Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 12-03-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
After not having many IPAs for a while, I've totally lost the taste for them - some I can still handle (the limited "unfiltered" Sculpin is fucking amazing), but for the most part, I'm not digging the overly hoppy beers like I did a year or two ago. I'm all about sours now - but more regularly, I like blondes, like 805 and other variants from local breweries. One local brewery, Stereo Brewing, a hi-fi themed brewery, has a blonde called "Blonde on Blonde" (their beers are based on classic rock bands and albums) that's freaking amazing!

As for sours, another local brewery opened up a second location specializing in sours, with a third location coming soon for IPAs.
I have to pickup my allotment at Bruery, so thanks for this info. Another great reason to drive up to the OC.
Old 12-05-17, 01:52 PM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
BCBS seems to be everywhere (around here, anyway) this year.

I have been grabbing extras of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale the past few years and aging them in order to do a vertical of the three most recent vintages at Christmas dinner. It gets much smoother as it ages, so the "oldest" is always the hands-down favorite. They added a Providential Golden Ale (also brewed by Unibroe) that I had never seen in the local stores before, which I also picked up but haven't cracked open yet. Reviews have been positive.

I also hung onto a few of last year's Xocoveza, but aging didn't do much for it. The pepper is a tad less pronounced, but that's about it. I'm not sure I'll bother with this year's since I have so much else to go through, thanks to a couple of recent trips to Wisconsin and Minnesota, as well as several local end-of-year bottle releases.
Where have you been seeing BCBS, if you don't mind revealing?
Old 12-05-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Where have you been seeing BCBS, if you don't mind revealing?
Local shops, mainly...Jungle Jim's and Clifton Market in particular had stock that is probably long gone by now. Several Meijer stores also got it, although none of them were in Ohio.
Old 12-05-17, 08:27 PM

Local shops, mainly...Jungle Jim's and Clifton Market in particular had stock that is probably long gone by now. Several Meijer stores also got it, although none of them were in Ohio.

Thanks. Likely all gone then. I have not seen it anywhere I shop. Sounded good. Of course, I don't drink any alcohol, which makes it difficult to purchase for my wife, but this seems like something she would really like. Maybe next year.

Off topic: been a little while but I like the Clifton market. Excellent cookies.
Old 12-05-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Iím still seeing it everywhere. They have seemingly increased distribution.

I finally picked up a couple Epic Big Bad Babtista! One of my favorite beers. Also grabbed a triple Barrel Aged.

But need more Baptista. Every where is 1 pp so far ;(
Old 12-06-17, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I finally picked up a couple Epic Big Bad Babtista! One of my favorite beers. Also grabbed a triple Barrel Aged.
(
Both of those are excellent.
Still on the shelf in Chicago area, especially at big chains like Binny's..
Old 12-08-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Off topic: been a little while but I like the Clifton market. Excellent cookies.
I hope the Market makes it. There were some very public concerns over the summer about its financial well-being, but things seem to have stabilized for now, and prices on some everyday goods have also been lowered. It is the closest grocery store to our house (for now), but I admit that we don't use it for much more than the occasional 6-pack and some of the deli items and baked goods made fresh on site (and, yes, the cookies are quite good).

I will likely be spending more dollars than necessary on the Urban Artifact Milkman (maple breakfast stout) variants next weekend. There will be a mole stout, a pastry stout, milk and cookies, mocha espresso, and...breakfast sausage?!
Old 12-11-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Working in Pittsburgh. Went to Fat Heads last night. One of my favorite brew pubs. Tho I see they opened a Southern Tier/Victory Brew Pub. Going to check out. Love both breweries. Been to Victory, but never able to make it to Southern Tier.

Iíll hit up Church Brew Works. Iíve never had an ďOMGĒ beer from them, but love the Brewery as a converted church.

Any other Pittsburgh recommendations? Looks like Iíll have two days off (besides hitting places late in day/night).
Old 01-04-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not a big fan of IPA's but I have to say that this is some good stuff:

Old 01-04-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To follow up my Pittsburgh trip,

Voodoo Brewery
Eleventh Hour
Southern Tier

All well worth going too. Very good beers at all. Voodoo had a nice double IPA, Eleventh Hour had a good Pale Ale and Southern Tier had a couple of goodness including 2015 Warlock that I got a Crowler of for $10.00!!!!!

Finally picked up about 6-7 bottles of Baptista. On these I set half to drink over the course of the year and age the rest.
Old 01-08-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally picked up about 6-7 bottles of Baptista.
It's on the menu again at this Saturday's Jungle Jim's Barrel Aged Beer Bash, along with a number of other goodies from Epic and others. I still haven't had the Barrel Aged Black Solstice from Figleaf (in Middletown, OH, between Cincinnati and Dayton), which has been getting a lot of buzz around here.
Old 03-04-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Last Sunday, went down to Hoof Hearted for their can release, but the star of the show (and the prior release I believe), was Konkey Dong 4Up. One of the, if not the, finest IPA I've had that was produced in-state.

