Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Asian youth disguised as old man fools airport security.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-05-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm... well... weird...

By Allan Dowd

VANCOUVER | Fri Nov 5, 2010 3:23pm EDT

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Canadian authorities were trying to determine on Friday how a man believed to be in his 20s was able to board a flight in Hong Kong to Vancouver having disguised himself as an elderly passenger.

The young man, who was arrested when he arrived in Canada, boarded an Air Canada flight on October 29 wearing a realistic silicon head and neck mask that made him appear elderly, according to media reports and photographs.

A spokesman for Canada's public safety minister confirmed the incident but declined further comment. The man requested asylum in Canada when he arrived, which prevents officials from disclosing his name or where he is from. He is now being held in custody.

The man was able to board the flight apparently without a passport or any other documents with a picture or date of birth. He carried the boarding pass of a U.S. citizen who was booked on the flight.

Although the young man is of Asian origin, the intricate disguise made him look like a very elderly Caucasian.

"It is believed that the subject and the actual United States citizen passenger, whose date of birth is 1955, performed a boarding pass swap," according to a Canadian Border Services Agency security alert obtained by CNN.

An Air Canada spokesman said the issue was under investigation by Canadian authorities, but said there are multiple identification checks for passengers in Hong Kong - including one by the Chinese government.

Transport Canada is investigating if screening regulations were broken. It is the responsibility of airlines to verify the identity of passengers who appear to be 18 years or older before they are allowed on the aircraft.

"That means air carriers are supposed to look at a passenger's entire face to determine if they appear to be over 18 and if so, compare their physical appearance with their travel documents," said John Babcock, a spokesman for Transport Minister Chuck Strahl.

The man went into the airplane toilet midway through the flight and removed his disguise, according to the CBSA alert which noted the impostor did not attempt to disguise the age of his hands.

A search of the man's luggage uncovered gloves and a "disguise kit," according to the alert.
Old 11-05-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Asian youth disguised as old man fools airport security.

Giving Quaid a run for his money.

When reached for comment the suspect said, "Get ready for a surprise!" and then exploded.
Old 11-05-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Transport Canada is investigating if screening regulations were broken. It is the responsibility of airlines to verify the identity of passengers who appear to be 18 years or older before they are allowed on the aircraft."That means air carriers are supposed to look at a passenger's entire face to determine if they appear to be over 18 and if so, compare their physical appearance with their travel documents," said John Babcock, a spokesman for Transport Minister Chuck Strahl.
Is this a Canadian or international flying thing? I fly almost once a month and I've never had the carrier check a photo ID. Once I pass the TSA check, all I've needed is a boarding pass. But I'm saying this from only flying within the US.
Old 11-05-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Giving Quaid a run for his money.

When reached for comment the suspect said, "Get ready for a surprise!" and then exploded.
Two weeks.
Old 11-05-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asian youth disguised as old man, not an Asian youth; cops shocked by real identity.

Old 11-05-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Asian youth disguised as old man, not an Asian youth; cops shocked by real identi

Twice in one day?!? Crazy.