Reload this Page >

Waiter touching your straw?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-24-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to dinner tonight with my wife at Ruby Tuesdays. The waiter was doing a good job, we didn't wait at all to order, he noticed we needed biscuits right away etc. I drink a lot of soda at dinner, and the waiter never made me wait and always had a backup before I was dry.

My wife drinks much slower than I do, and usually only has one refill. The waiter brought us both a refill at the same time, he put mine on the table and then my wifes. I don't use a straw so he took my glass away, but then he took my wife's straw out of her old glass and put it in the new glass. We both noticed it right away, and I slid my wife my unused straw.

Is that a normal practice? I don't think I have seen that before.
Old 09-24-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Waiter touching your straw?

sounds like the waiter was being too helpful.

Never had it happen, but if it did I'd probably make a face and laugh about it, letting him or her know I found it odd. I'd get a new straw but not make a huge deal out of it.

Now, the waiter bringing the glass back with their finger in the glass, that's another issue.
Old 09-24-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did he grab it at the end one would drink out of? If not, why the big deal. He probably touched your plate too. And someone touched your silverware.
Old 09-24-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was making a pass at your wife.
Old 09-24-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-24-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
Went to dinner tonight with my wife at Ruby Tuesdays. The waiter was doing a good job, we didn't wait at all to order, he noticed we needed biscuits right away etc. I drink a lot of soda at dinner, and the waiter never made me wait and always had a backup before I was dry.

My wife drinks much slower than I do, and usually only has one refill. The waiter brought us both a refill at the same time, he put mine on the table and then my wifes. I don't use a straw so he took my glass away, but then he took my wife's straw out of her old glass and put it in the new glass. We both noticed it right away, and I slid my wife my unused straw.

Is that a normal practice? I don't think I have seen that before.
Was this a 5-Star restaurant you were at? Just curious. And serious.

A drinking straw is a phallus symbol. Your wife was sucking on that phallus symbol and swallowing the fluid that came through it. The waiter saw this, became aroused, and touched your wife's straw. The symbolism is obvious. The waiter wanted to touch your dick.
DVD Talk Legend

I would have asked to speak to the manager and demanded they comp the meal and request that they terminate the waiter.
Old 09-24-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
Now, the waiter bringing the glass back with their finger in the glass, that's another issue.

Recalling a hilarious Letterman sketch where they had a hidden camera/microphone set up and had a waiter do as you described.
Old 09-25-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Was this a 5-Star restaurant you were at? Just curious. And serious.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or just have the inability to read the 1st sentence of his post.
Old 09-25-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
A drinking straw is a phallus symbol. Your wife was sucking on that phallus symbol and swallowing the fluid that came through it. The waiter saw this, became aroused, and touched your wife's straw. The symbolism is obvious. The waiter wanted to touch your dick.

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or just have the inability to read the 1st sentence of his post.
There could be a 5-star restaurant named Ruby Tuesday's. There could be.

Seriously, does this bother you or did you just think it was peculiar for the waiter to transfer the straw? I'm not sure why people get uptight about that. You're at a restaurant. There are germs everywhere. But I can see why some places leave the tip of the paper that covers the straw.
Old 09-25-11, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

trust me, much worse happens to the food you eat and the plates/cups/utensils/etc that you use.

I would agree that I would not want the waiter to touch my straw right in front of me like that (out of sight out of mind) but it happens.

The thing that I think is more gross is when a waiter TAKES YOUR GLASS away from table, refills it and brings it back.

I regularly eat lunch with the same friends, and almost every time a waiter has taken more than 1 glass from the table, refilled and brought it back, they did NOT give us back our original glass (or a new glass). They swapped the glasses between us.