(Hard to say that when we also get Hop Juju from FH, but this 4Up was right in my limited wheelhouse for stellar IPAs.)
Old 03-04-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Last Sunday, went down to Hoof Hearted for their can release, but the star of the show (and the prior release I believe), was Konkey Dong 4Up. One of the, if not the, finest IPA I've had that was produced in-state.

(Hard to say that when we also get Hop Juju from FH, but this 4Up was right in my limited wheelhouse for stellar IPAs.)
This!

Hoof Hearted is one of the best ever breweries no one has heard of. They make good shit!
Old 03-04-18, 04:37 PM

Can anyone recommend something similar to Narragansett Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout?

I bought some over Christmas and really enjoyed it. But when I went back, they were out. I guess it's a seasonal thing.

I'm looking for something that's year-round, easy to find, and reasonably priced.
Old 03-04-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Can anyone recommend something similar to Narragansett Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout?

I bought some over Christmas and really enjoyed it. But when I went back, they were out. I guess it's a seasonal thing.

I'm looking for something that's year-round, easy to find, and reasonably priced.
Where are you? The better beer are local regional....

Iím in Dallas. Lakewood Brewery makes an incredible (by any standard) French Quarter Temptress on limited release. This is their very good Milk Stout w/New Orleans Chickory Coffee. It is amazing!

Left Hand out of Longmont Colorado makes some variations of their famous stout as well. But how far it is distributed is questionable.
Old 03-04-18, 05:03 PM

Where are you? The better beer are local regional....
I'm in South Florida. Down here, all the local craft beers are full of citrus and pineapple.

I've seen a couple Left Hand varieties at my local Total Wine store. I think they have the Milk Stout Nitro.
Old 03-04-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm in South Florida. Down here, all the local craft beers are full of citrus and pineapple.

I've seen a couple Left Hand varieties at my local Total Wine store. I think they have the Milk Stout Nitro.
Sorry...Iím not a local Florida beer fan....

You might check to see if Avery distributes down there. Their Tweak is amazing. But only drink it at home 15%+ ABV
Old 03-05-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fat Tire Belgian White is hands down my all time new Favorite beer - absolutely love it.
Old 03-05-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Who'd Like to Hold My Clipboard? is still my favorite of theirs, but Konkey Dong is also very, very good.

We're making a quick trip to Louisiana next week, and the plan is to bring back some Jucifer from Gnarly Barley and 4XDH Envie from Parish. The DDH Ghost in the Machine from Parish that I had at Christmas is easily the best beer I've had out of Louisiana, and nothing else has even been close.

The Left Hand is probably the best option that meets all of your criteria. I personally don't find the coffee to be very pronounced (it's more sweet than roasty), but I enjoy it just the same.

Stone makes a seasonal Coffee Milk Stout (which I've never tried) that might also still be available around you. For a real treat, you might see if you can track down any remaining bottle(s) of Cigar City's Cafe con Leche.
Old 03-05-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Fat Tire Belgian White is hands down my all time new Favorite beer - absolutely love it.
I like that one too.
Old 03-05-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Who'd Like to Hold My Clipboard? is still my favorite of theirs, but Konkey Dong is also very, very good.

We're making a quick trip to Louisiana next week, and the plan is to bring back some Jucifer from Gnarly Barley and 4XDH Envie from Parish. The DDH Ghost in the Machine from Parish that I had at Christmas is easily the best beer I've had out of Louisiana, and nothing else has even been close.

The Left Hand is probably the best option that meets all of your criteria. I personally don't find the coffee to be very pronounced (it's more sweet than roasty), but I enjoy it just the same.

Stone makes a seasonal Coffee Milk Stout (which I've never tried) that might also still be available around you. For a real treat, you might see if you can track down any remaining bottle(s) of Cigar City's Cafe con Leche.
The Nitro version of the Left Hand milk stout is even better. Itís one of my absolute favorites.
Old 03-06-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I like that one too.
Yes!! I like to hard pour my beers into a glass to get all of the carbon dioxide out and the foam from this beer is outstanding - foam = Beer but sometimes it's even better :-)
Old 03-06-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Yes!! I like to hard pour my beers into a glass to get all of the carbon dioxide out and the foam from this beer is outstanding - foam = Beer but sometimes it's even better :-)
I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago. I went to a deli and all they had were crap beers (Coors, Miller), a bunch of IPA's and Fat Tire.
I'm a fan of Allagash White so I went for the Fat Tire and I was very impressed. I gave one to my wife and another to her friend and they both loved it.
Old 03-06-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago. I went to a deli and all they had were crap beers (Coors, Miller), a bunch of IPA's and Fat Tire.
I'm a fan of Allagash White so I went for the Fat Tire and I was very impressed. I gave one to my wife and another to her friend and they both loved it.
Very cool - so far I haven't found anyone who doesn't like it - if you stop over my house and you drink beer, you have to have one lol.

Last edited by Rival11; 03-06-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 01:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Two of my current favorites:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.