Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 03-11-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Exocit Ingredients Beer Tasting

Tomorrow here in San Diego, another Beer Tasting at the Museum of Man.

I think someone mentioned the Grapefruit Sculpin and that will be here.

I can't make it, though, I'm saving up for the madness in Vegas next week.
Old 03-11-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

So I was out today and when I got back home FEDEX had left a note saying that they tried delivering the Hellboy Red Ales. That was pretty fast shipping considering I just got the email from ROgue saying they would start bottling the second batch of ales on 3/12. I'll be ready for them when they deliver the tomorrow.
Old 03-12-15, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alipine (California) started distributing here and several bars were having a "first taping".

I don't remember them all, but the Irish Red was good (but way overpriced). I had an IPA with a bit of a rye finish that I really liked. And I usually hate the rye IPA's.

Also a local brewery did a collaboration with Green Flash. Alas this brewery does not bottle or can, and I couldn't get out to the resturant they were taping it at. I'm hoping they saved a keg or two for special events.

There is literally too much going on with the craft beer scene here right now. It's crazy.
Old 03-12-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heading to KBS week tonight to pick up my allotment!
Old 03-12-15, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Hellboy Ales arrived and it was pretty tasty. Actually, it was rather sweet, and I got a good buzz from it. The bottle doesn't say what the ABV content, though.

Old 04-04-15, 06:53 PM

Just opened my first bottle of Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter. It's not anything like I was expecting. The first thing I smell and the last thing I taste is hops, kinda like an IPA. Otherwise it's strong coffee and black licorice.

Really rich. Gonna need a knife and fork for this one. And at 9.2% ABV, maybe a nap.
Old 04-04-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So local brewery (Peticolas) did a collaboration with Green Flash (San Diego). Called, Operation Collaboration. It is a big 8.5% ABV, IPA.

It is really interesting as Peticolas is extremely popular here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Mainly for their Velvet Hammer (a very good American Strong Ale or guess maybe you would call it a Red/Strong). It is very good, smooth, malty but like 9% ABV (hence the "Hammer"). But Peticolas does not bottle or can, thus doesn't get much play even in Central/South Texas.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28520/79038/

Of course Green Flash is a large, well known brewery known for their IPA (and more).

The Collaboration is really good. I don't think technically a rye, but to me, much more earthy than citrus. And full of flavor that stays with you. I've had it several times now, and gotten a couple growlers of it.

I know the owner of Peticolas and talked to him about it a bit when they tapped the first keg as a popular bar. Nice guy...love his beer. Most of them are higher than typical ABV, but all are so smooth, you don't notice....well till too late....lol

Here is a quick read write up if interested.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/city...laboration.php

I hope he does more with some outside breweries. He is popular enough to can/bottle but he won't because of our lame distribution issues. This might be a way to get his brand "out" without bottling/canning.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-04-15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I normally don't drink Blue Moon but I was at a local meat market yesterday and they had six-pack bottles of their seasonal Horchata variation. It was pretty damn good. The cinnamon frost was very pleasant.
Old 04-05-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm....I'm intrigued. It's not out yet, but if this gives a nitrogen-like effect, and is reasonably priced...:

http://comingsoon-tech.com/fizzics
Old 04-09-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally tried this and outside of the novelty it's surprisingly "just ok." I'll keep the bottle.
Old 06-19-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For the the 7th straight year, Russian River's Pliny The Elder gets Best Beer In America!

Well deserved, IMO!

Old 06-19-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
For the the 7th straight year, Russian River's Pliny The Elder gets Best Beer In America!

Well deserved, IMO!

Good list. I've had most. I'd agree within one or two spots for most. I love Sculpin, but not sure if put at 3. And wouldn't put 90 Minute in the top 10.
Old 06-20-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having the Stone, Enjoy By. Great beer. Love the crispness yet the flavor stays to the finish. Get the Enjoy By every time they have have one.
Old 09-30-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a flight of 20 beers I just had at Russian River this last weekend - and after trying all their beers on tap, I have to say, taken as a whole, beer for beer, they are easily the best brewery in the world!

Old 10-01-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Would love to go. Maybe San Fransisco next year.

After doing Denver for two years in a row hitting San Diego at the end of Oct. Charger game, tailgating and brewery crawl. This is my list to hit so far,

AleSmith
Ballast Point
Green Flash
Mike Hess
Stone
Saint Archor
Lost Abby
Old 10-01-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if Alpine has an open brewery in the San Diego area, add it. Its my favorite SoCal brewery along with AleSmith.

