Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Real-Life Superheroes Take Over Seattle; Almost Get Killed by Police

Old 11-23-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/11/19...e-superheroes/

A group of caped crusaders with names like Thorn, Green Reaper, Penelope, and Phoenix Jones have sprung up in Seattle. These masked vigilantes say they're part of the Rain City Superhero Movement -- self-described superheroes who patrol the streets at night and fight crime. They're part of a larger movement of crime fighters who host this website for the Real Life Superhero community -- giving tips to Regular Joes and Janes who want to take to the streets and perform "good deeds for the communitarian place whom he inhabits." Someone's been watching too much 'Kick-Ass.'

Seattle police are getting a bit antsy about people putting themselves in unnecessary danger. A group of superheroes outside a gas station in ski masks didn't bode well with authorities, and one dressed in all black was almost shot running out of a dark park. Phoenix claims he was stabbed "while trying to intervene with a drug dealer and a citizen." Why do they risk it? "Because someone's gotta do something," the author of RLSH says.

These heroes don't carry automatic weapons -- opting for Tasers, nightsticks, and pepper spray instead -- and Phoenix doesn't think just anyone with a mask should be wandering the streets. "Everyone on my team either has a military background or a mixed martial arts background, and we're well aware of what its costs to do what we do." His costume includes a black cape, black fedora, blue tights, white belt and mask. His sidekick? A woman not in costume who usually drives him around to do his thing. So far, no confirmation if this is actually his mom.

A department spokesperson, Jeff Kappel, doesn't seem to be having the same reaction to the group that former NYC mayor Ed Koch had to the Guardian Angels in the late '70s. "There's nothing wrong with citizens getting involved with the criminal justice process -- as long as they follow it all the way through." Kappel still recommends calling good old 911.
Morans. Not only are they putting themselves in danger by cops and criminals, in this day and age they're likely to be sued by the criminals when they tase them.
Old 11-23-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Real-Life Superheroes Take Over Seattle; Almost Get Killed by Police

They are idiots... but at least they're idiots I can respect after shaking my head in amazement. Any citizen has the right to make an arrest (which includes reasonable force and detaining a person if they witness something). Its using weapons that makes me think that they will be sued eventually.
Old 11-23-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

His costume includes a black cape, black fedora, blue tights, white belt and mask. His sidekick? A woman not in costume who usually drives him around to do his thing. So far, no confirmation if this is actually his mom.

More power to them, I say.
Old 11-23-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
in this day and age they're likely to be sued by the criminals when they tase them.
Well duh, that's why they make sure to have secret identities. As long as they don't get unmasked by a villian, they have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-23-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 11-23-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ so you invested two years into your DVDTalk account just to use your six hundred sixty-sixth post for that.

Old 11-23-10, 04:46 PM

What is this world coming to when even our soldiers and MMA fighters are total fucking nerds?
Old 11-23-10, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
^ so you invested two years into your DVDTalk account just to use your six hundred sixty-sixth post for that.

Yep.
Old 11-23-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't this also happen in one of Bendis's Powers stories? Can't wait for the crazy costumed villains to show up. And I hope that guys' cape is short, because trained or not, a cape is pretty much a liability in a fight, I would think.
Old 11-23-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Morans.