking lot, I would have searched that theater from top to bottom. And a locked bathroom? That's a warning sign of something. Someone is in there.

Horrible story.

Mrs. Danger 01-18-12 09:51 AM

aha! A new place to hide bodies!

Under motel platform beds is still good, though.

TomOpus 01-18-12 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 11080402)

If only 10 people used the bathroom, there'd be no point. But hundreds using it would be point of cleaning it often. Your theater manager should've been fired.

CRM114 01-18-12 10:03 AM

Of course there's a point. Having worked in retail decades ago, it all comes down to the manager's willingness to demand his employees clean the bathroom and the employees willingness to do it. It seems both of those things have long gone by the wayside since everyone is above that type of thing what with Youtube super stardom right around the corner.

Mrs. Danger 01-18-12 10:07 AM

Last time I used a movie theater restroom, it was quite clean. Not that I did a full inspection or anything... but it was certainly cleaner than a lot of restaurant bathrooms I've seen.

Rex Fenestrarum 01-18-12 10:46 AM

Yeah, I recently "switched" cinemas. Although the one closest to me is owned by one of the big chains now, I think it was built by Crappy Cinemas, Inc. The screens are old, the seats are "tired" and the floor is always super sticky. More to the point, the restrooms were AWFUL, like a north Florida truck stop.

My "new" cinema is much, much better. Not only is the place newer, better and cleaner, but the employees are friendly and happy (think Trader Joes employees vs. regular grocery store employees). And the restrooms are spotless! No dead people anywhere!

spainlinx0 01-18-12 10:50 AM

Most retail establishments I go to have pretty clean bathrooms. It seems like offices are worse culprits nowadays.

Bacon 01-18-12 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11080301)

This Elvis impersonating has been played out

wsox2009 01-19-12 03:46 AM

He missed the whole movie.

rexinnih 01-19-12 09:50 AM

Will they at least refund his ticket price to his estate?

TomOpus 01-19-12 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rexinnih (Post 11081894)
Will they at least refund his ticket price to his estate?

No but they got 10 coupons for a free small popcorn (with the purchase of a large drink and hot dog).

SubZeri 01-19-12 01:32 PM

Working for General Cinema in 1992, I saw alot of bathroom horror up close and personal. Once, I got to clean up after a lady who mistook what you and I would call a "concession stand" for a "public toilet". After delivering a generous payload right then and there, she proceded to then step in it and trail it across the lobby carpet into the restroom while making a scene about it trying to blame it on someone else.

Good ol' GC, where else can you have that kind of fun working for $3.50/hr on a Saturday night?

TomOpus 01-19-12 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by SubZeri (Post 11082179)
Working for General Cinema in 1992, I saw alot of bathroom horror up close and personal. Once, I got to clean up after a lady who mistook what you and I would call a "concession stand" for a "public toilet". After delivering a generous payload right then and there, she proceded to then step in it and trail it across the lobby carpet into the restroom while making a scene about it trying to blame it on someone else.

Good ol' GC, where else can you have that kind of fun working for $3.50/hr on a Saturday night?

Ohmygod...

LiquidSky 01-19-12 02:22 PM

When I worked at a theater, we checked every 2 hours.

islandclaws 01-19-12 02:35 PM

When I worked in a theater, we went out back and smoked pot every 2 hours.