Local news *sigh* bad cop behavior

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-15-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_18818776

LAS CRUCES - A Las Cruces woman has been charged $1,122 by a local hospital for a forcible body cavity search ordered by the Metro Narcotics Agency that did not turn up any illegal substances.

She is now asking the county to pay her hospital bill.

The woman, who is not being named because she was not arrested or criminally charged, was searched at Memorial Medical Center on July 1, according to a tort claim notice Las Cruces attorney Michael Lilley served to the county this week.

The woman is refusing to pay the $1,122 she was subsequently billed for the body cavity search, the tort claim notice shows.

Metro Sgt. Mike Alba said agents had "credible information from a reliable source" that the woman was concealing up to an ounce of heroin, leading to the search warrant from Magistrate Court. The woman, who has no criminal history in New Mexico, was in custody for several hours.

In his letter, Lilley calls the search "unlawful" and is asking Metro to pay the bill.

The county has a policy of not commenting on threatened or pending litigation.

Ashley Meeks can be reached at (575) 541-5462
How much would that mess up your day?
Old 09-15-11, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Local news *sigh* bad cop behavior

Not sure who that is or what it has to do with the story, but hell I'll call if it means "a good time".
Old 09-15-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-15-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That sucks. I can't believe they make the victims, er suspects, pay for these kind of things.
Old 09-15-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course they should pay. It's their fault for wasting the police's time when they could be doing something else more important. This woman probably broke the law, or at least did something suspicious, and she's probably poor to boot, so social parasites like her shouldn't be allowed to get a free ride on the latex glove rollercoaster.

It's as if some members of this forum have a problem with authority or something. The only part of the executive branch that has too much power and is totally out of line is the IRS. Everyone else is just doing their job, kiddo.
Old 09-15-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1,122 bucks? Shoot, I know a guy who will do that sort of thing for free, in fact he may pay You!
Well, I don't know why I'm going on about this you can get in touch with him on here just PM Mhg83 he'll have details.
Old 09-15-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty sad that we've gotten to the point when "credible information from a reliable source" is enough to trigger (no doubt rubber-stamped) a warrant to search body cavities.
Old 09-15-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Screw her. If she was someone important, then I'm sure the police wouldn't have done that to her. Pay your bills, you fucking deadbeat. People need to shut and learn their place.
Old 09-15-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It's pretty sad that we've gotten to the point when "credible information from a reliable source" is enough to trigger (no doubt rubber-stamped) a warrant to search body cavities.
You noticed that did you?
Old 09-15-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's like in Gilliam's Brazil...Information Retrieval Charges. You pay for the cost of your arrest, confinment, and torture.

If they had found something in her ass would the police have paid the bill?
Old 09-15-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad for her. i know a cop who would have done it for free.

Old 09-15-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Follow up:

Metro Narcotics foots bill for forced body cavity search (5:05 p.m.)By Ashley Meeks / [email protected]
Posted: 09/07/2011 05:04:42 PM MDT

LAS CRUCES - The law enforcement agency that ordered a forcible body search on a Las Cruces woman suspected of holding drugs has paid her hospital bill.
The 19-year-old woman, who received a $1,122 bill from a local hospital for the body cavity search, asked the county to pay the bill in a tort claim notice filed last week by Las Cruces attorney Michael Lilley.

The search did not turn up any illegal substances.

The Metro Narcotics Agency has paid the bill, Lilley learned Tuesday afternoon.

"We're pleased," Lilley said Wednesday. "It's the right thing to do and they did it and we're pleased."

The woman, who is not being named because she was not arrested or criminally charged, was searched at Memorial Medical Center on July 1 after being stopped on Interstate 10, allegedly returning from Mexico, said Deputy District Attorney James Dickens.

Metro Narcotics agents had "very specific" information that the woman was concealing up to an ounce of heroin, leading to Magistrate Judge Oscar Frietze signing off on a search warrant, Dickens said.

"The information was very specific, that she was involved in obtaining heroin from Mexico and was going to come back across the border and the method of bringing it into the country, secreting it into the country, was body-packing," Dickens said. "And so that's why, obviously, they focused on doing a body search."

The informant provided authorities with the woman's license plate and the hour she was returning to

the country, Dickens said. In addition, her two male passengers admitted to recent drug use, he said.
"The officer found some aluminum foil in the vehicle, typically used to burn heroin, and the two males did advise that they had just been smoking heroin that the girl bought, using that foil," Dickens said.

The woman, who has no criminal history in New Mexico, was in custody until after midnight, July 2, her hospital bill shows.

"We certainly make every effort to screen all of our search warrants diligently," Dickens said. "All of the officers are very diligent in their job, in cases where they believe and have probable cause to believe that controlled substances will be located."

Old 09-15-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Screw her. If she was someone important, then I'm sure the police wouldn't have done that to her. Pay your bills, you fucking deadbeat. People need to shut and learn their place.
Seriously. if this "Ashley Meeks" were any kind of reporter she would have told that damn dirty hippie to get job and stop jawin over someone peeking in her hoo hah.
Old 09-15-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
Seriously. if this "Ashley Meeks" were any kind of reporter she would have told that damn dirty hippie to get job and stop jawin over someone peeking in her hoo hah.
What do snacks distributed by Hostess have anything to do with this!?!?!!?
Old 09-15-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
What do snacks distributed by Hostess have anything to do with this!?!?!!?
Twinkie, Ding Dong, Ho-Ho. There's a dirty joke in there somewhere.
Old 09-15-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Twinkie, Ding Dong, Ho-Ho. There's a dirty joke in there somewhere.
Don't forget Little Debbie.
Old 09-15-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

*Ding*

So if I make an anonymous tip, the person I'm mad at gets a body cavity search and gets billed for it? Suh-weet!
Old 09-15-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
We haven't gotten to that point. We've always been at that point.

Considering the response from the PD below and assuming they are being truthful (and we have no reason to think they were not), that is more than sufficient for a search warrant.

Billing the woman for the procedure is obviously inappropriate.
Old 09-15-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
*Ding*

So if I make an anonymous tip, the person I'm mad at gets a body cavity search and gets billed for it? Suh-weet!
Anonymous tip != "Reliable source"

Call in a few good tips first and then call in the bad tip on the person you are mad at.
Old 09-15-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
*Ding*

Yep. Not only does the accuser his/her his rocks off, but the victim gets the attention he/she has craved. Everyone's a winner.
Old 09-15-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems to me an X-ray would have been cheaper and less invasive. Not as much fun, though.
Old 09-16-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Old 09-16-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Seems to me an X-ray would have been cheaper and less invasive. Not as much fun, though.
I would strongly suspect that at least an x-ray and probably other forms of electronic examination were conducted along with the physical body cavity search. It probably just wasn't mentioned in the article.

Alas, x-rays to find swallowed or inserted baggies are not nearly 100% effective. CT scans are better, so I understand.
Old 09-16-11, 11:05 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

This is a rare case, they paid because of the bad press.

In normal instances, who do you think pays to fix damages when they kick in the door on a raid and find nothing?

You.
Old 09-16-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
This is a rare case, they paid because of the bad press.

In normal instances, who do you think pays to fix damages when they kick in the door on a raid and find nothing?

You.
I have no experience with the outcome of lawsuits that I am sure spring up more often than not when something like this happens, but this doesn't pass the smell test with me. Is there case law that favors the police department sticking the homeowner with the bill under circumstances like this?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.