Other Talk "Otterville"

Police raid poker players in private home

Old 07-08-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 211 Likes on 141 Posts
Police raid poker players in private home

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/ju...artner=popular

Knox deputies raid Bexhill subdivision poker game

KNOXVILLE - Knox County Sheriff's Office deputies raided yet another allegedly illegal gambling operation Wednesday night.

The latest raid targeted a poker game inside a private residence in the Bexhill subdivision in West Knox County, according to a KCSO spokeswoman Ashley Haynes.

Deputies discovered eight people around one poker table at 1304 Buxton Drive, and seized approximately $1,000 cash, Haynes said.

No arrests were made, but all information was turned over the Knox County District Attorney General's Office for possible charges, she said.

The raid follows at least seven other such operations carried out by KCSO within the past five weeks, targeting underground poker games and businesses operating video poker machines.
I thought you'd all find this interesting..
Old 07-08-11, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Police raid poker players in private home

Poker players, the scourge of our society.
Old 07-09-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

A whole $1000 in cash. That's some fine work, boys. I assume the OP thinks they got what they deserved.
Old 07-09-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Underground poker game? It's a bunch of fat slobs eating pizza playing a $100 buy-in game to pass some freaking time. My lord what an insane abuse of power.
Old 07-10-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has to be more to the story. How did the police know about the game? Why raid this particular game?
Old 07-10-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, sounds like something is up. Possible tip about a gambling club? Perhaps bookmaking?

Regardless, I doubt anything will happen to those guys unless they uncover some dirt.
Old 07-10-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can sleep better at night knowing that a $125 buy-in poker game has been taken care of. In tough economic times, those people could have given that money to charity,
Old 07-11-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Radley Balko has more on this including some comments from the owner of the house here.
Old 07-14-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 211 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I assume the OP thinks they got what they deserved.
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Old 07-14-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've played poker a bunch around Knoxville, never seen a more open game in my life. The place I usually played at was in a biker bar, out in the open. Then it got moved to a room right next door to the bar, but still attached. Last I heard this game got moved down the road to the local UPS warehouse.
Old 07-14-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Years of reading your posts regarding law enforcement.
Old 10-02-11, 02:58 AM

Some angry neighbor or loser from a previous game probably tipped someone off. But, there has to be a lawmaker in the area that has a problem with gambling, as well. Notice they said it was the 8th such operation. I doubt they will be able to make any charges stick.

But, it is a good reminder why the money needs to be put away in a room away from the poker table. All the police find then is a friendly game involving cards and poker chips.
Old 10-03-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

^^^That's like having several thousands of dollars in one room, while smoking pot in the other, and claiming you're just doing it for recreational purposes and don't have any intent on distributing your product.

I don't think the "cash in the other room" would fly in front of a half-sober judge.

In any case, LE should be focusing efforts in other areas. I foresee a bunch of Superbowl card game arrests, while domestic violence on that day is the highest of any day of the year, and they push their way past beaten mothers just to arrest their kids for playing cards.
Old 10-03-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
In any case, LE should be focusing efforts in other areas. I foresee a bunch of Superbowl card game arrests, while domestic violence on that day is the highest of any day of the year, and they push their way past beaten mothers just to arrest their kids for playing cards.
Haha, what?
Old 10-03-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

According to Crisis Control Center board member Tim Boatmun.

Maybe LE can focus more efforts on internet forum members who impulsively post without thinking, rather than card gamers.
Old 10-04-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if he's basing that on the same sources that Snopes debunked a couple of months ago:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/superbowl.asp
Old 10-04-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The cops around here are either really obtuse or just don't give a fuck about poker. I know of cash tourneys every night but Saturday that take place in the open in a bar. Hell, a couple even advertise them. Every Sunday night, at one particular bar, they have a cash game that runs til bartime (usually about 7 hours). I spent 4 hours playing and turned my $30 into $145 plus the cost of my drinks. That game had 14-15 players (2 tables) most of the night so I'd say there was a pretty good chance of $1000 passing through the game, all held by one person. There are many a night I've seen someone piss away $150 in an hour when drunk. I guess I should consider myself lucky.
Old 10-04-11, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 231 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by kovacs01 View Post
Some angry neighbor or loser from a previous game probably tipped someone off. But, there has to be a lawmaker in the area that has a problem with gambling, as well. Notice they said it was the 8th such operation. I doubt they will be able to make any charges stick.

But, it is a good reminder why the money needs to be put away in a room away from the poker table. All the police find then is a friendly game involving cards and poker chips.
*dingdingding*

Make sure no one is blocking the nearby driveways. Talk to the neighbors to make sure they aren't having a problem with your parties. Keep down the noise level of people leaving the house after midnight. It's just being neighborly.

There isn't much you can do if the local DA who decides that getting tough on gambling will win him some votes. But don't make it easy for him. If you're on good terms with your neighbors, he'll never hear about you.