Reload this Page >

I think my girlfriend might be racist.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 08-25-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

We've been dating on-&-off for a couple months now, but this last month has been more exclusive, getting more "serious", I suppose. Anyways, we've been getting along better and better, and she's getting increasingly comfortable around me. She's pretty hot (looks like a slightly older Blake Lively) she's really fun, up for most anything and we click pretty well. But with her increased comfort around me come certain comments that leave me a bit perplexed. She'll casually drop the N-word, or mention how she doesn't like how "Mexicans" crowd the beach on holidays, or how rude "Asians" can be, and other such zingers.

Of course I call her out on it and tell her, point blank, that these sorts of comments are messed up and pretty racist, and she'll come back with how she has nothing against a race in and of itself, but how she's commenting more on certain elements within that race's predominate culture that she doesn't approve of. Slippery slope of an excuse, but I buy it so we can get back to making out...

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-11, 12:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: I think my girlfriend might be racist.

As long as she doesn't criticize Obama in any way, I think you're okay.
Old 08-25-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I don't pay you to talk!" Problem solved...
Old 08-25-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

Kill her.

Then decapitate the body, put the head on a stick in your basement, and dismember the rest of her, scattering the pieces in random ghetto neighborhoods.

It's the only way.

Old 08-25-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude I like her, She's a keeper! I got the best Christmas present for her:

Spoiler:
Old 08-25-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
We've been dating on-&-off for a couple months now, but this last month has been more exclusive, getting more "serious", I suppose. Anyways, we've been getting along better and better, and she's getting increasingly comfortable around me. She's pretty hot (looks like a slightly older Blake Lively) she's really fun, up for most anything and we click pretty well. But with her increased comfort around me come certain comments that leave me a bit perplexed. She'll casually drop the N-word, or mention how she doesn't like how "Mexicans" crowd the beach on holidays, or how rude "Asians" can be, and other such zingers.

Of course I call her out on it and tell her, point blank, that these sorts of comments are messed up and pretty racist, and she'll come back with how she has nothing against a race in and of itself, but how she's commenting more on certain elements within that race's predominate culture that she doesn't approve of. Slippery slope of an excuse, but I buy it so we can get back to making out...

Thoughts?
That should be enough to tell you right there...
Old 08-25-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First, pretend like you have some black friends.

Second, invite her to a party and tell her a whole bunch of black people will be there.

If she gets overly excited, you have a problem. If she looks nervous, you have a problem. If she's totally cool with it and it doesn't seem like a big deal, tell her you're just kidding, you don't have any black friends. If she is overly disappointed, you have a problem. If she is overly relieved, you have a problem.

Works. Every. Time.
Old 08-25-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mdOsvUaXvi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LARRY DAVID: Let me tell you something, the penis doesn’t care about race, creed and color. The penis wants to get to it’s homeland. It wants to go home!
Old 08-25-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Life's too short. Dump her and move on. You're already not in it anymore if you're asking us about it, so cut her loose now and find someone else.
Old 08-25-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
She'll casually drop the N-word
Casually? Break up with her. Anyone that doesn't use it seriously and on a regular basis doesn't deserve a nice boyfriend.
Old 08-25-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
(looks like a slightly older Blake Lively)
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
Life's too short. Dump her and move on. You're already not in it anymore if you're asking us about it, so cut her loose now and find someone else.
...and send her my way.
Old 08-25-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Suggest a threesome with a hot black, Mexican or Asian chick. If she's not down for it, racist.
Old 08-25-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised it's taken 10 posts for someone to explain that before we can offer a sober, nuanced, reflective opinion on the subtle yet profound moral and ethical elements of this situation, we would need pictures of this young woman.
Old 08-25-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

He said she looks like an older Blake Lively. I just aged her 30 years and went with that. No picture needed.
Old 08-25-11, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Like women's anatomy, a relationship only goes down from here on out. These comments may annoy you just a tad for the time being, imagine going 10x worst as your relationship progress.

Although if she's complaining how Asians talk on the cellphone in libraries and then party late at the laundry room, you can't fault her for that. She actually deserve extra bonus sex for getting it dead on.
Old 08-25-11, 12:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I'm surprised it's taken 10 posts for someone to explain that before we can offer a sober, nuanced, reflective opinion on the subtle yet profound moral and ethical elements of this situation, we would need pictures of this young woman.
Finally, someone with a modicum of intelligence and common sense speaks out! Indeed, we require photographic evidence to examine prior to rendering judgment.
Old 08-25-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tJ5hXwo4De0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-25-11, 12:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I <3 Stephen Lynch.
Old 08-25-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey, at least she's honest. I would prefer a "racist" like this to some undercover Racist. Frankly, how racist can she be? She's Fucking YOU right?

This is Simple.

Keep hitting it til you're tired of hitting it and move on. PUSSY IS PUSSY. I'd fuck a racist bitch, no problem. I don't owe any race any allegiance when it comes to my dick getting served. I have a feeling you're thinking is the same because if it was REALLY an issue...YOU WOULDA DUMPED HER AFTER THE FIRST, OR MAYBE EVEN THE SECOND RACIST COMMENT.
Old 08-25-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

My friend and I have agreed that the only time the n-word is acceptable is when it is preceeded by "Fuck your couch..."
Old 08-25-11, 01:00 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

"My girlfriend looks like a slightly older Blake Lively. That is the one who did Pink Panther, right?"
Old 08-25-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

where is the obligatory that's racist .gif?
Old 08-25-11, 01:13 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
First, pretend like you have some black friends.

Second, invite her to a party and tell her a whole bunch of black people will be there.

If she gets overly excited, you have a problem. If she looks nervous, you have a problem. If she's totally cool with it and it doesn't seem like a big deal, tell her you're just kidding, you don't have any black friends. If she is overly disappointed, you have a problem. If she is overly relieved, you have a problem.

Works. Every. Time.
I think we need a flow chart for that plan.
Old 08-25-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I know full well this won't last. And while we bust each other's balls all the time, we haven't gotten into a real fight, yet. I guess when we do, which is inevitable, I can use that as an excuse to break up. Until then, I'll continue to have fun with her.

The most surprising thing is that she's well-educated, well-traveled and comes from a good family that is all of those things as well; not at all someone I would've pegged as an ignorant racist. And to be fair, she's never treated minorities with any sort of disdain in person... shit, now I'm just making excuses. It's funny how a boner and a good time will make you excuse things that you would otherwise find reprehensible. Did I mention that she's really hot and a lot of fun?
Old 08-25-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Hey, at least she's honest. I would prefer a "racist" like this to some undercover Racist. Frankly, how racist can she be? She's Fucking YOU right?

This is Simple.

Keep hitting it til you're tired of hitting it and move on. PUSSY IS PUSSY. I'd fuck a racist bitch, no problem. I don't owe any race any allegiance when it comes to my dick getting served. I have a feeling you're thinking is the same because if it was REALLY an issue...YOU WOULDA DUMPED HER AFTER THE FIRST, OR MAYBE EVEN THE SECOND RACIST COMMENT.
Always listen to the black dude.

That's exactly what I would say too. It sounds like you don't like the fact that she uses those words, so more than likely the two of you won't be a longterm item. However, it didn't bother you enough to dump her on the spot.

Keep dating and banging her for as long as you're into her and once you get sick of her, end it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.