Reload this Page >

Never thought I would start a cat thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-28-10, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In some ways, it is almost theraputic.

I had an almost 12 year old cat (Annie) that never had a problem. Sunday, she didn't eat all day, and was kind of keeping to herself. I took her to the vet on Monday, and they thought she was probably constipated. They did an x-ray as a percaution, and found a mass completely blocking her intestines. Immediately took her to an emergency hospital, and within two days was diagnosed with lymphomia. I put her down yesterday evening, I didn't want to have her suffer.

I am just in total shock how things can change in the span of four days.
Old 10-28-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Never thought I would start a cat thread

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr View Post
In some ways, it is almost theraputic.

I had an almost 12 year old cat (Annie) that never had a problem. Sunday, she didn't eat all day, and was kind of keeping to herself. I took her to the vet on Monday, and they thought she was probably constipated. They did an x-ray as a percaution, and found a mass completely blocking her intestines. Immediately took her to an emergency hospital, and within two days was diagnosed with lymphomia. I put her down yesterday evening, I didn't want to have her suffer.

I am just in total shock how things can change in the span of four days.
Bless your heart. And Annie's, too. I just went through this two weeks ago and it was very sudden as well. Please know you did the right thing. And you will see her again.

Vibs
Old 10-28-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so sorry for your loss. I to am also going thru a similar situation with my dog. My mom said that the pain we feel when our fury friends move on is the price we pay for their love for us throughout the years. You did the right thing.
Old 10-28-10, 11:31 AM

Hippie, I just saw that. I am sorry for everything you are going through. It is always tough, but just remember all the great times that you had togeather.

Vib, I am sorry for your sudden loss as well.
Old 10-28-10, 11:43 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Hulkabrgr, sorry for your loss. Your little fur pal had a long life because of you.
Old 10-28-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You have my condolences. Ours wasn't so sudden, but it still hurt having to put them down, but we knew it was for the best. Keep that in mind, you helped more than you know.
Old 10-28-10, 11:47 AM

My deepest sympathies for your loss.
Old 10-28-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss. I had a very realistic dream the other night that I found my cat passed away on the floor. I jumped awake as if it was the scariest dream ever, sweating and even shaking a little. I'm dreading the day I have to deal with that for real.
Old 10-28-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It always hurts to hear stuff like this.

We lost both Eggbuns & Sgt. Pee Pee, so I know all too well what it feels like.

However, and if there's any consolation...

It's good to know that you were supportive & kind, and Annie knew without a doubt she was Loved.
Old 10-28-10, 01:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear Pethouse...

Sorry. I've been there with a cat I didn't even particularly like and it was difficult.
Old 10-28-10, 03:58 PM

Thanks again everyone for the kind words.

The worst part was when they gave Annie a sedative before the euthenasia: As soon as they gave her the shot, she screamed in pain, and flipped off the table. By the time, I got there to pick her up, the sedative had already kicked in, and she was pretty much chewing on her tongue. I have no idea is she broke anything, and felt pain at the end. That is what is going to haunt me for a while.

I am almost 35, never married, no kids, only child and live alone. She really was like a child to me. I will probably wind up adopting in the next few weeks, the apartment is too quiet, and it is best to honor her by giving the same love that I gave her to another cat.
Old 10-28-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I will probably wind up adopting in the next few weeks, the apartment is too quiet, and it is best to honor her by giving the same love that I gave her to another cat.
Now THAT sounds like one HELL of a G-R-E-A-T idea, Sgt. Hulka!
Old 10-28-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i am sorry for your loss. Words feel so inadequate at this time.

The time we get with them is always too short.
Old 10-28-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very sorry for your loss.

Glad to hear you will be adopting another. We all know there are far too many that need a loving home.
Old 10-28-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry about your cat - I'm a dog person and I've got one that's getting up there in dog years. I know I'll be bummed when the time comes.
Old 10-28-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-28-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sorry for your loss. As much as it's painful, glad to hear you made a decision for her comfort, not yours. One of the greatest gifts you can give, no matter how you may suffer.
Old 10-28-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So sorry for your loss. All of these cat threads break my heart, but it sounds like you gave her a good home and she was loved.
Old 10-29-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks again everyone for the kind words.

The worst part was when they gave Annie a sedative before the euthenasia: As soon as they gave her the shot, she screamed in pain, and flipped off the table. By the time, I got there to pick her up, the sedative had already kicked in, and she was pretty much chewing on her tongue. I have no idea is she broke anything, and felt pain at the end. That is what is going to haunt me for a while.

I am almost 35, never married, no kids, only child and live alone. She really was like a child to me. I will probably wind up adopting in the next few weeks, the apartment is too quiet, and it is best to honor her by giving the same love that I gave her to another cat.
I didn't let them give Thisbe a sedative first, and when she went in my arms, I started to wail as soon as I felt her slumping against me. I hate to think her last memory of life was me crying, but I couldn't help it. So I know how you feel.

I hope Annie and Thisbe are grooming each other, curled up in a sunny window, and exploring meadows together over the Rainbow Bridge. And I like your plan to adopt again. No hurry, but when you do, I'd suggest an adult cat (everyone wants to adopt kittens, which means adult cats who are otherwise adoptable end up euthanized for lack of space in shelters). In fact, I'd suggest two, so they can keep each other company ... but don't do like I did and end up with six.
Old 10-29-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

You sound like me, except I'm 40. My Teddy-cat is 14 years old, I've had her since she was 1 (I did like Vibs suggested and adopted her as a "young adult"), and she has been through EVERYTHING with me, including keeping me company on the long drive to move to CA 5 years ago.

I can't even imagine losing her, I will be beyond devastated. I am so sorry for your loss, and I don't have any words for you beyond hoping you know you really blessed Annie and gave her a wonderful life.

Old 11-12-10, 08:32 PM

Quick update: Last Friday, I went to the vet to finish paying off my bill. I asked about no- kill shelters, and they mentioned that they had two abandoned one year old males from the same litter. Someone dropped them off seven months ago, and they had been living at the vet ever since.

As of tonight, they are my new cats. It has been hard to get pics, as they have been exploring all night, but here they are (and newly named by me).

Hooper
Photobucket

Quint

Photobucket
Old 11-12-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice!
Old 11-12-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You da man!
Old 11-13-10, 10:13 AM

Really sorry to hear about your loss, and great to see that you picked up new lives to save. Back in August, our 11yr old kitty started doing a wobbling thing we couldn't explain. Took her to the vet and they said she's ok probably just feeling old. She's been fine ever since. But we went to the shelter and picked up another one so we would have her if something were to happen to our 11yr old. We cannot imagine being without her, she's older than my son. Having another already around may ease that when it eventually happens. Translation: good idea getting two!
Old 11-13-10, 03:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It has been a tough two weeks, but these two seem happy already. I promise this is the last pic that I will post of them (I still can't bring myself to look at pictures of Annie, but I think there are a couple of her in the post a pic of your pets thread.

Photobucket

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.