Since I USUALLY know the people I eat with fairly well, as long as none of us our sick, it isn't a big deal. There have been several times I have had a cold and someone else got my glass (we mark them since this is a regular occurrence and it gives us something to do)

Heads up wait staff - fill the glasses at the table via pitcher or something **OR** bring a new fucking glass, and yes, don't put your nasty fingers on my straw where I can see it

The $$ to $$$ value of the meal/restaurant generally has little to do with them being clean and following all best practices. It's only when you get up to the $$$$ to $$$$$ value do they make 100% sure to hide all the questionable stuff from you under every circumstance
Old 09-25-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The real question is why anyone would voluntarily eat at Ruby Tuesdays. Granted, I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general, but that place is absolute garbage...
Old 09-25-11, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
The thing that I think is more gross is when a waiter TAKES YOUR GLASS away from table, refills it and brings it back.
I hate when this happens. I never used to think much about this practice until one time the waiter brought my glass back and the straw tasted salty.
Old 09-25-11, 08:25 AM
Banned

trust me, much worse happens to the food you eat and the plates/cups/utensils/etc that you use.

This.

Having worked at three different restaurants in my lifetime, I have plenty of horror stories about what goes on in the kitchen. If a waiter touching your straw grosses you out, then you should never eat out period. Far worse goes on in the kitchen.

But I guess ignorance is bliss. What you don't know won't hurt you.
Old 09-25-11, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Recalling a hilarious Letterman sketch where they had a hidden camera/microphone set up and had a waiter do as you described.
Glad someone else got that too. That's instantly what I thought when I read the OP.

Hilarious stuff, that.
Old 09-25-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm forced to go to Russian restaraunts with family and the one nice thing is they replace your glasses and plates like 5 times during the meal
Old 09-26-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would agree that I would not want the waiter to touch my straw right in front of me like that (out of sight out of mind) but it happens.

I regularly eat lunch with the same friends, and almost every time a waiter has taken more than 1 glass from the table, refilled and brought it back, they did NOT give us back our original glass (or a new glass). They swapped the glasses between us.

Since I USUALLY know the people I eat with fairly well, as long as none of us our sick, it isn't a big deal. There have been several times I have had a cold and someone else got my glass (we mark them since this is a regular occurrence and it gives us something to do)

Heads up wait staff - fill the glasses at the table via pitcher or something **OR** bring a new fucking glass, and yes, don't put your nasty fingers on my straw where I can see it
We (usually close friends) go to eat at this place that does the same thing. I never use a straw so I feel a bit safer but the waiter/ess takes 3-4 glasses and brings them back refilled. how do they know who's is which? just bring me back a new glass and take the one in the table after you have brought the refill.
Old 09-26-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One thing I can't stand: when you're at lunch w/ friend or work colleague and the waiter/ress takes both glasses away, refills them, and brings them back. Drives me nuts.
I've now learned to take my straw out of the glass before they take it away.

Rudy Tuesdays: a couple of years ago, we were traveling along 85 and stopped at one in Virginia. Prime dinner time. I watched a waiter/busboy spray windex on the glass (BOTH SIDES) of the salad bar ... It was FILLED w/ food.
I mentioned something to our waitress and either she didn't understand English or she honestly thought it was no big deal. I got a deer in the headlights look.
Old 09-26-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always ask for a pitcher of water when I'm in a restaurant. I drink a lot of water and I don't want the waiter getting annoyed with me. "What are you, a camel?"
Old 09-26-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't really care too much about things like that. Mostly because I have a functioning immune system.
Old 09-26-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I don't really care too much about things like that. Mostly because I have a functioning immune system.
Great! Next time I have strep throat, you can borrow my straw!
Old 09-26-11, 03:58 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Just imagine if he pooped and didn't wash his hands before touching your straw!
Old 09-26-11, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly View Post
Just imagine if he pooped and didn't wash his hands before touching your straw!
You might be surprised how many people working in the kitchen don't actually wash their hands or use gloves for that matter.
Old 09-26-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
The real question is why anyone would voluntarily eat at Ruby Tuesdays. Granted, I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general, but that place is absolute garbage...
There really is only one reason: salad bar. They are about the only major chain left that bothers to have one, and a pretty decent one at that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.