If any of you end up in Santa Cruz, CA, be sure to check out Sante Aderius (probably spelled wrong) Brewery
Old 10-01-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That list is one note, it's all hop bomb IPAs. This is indicative of a bigger problem among American beer drinkers. I like west-coast IPAs as much as anyone but people need to start to realize that c-hop flavors are not synonymous with quality. This trend has been going on for almost 20 years now and it's getting old. We also as American beer fans need to discover the wonders of yeast and malt flavors. These days domestic brewers often produce fantastic lagers that require much more skill to make than a 9.6% DIPAs and craft beer guys will say "it's fine" and rate it as middling. So the brewers go back to endless varieties of IPAs.

Perhaps I'm just sore because I brought a bunch of Weihenstephaner Kristall and Ayinger Jahrhundert (both of which are world class and appropriate to the season) to a party last weekend and everyone was sort of "meh" about both while raving about how much they love bog-standard Lagunitas IPA. This kills me. I was like "guys, you're drinking two of the finest beers in the world. Please recognize the technique."
Old 10-01-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
That list is one note, it's all hop bomb IPAs. This is indicative of a bigger problem among American beer drinkers. I like west-coast IPAs as much as anyone but people need to start to realize that c-hop flavors are not synonymous with quality. This trend has been going on for almost 20 years now and it's getting old. We also as American beer fans need to discover the wonders of yeast and malt flavors. These days domestic brewers often produce fantastic lagers that require much more skill to make than a 9.6% DIPAs and craft beer guys will say "it's fine" and rate it as middling. So the brewers go back to endless varieties of IPAs.

Perhaps I'm just sore because I brought a bunch of Weihenstephaner Kristall and Ayinger Jahrhundert (both of which are world class and appropriate to the season) to a party last weekend and everyone was sort of "meh" about both while raving about how much they love bog-standard Lagunitas IPA. This kills me. I was like "guys, you're drinking two of the finest beers in the world. Please recognize the technique."
As a fan of German wheat beers and not a fan of feeling I just sucked on a pine cone, I agree. BTW one of my favorites, Weihenstephaner Vitus is now available in 11.2 ounce bottles. Bought a case last week.
Old 10-01-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried an Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen the other day -- it was very nice. Prost!
Old 10-01-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

See, Russian River is keenly aware of that. They do have a couple of IPA, but to address the issues you've brought up, they've introduced some ales and reds, along with a new (award winning) pilsner (not to mention the Belgians they already brew), that really does make them the king of mirco brews, with not just with quality, but variety.
Old 10-02-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah Russian River is all over the board. They have a number of sours
Old 10-02-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Would love to go. Maybe San Fransisco next year.

After doing Denver for two years in a row hitting San Diego at the end of Oct. Charger game, tailgating and brewery crawl. This is my list to hit so far,

AleSmith
Ballast Point
Green Flash
Mike Hess
Stone
Saint Archor
Lost Abby
I know its a longshot, but if you have some time, drive up to Fullerton and go to "The Bruery". I have found their beers so good and varied. I found them after I was served their "Smoking Wood". However, they are no longer bottling that one only filling growlers until its gone. But they make a killer stout, dark ales and some crazy Belgian ales that made a beer fan of my wife.

AleSmith is my favourite local brewery these days. I'm a huge stout fan and shared some speedway with my buds in NY. Now, I'm not let into NYC unless I have a case of it with me.
Old 10-02-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grip View Post
I know its a longshot, but if you have some time, drive up to Fullerton and go to "The Bruery".
Bruery does have good beers, though I'm not a huge fan of Belgians. Unfortunately, it is usually filled to the brim with hipster douchebags. Just up the street is Bootlegger's, which is more my speed, more laid back, better beers (IMO), less douchebags...
Old 10-02-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grip View Post
I know its a longshot, but if you have some time, drive up to Fullerton and go to "The Bruery". I have found their beers so good and varied. I found them after I was served their "Smoking Wood". However, they are no longer bottling that one only filling growlers until its gone. But they make a killer stout, dark ales and some crazy Belgian ales that made a beer fan of my wife.
That place is great. I only wish they didn't charge so damned much.

AleSmith is my favourite local brewery these days. I'm a huge stout fan and shared some speedway with my buds in NY. Now, I'm not let into NYC unless I have a case of it with me.
Not available in Chicago. Makes me angry.
Old 10-02-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not available in Chicago. Makes me angry.
AleSmith actually just started distributing to Illinois. Check beermenus.com to find a store near you.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.