Reload this Page >

Halloween Costume Talk 2011

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-10-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming up with a kick ass Halloween costume sometimes causes me to wake up in nervous sweats. Thankfully after writing the following blog post, I have reached my conclusion.

http://www.breakmentaldown.com/2011/...mes-gives.html

Coming up with Halloween costumes gives an awful fright
Ug from Salute Your Shorts. Arrested Development's Mr. Banana Grabber. Heart from Captain Planet. Flying Spaghetti Monster. Motherfucking snakes on a motherfucking plane. Trotter, the Upright Citizen's Brigade member with a poo stick. Preparation H Raymond. Evil Dead's Ash.

If this sounds like the greatest mash ever, you're just about right. But to the best of my knowledge, they have never gotten together to party, let alone mash. What they have done is served as my Halloween costumes for the past seven years. And as a result, they've raised colossal expectations for my costume this year. I do not know if I can meet them, since I have no idea what I'm going to be.

Many people take the easy route. They purchase a reasonable approximation of a licensed character. But this costume doesn't actually make a person look like the character, but like someone who purchased a reasonable approximation of said character. They usually spend $30-$15789032 on said approximations.

Random aside, as an employee at Target, one guy came into the store on October 30th and asked where the costumes were. The thing is, he looked exactly like Jon Gosselin. I didn't want to tell him where the costumes were, I wanted to tell him that nature had put him an Ed Hardy shirt and an annoying kid (Aaden) away from a perfect costume. I only shied away from this, because there existed the outside chance that it actually was Jon Gosselin. And then I'd feel like and idiot. And for Jon Gosselin to make someone else feel like an idiot would be too much for me to handle.
Not captured in this picture is the
totally sweet tail fin I created.

I always keep my costs under that $30 mark by shopping at thrift stores, going to the ghettos of K-Mart and using real sticks to construct my poo-sticks. These cost cutting measures result in cheap and amazing outfits.

It would be so much easier if I were a girl. I could always be “Sexy (Fill in the blank).” And anything can go into the blank! Like Sexy Caterpillar, Sexy Boutros Boutros-Ghali or Sexy Birdo from Super Mario Brothers 2. But my maledom prevents this from occurring.

My goal for costume creation is to have roughly three percent of people understand it, but from those three percent, 110 percent will fervently love it. I'll never forget someone wanting to shake my hand because of the Snakes on a Plane outfit or someone seeing Preparation H Raymond from behind (big ears and a burlap sack) and demanding a tube.

Currently I'm considering several options for my Halloween costume. But each one presents its own issues. Odds are, I will not go with any of these, but merely thinking of them will guide me along in the process.

Leonard Selby from “Memento”: The tattooed amnesiac with a heart for vengeance seems like a perfect costume. So great, in fact, I actually suggested my brother go as this one last year. When he didn't, it immediately moved to number one on my costume list. The initial thing holding me back is it would require dying my hair bleach blond, and then I'd look like a douche. Things became even worse when I actually watched the movie and realized Leonard has no facial or hand tattoos. If I want the Memento effect to come across, I'd have to be half naked. And October is too cold to be half naked.

Kevin McCallister from Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. Another early front runner. I always thought I could have played Kevin in the original movies, mainly because my name IS Kevin, and I wouldn't have had to learn how to respond when people called to me. All I would need is a red sweater, and the costume makes itself. But again, that blond hair issue comes into play—I'm not dying my hair.

Masturbating Bear: A great idea, but do you realize how much the combination of a bear costume and a band to play “The Sabre Dance” costs? Prohibitively expensive.

Character from Rejected: Anyone who has ever seen Don Hertzfeldt's “Rejected” will remember it features the greatest scene of anal bleeding to ever occur on film. And that will pave the way for the greatest costume about anal bleeding as well.

Come to think of it, I literally cannot reject that last one. All I need is a white sweatshirt, a sharpy and a whole lot of blood, and the costume is made.
That's right, I'm being the anal bleed character from Rejected. For those that don't know

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6M17aG_Po2Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What is everyone else coming up with?
Old 10-10-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Halloween Costume Talk 2011

Andy Samberg's Dick in a Box guy from SNL
Old 10-10-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swedish chef or tourettes guy
Old 10-10-11, 12:49 PM

Just be careful where you sit that night! Wouldn't want to ruin anyone's couch.

My wife and I always try to come up with couple's costumes. Last year we were garden gnomes.

This year I think we are going to be Willy Wonka and an Oompa Loompa, both from the Gene Wilder version of the movie... now I just have to find a purple crushed velvet coat and a brown suede top-hat.

Our other option was Shaggy and Velma from Scooby Doo.
Old 10-10-11, 01:00 PM

White turtleneck + a little makeup = Ghost of Steve Jobs
Old 10-10-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

These masks of Uncle Frank from "Hellraiser" look pretty awesome...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6P_FJRduLYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately, I doubt I could fit it over my giant head.
Old 10-10-11, 01:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Frank The Bunny...
Old 10-10-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Were I to dress up for Halloween it would be as a Juggalo.
Old 10-10-11, 03:25 PM

I imagine there are actually going to be a lot of ghost/zombie Steve Jobs costumes. It will be the uncreative "creative" choice.
Old 10-10-11, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wazootyman View Post
I imagine there are actually going to be a lot of ghost/zombie Steve Jobs costumes. It will be the uncreative "creative" choice.
Hmm...I might switch to the "Ghost of Obama's Jobs Bill" instead.
Old 10-10-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dr Clayton Forrester
Old 10-10-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

every year, I read that year's version of this thread, hoping to find inspiration. Every year I am disappointed.

Come on Otter, surprise me!
Old 10-10-11, 04:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Mary Poppins and Sweep!
Old 10-10-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Haven't decided yet. So far on the list is either an early 80's Bronx mummy (so, a mummy costume with high-tops, boom box, gold chains) or an AT-ST walker. The latter requires more work, so I will probably not do it.
Old 10-10-11, 04:29 PM

For couples:

Aron Ralston and Boulder
Old 10-10-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Hmm...I might switch to the "Ghost of Obama's Jobs Bill" instead.
How about a health care budget zombie?
Old 10-10-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
For couples:

Aron Ralston and Boulder
I proposed I be Indiana Jones and my pregnant wife be a boulder. She wasn't crazy about that suggestion.
Old 10-10-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My wife is making our costumes this year. I'm going as an Almond Joy bar and she's going as a Mounds bar.
Old 10-10-11, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I proposed I be Indiana Jones and my pregnant wife be a boulder. She wasn't crazy about that suggestion.
As I said in the thread last year, we were on the street and encountered the boulder. We asked him what he was supposed to be. He says "one sec" and walks away. A couple seconds later, Indy comes bursting down the street with boulder hot on his heels. Indy also gave out Twister licorice whips
Old 10-10-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-10-11, 10:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 10-10-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
That's not a Halloween costume, that's a humane alternative to having dog neutered.
Old 10-11-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-11-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd love to see some girls dressed up as Khaleesi. Just powder up some ash on the face, stick some plastic dragons on your shoulders and you're good to go.
Old 10-12-11, 12:25 AM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.