Anyone use prepaid cell phones?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone use prepaid cell phones?

Old 04-28-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Anyone use prepaid cell phones?

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I really want an Optimus V, but dammit, now I can't find one cheaper than $199. I know it's going to be cheap sometime soon, probably the week after I break down and buy one full price. lol Rumor is VM will be releasing a Motorola smartphone later this year. The only time I lost coverage with VM was when I drove up in the mountains.
I bought Optimus Vs for the entire family. Even at $199 a pop we'll be recouping that in savings after about 6 months. A very nice phone and a HUGE step up from the G1s that my wife and I had with T-Mobile.
Old 04-28-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
I've never really understood why the cell phone market is dominated by 2 year contracts. I've got the Samsung Intercept via Virgin Mobile. A full-out Android smart phone for $25 per month with no contract & unlimited text/data is a steal. I've never even come close the the allowable 300 minutes per month, but use the hell out of everything else.
it's evdo rev 0 which is slower than Rev A which is the norm on verizon
lower resolution screen which means less data transfered
only 300 minutes and no "free" minutes for talking on the same network or on weekends
the phone is 2 years old so they aren't losing money on the hardware when they sell it to you
slow phone means it processes data slower reducing your data consumption
low res camera which means less data when emailing photos

VM buys data in bulk and they know exactly how much data a phone will use which is why they only offer the lowest end phones. the 2 year contract phones consume a lot more data

i looked at Virgin, but AT&T is the same price when on a family plan
Old 04-28-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 887 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I just switched from TracFone to Platinumtel because of the free Samsung M800 phone. Either way, it's $100 per year. I don't use all the minutes.
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
How do you like the M800 phone? Reviews are mixed.
No opinion. It's my first ever touch screen phone, so I have nothing to compare it to. I've only had it two weeks.
Old 04-28-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
No opinion. It's my first ever touch screen phone, so I have nothing to compare it to. I've only had it two weeks.
How about call quality? That was one thing I read that worried me. Some people said it sucked, couldn't hear, etc
Old 04-28-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use a Tracfone, the Motorola 376g. Works great for me, I spend about $80 a year for 900 to 950 minutes and 1 year of usage. I can receive texts but I tell people I can't, and I never send texts. Just the phone. Heck, I can't even download ringtones (supposedly I can but it doesn't work on my phone for some reason - I don't care, the basic ringtone works fine for me).

$80 = a $100 phone card at Meijer using their $20 (or $25) off of a $100 purchase (Santa Bucks, every December). 1000 minutes = 400 minutes doubled, plus 100 or 150 bonus minutes.
Old 04-28-11, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've the the LG Optimus V with VM for $25 a month. Love it.
Old 04-28-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I'm not a terrorist.
Old 04-29-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

What, no love for MetroPCS? I have a Samsung Caliber, but might be upgrading soon. Great coverage (except for the places none of my friends have coverage either) and it's $50/month for unlimited talk/text/data/web. I talk on the phone enough that in my experience (like with Tracfone) I need unlimited minutes per month. I just don't want to have to worry about going over the minutes.
Old 04-29-11, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The OP asked about prepaid cell phone and people chime in with monthly plan stories. Stay on topic, people!
Old 04-29-11, 08:49 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had Virgin Mobile for a few weeks. The absolute worst experience I've ever had with any company. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
Old 04-29-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by drc View Post
I had Virgin Mobile for a few weeks. The absolute worst experience I've ever had with any company. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
why?

they buy bulk data from sprint and you use sprint's network
Old 04-29-11, 11:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The downside of the good deal is you pay a lot for the phone up front. But in the long run it's a good deal. I've been trying to decide if I want to get one of the Android phones.
Yeah, I figured that, but I was hoping to ditch the land line and save another $40 a month, since I barely use that either. Then I realized I'd still have to pay for my DSL, which I am very happy with and don't want to change. It costs almost the same with or without the voice line.

$25/month is still pretty tempting though. How long has that deal been active? I'm worried that when I sign up, they will raise the price. Richard Branson is just sitting on his private island waiting for my name to pop up on his customer list, then he'll say "NOW! NOW! Double the price. We got him."
Old 04-29-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I do the pay-as-you go thing with Virgin Mobile. I think it's great. I rarely use my cell phone, so I only have to add $20 to it every three months. I'll often go through about that much anyway.

I use a cheap Virgin flip phone I got for $8.
Old 04-29-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Yeah, I figured that, but I was hoping to ditch the land line and save another $40 a month, since I barely use that either. Then I realized I'd still have to pay for my DSL, which I am very happy with and don't want to change. It costs almost the same with or without the voice line.

$25/month is still pretty tempting though. How long has that deal been active? I'm worried that when I sign up, they will raise the price. Richard Branson is just sitting on his private island waiting for my name to pop up on his customer list, then he'll say "NOW! NOW! Double the price. We got him."
VM has had that $25/month deal for about year. I've had it for a couple of weeks and love it (especially the free tethering) but I'm sure that something will come up to sour the experience... but until then, I'm enjoying it.
Old 04-29-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Were any of you on VM that switched from another carrier able to keep your number? I've decided on the Optimus V and I'd like to keep my Verizon number if possible.
Old 04-30-11, 01:28 AM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
The OP asked about prepaid cell phone and people chime in with monthly plan stories. Stay on topic, people!
MetroPCS is a flat-fee prepaid cell phone, same thing.

<br>
Old 04-30-11, 08:00 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Were any of you on VM that switched from another carrier able to keep your number? I've decided on the Optimus V and I'd like to keep my Verizon number if possible.
Yes, but as of a year ago when I signed up, you can only transfer a number by calling them. That's where my problems began. VM's customer service is aggressively unhelpful and incompetent even though my issues were 100% on their end and 100% their fault.

I think prepaid cell phone plans are analogous to buying things online with a debit card (vs. a credit card). If you don't have any problems, it seems great. But it's a much bigger hassle if you ever have a problem.
Old 04-30-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I called Customer Service and it was transferred around 4-6 hours later. Had absolutely no problems.
Old 04-30-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome.
Old 04-30-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes... we were able to port all of our numbers from T-Mobile to VM (Optimus V).
Old 05-01-11, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shoppingbear View Post
MetroPCS is a flat-fee prepaid cell phone, same thing.

<br>
I guess some companies call it that but I prefer no monthly charges which that has. No monthly charges to me is really prepaid.
Old 10-16-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Bump

My contract is almost up and I'm switching to prepaid. Any good new deals out there? I only talk a few minutes a week and text occasionally.
Old 10-16-12, 04:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Bump

My contract is almost up and I'm switching to prepaid. Any good new deals out there? I only talk a few minutes a week and text occasionally.
I think Virgin Mobile has the best smartphones out there for prepaid right now. They have a $250 Samsung which looks a lot like the Galaxy phones. They also have a 4G smartphone but coverage is very limited.

Another option is to get a refurnished I-phone from AT&T and use it on straight talk. I saw them cheap as $300.
Old 10-16-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Bump

Tmo 10 cents per minute or text(pics and videos 25 cents)

Pay $100 for first year, then 1 day before the year is up, add $10 and you are good for another year. Rinse and repeat adding $10 every year.

The gs2 is $300 or gnex $350,no contract.
Old 10-16-12, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Says the white guy, who watched The Wire.

white people watch Breaking Bad.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.