Reload this Page >

Is this a muck?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Is this a muck?

Old 09-23-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a muck?

So I'm playing this $11 friendly at the bar Wednesday and we're down to the final 4. I'm in a hand with a guy and we end up playing through the river. I show my hand and he show the winning hand but does so by flipping them face up into the muck. I called BS and said he mucked his hand. The guy running it (not a pro by any means) said the mucker won, I got tilty after that and got knocked out 2 hands later and made money but have been pissed about it ever since. So fellow players, which one of us were right?
Old 09-23-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Is this a muck?

If the cards were face up and there was no dispute that they were his, then they're not mucked and he's the winner.
Old 09-23-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, it's not a muck. He was showing his hand.

Key word also: 'friendly.'

If he threw them away face down, then saw your hand, and then flipped them, then you might have a case.
Old 09-23-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, if he exposes his cards and is shown to be the winner, i don't think it really matters where he throws them.
Old 09-23-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I said friendly, that's kind of code for a bunch of drunks at the bar. I'd never met the guy before.

Thnks for the info, I was under the impression that any card that touched the muck were out of play,
Old 09-24-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blame the dealer more. The muck shouldn't be in any location where it's that easy to toss your cards on top of it.
Old 09-25-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
When I said friendly, that's kind of code for a bunch of drunks at the bar. I'd never met the guy before.
That's what I figured. The point is that you're not playing 15/30 NL at the Aria. You can be a little loose with the rules.
Old 09-26-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
So I'm playing this $11 friendly at the bar Wednesday and we're down to the final 4. I'm in a hand with a guy and we end up playing through the river. I show my hand and he show the winning hand but does so by flipping them face up into the muck. I called BS and said he mucked his hand. The guy running it (not a pro by any means) said the mucker won, I got tilty after that and got knocked out 2 hands later and made money but have been pissed about it ever since. So fellow players, which one of us were right?
as long as he didnt' say "fold" while doing it, any exposed hand on the table plays, regardless of where they end up

beyond that, from the way you tell the story it's clear he wasn't trying to fold. don't be "rules guy" and start flipping out about "they touched the muck!!", as "rules guy" is a great way to make the games completely unbearable for us normal minded individuals
Old 09-26-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I blame the dealer more. The muck shouldn't be in any location where it's that easy to toss your cards on top of it.
It's up to each player to protect their own cards. The muck has been in the same place on a poker table forever. All this moron had to do was take his two cards in front of him, flip them over in front of him, and then let the cards speak.

Unfortunately, there's too many people who like to get all theatrical and toss their cards down with force or across the table and it often ends up confusing the shit out of people and causing things like what happened to OP

at showdown -- just shut the fuck up and turn your cards over in front of you
Old 09-30-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
It's up to each player to protect their own cards. The muck has been in the same place on a poker table forever. All this moron had to do was take his two cards in front of him, flip them over in front of him, and then let the cards speak.

Unfortunately, there's too many people who like to get all theatrical and toss their cards down with force or across the table and it often ends up confusing the shit out of people and causing things like what happened to OP

at showdown -- just shut the fuck up and turn your cards over in front of you
I agree 100%. Most of the games I play in have a rotating deal. I take pride in keeping the dead cards away from all the players cards, placing the burn cards under the flop, turn, and river, and keeping the chips in order. I wish I could say the same for most of the other people.
Old 11-22-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't want any burn cards anywhere near the live cards in play. I've never seen anyone put burn cards under the flop, turn and river cards.