Reload this Page >

Plane Crash at Reno Air Show

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-17-11, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, it stands at 54 injured and 2-3 killed (depending on the report).

Reno, Nevada (CNN) -- "Mass casualties" were reported at an air show after a plane slammed into the box seat area in front of a grandstand at the National Championship Air Races and Air Show in Reno on Friday, a spokesman for the show told CNN.

At least two people died and 54 people were transported from the scene with injuries, according to officials.

The pilot, identified as Jimmy Leeward, a real estate developer from Ocala, Florida, was likely killed in the crash, the show said in a statement. He was flying a P-51 Mustang. The event has been canceled and a memorial service will be held for the pilot Saturday afternoon, the show said.

A Reno hospital said Friday night on its website that it had received a "total of 25 patients" after the plane crashed. It said two people, one male and one female, had died.

It was not immediately clear whether that figure counted the pilot.
Jimmy Leeward, pilot of the P-51 "Galloping Ghost" from Ocala, Florida, likely died in the crash.

The patients included twelve people in critical condition, meaning their vital signs are unstable "and not within normal limits," and 11 in fair condition, exhibiting stable vital signs, according to the 7:30 p.m. PT update on the Renown Regional Medical Center website.

The hospital also noted that four patients being treated at Renown South Medical Center were in fair condition.

Mike Houghton, president of the Reno Air Racing Association, told reporters that 54 people were transported from the scene with injuries.

Video of the crash, posted on YouTube, showed a plane plummeting from the sky, sending up clouds of dust and debris. Shocked spectators rose to their feet.

Fred Scholz, a witness, said he saw the plane seemingly "coming straight down."

"I thought he was coming right on top of us," he said, noting that the aircraft ultimately hit about 100 feet from him, in an area of box seats, filled with folding chairs.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/16/nev...ash/index.html

There is video of the crash, but you have to sign into YouTube to see it: http://youtu.be/Ybgd0EfxWCI
Old 09-17-11, 06:48 AM

Re: Plane Crash at Reno Air Show

Steve-O is working on a really Epic joke about this situation right now, But he's also working on his follow up public apology since we live in such politically correct times!
Old 09-17-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNtERSeYMUM
Old 09-17-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's weird that we keep hearing different estimates on how many deaths there were. i heard at one point, that there were up to 20 deaths. now that article says 2-3 deaths. crazy.
Old 09-17-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Last night I heard 12 deaths but could not find anything confirming that number.

If you notice, the number of deaths was coming from "one local hospital" which tells me the other hospitals have not released any numbers. I'm hoping the number doesn't go much higher.

Some of the videos of this crash have been hard to watch. Back in the 80's I was at an airshow and a stunt pilot crashed in full view. I have not been to an airshow since then.
Old 09-17-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another case where getting a front row seat is not necessarily a good thing.
Old 09-17-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3 people are confirmed dead at this juncture. Forget all the other casualty totals you're hearing about.
Shoddy reporting at best.
Old 09-17-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad. I wish the best for those in the hospital and the families all victims.
Old 09-17-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently 2 more have died which brings the total to 5 now.
Old 09-17-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone can get a plane crash out of that video, I give you a . I can't see shit with the camera going all over the place. All I saw was a bunch of white picnic chairs.
Old 09-17-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If anyone can get a plane crash out of that video, I give you a . I can't see shit with the camera going all over the place. All I saw was a bunch of white picnic chairs.
Are you joking? In the first link, you see the actual impact. In the second link - I know that the dude points it to the ground during the impact. But he's back up there within moments.

The idea that so many people have little portable video cameras now still amazes me. There's 5-7 videos out there already. Some show the crash better than others.
Old 09-17-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I only looked at the second link.
Old 09-17-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys do know that there is a difference between "casualties" and "deaths"?
Old 09-17-11, 03:43 PM

The only time I hear about air shows is when a plane crashes. Sorta like Nascar.
Old 09-17-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering... is there a difference between "casualties" and "death"?
Old 09-17-11, 04:14 PM
Banned

Depending on the journalist writing it...there isn't at times.
Old 09-17-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Death toll up to 9 now
Old 09-17-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertwoj View Post
The only time I hear about air shows is when a plane crashes. Sorta like Nascar.
What are planes doing on a Nascar track? It's no wonder they crash.
Old 09-17-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know two people that were there. Spoke with one this morning. One was fairly far away but another was only 50ft away from the impact. Luckily the debris sprayed the opposite direction or he would have been injured or worse. My friend said the plane was going over 400 mph and none of the remaining pieces of the plane was bigger than a cantaloupe.
Old 09-17-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's amazing how that plane simply shatters into almost nothing. I guess 400mph into concrete will do that. Looks to be a mechanical failure, there is a good picture out now of the trim tab coming off right before the crash:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lSf0Fc2zXI...Reno-crash.jpg

That happened a few years back also in another P-51, which caused the plane to snap climb at roughly 10G's, the pilot blacked out, and luckily the plane went generally straight up, and at about 9000 feet as the G's went away, he recovered and was able to land safely.
Old 09-18-11, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How can one go to an air show and not expect stuff like this to happen? It sees like safety is secondary to almost nonexistant at these shows. They always try to do these death defying stunts, many times in planes that have long outlasted their usefullness. This plane that crashed was almost 70 years old and the pilot was nearly 80. No matter how good a pilot is, there is little room for error with these stunts and the slightest hesitation by the pilot or malfunction in the mechanics of the plane can result in a disaster like this.
Old 09-18-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have never understand why people go to these things anyway. What surprises me even more is people act shocked when a plane crashes at one of these shows and takes out bystanders.
This is what happens sometimes at these things. It's the risk inherent in the show.

I think people should have to sign a release to go to these shows.
Old 09-18-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
I have never understand why people go to these things anyway. What surprises me even more is people act shocked when a plane crashes at one of these shows and takes out bystanders.
This is what happens sometimes at these things. It's the risk inherent in the show.

I think people should have toign a release to go to these shows.
I think part of thrill of going to these shows is that people get a rush from the risk of injury or death that can happen. Kindof like jumping out if an airplane, there always the chance that the shoot won't open or malfunction in someway, and people get a thrill out of risking their lives for that. Same as going on amusmement park rides, scuba diving in shark tanks, etc.
Old 09-18-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I think part of thrill of going to these shows is that people get a rush from the risk of injury or death that can happen.
Well, then they certainly got their money's worth at this particular show.
Old 09-18-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
How can one go to an air show and not expect stuff like this to happen? It sees like safety is secondary to almost nonexistant at these shows. They always try to do these death defying stunts, many times in planes that have long outlasted their usefullness. This plane that crashed was almost 70 years old and the pilot was nearly 80. No matter how good a pilot is, there is little room for error with these stunts and the slightest hesitation by the pilot or malfunction in the mechanics of the plane can result in a disaster like this.
Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post

I think people should have to sign a release to go to these shows.
It's simply NASCAR for aviation buffs. No one would give two shits for NASCAR if there were no wrecks. That's what people want to see. They don't want people to die but they want them to risk their lives.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.