Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hernia?

Old 08-09-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Hernia?

Yeah, the first doc I saw couldn't diagnose it either. It wasn't until a few days later that it "pushed through" and became more pronounced that a doc could tell what it was.
Old 08-09-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yeah, the first doc I saw couldn't diagnose it either. It wasn't until a few days later that it "pushed through" and became more pronounced that a doc could tell what it was.
When I felt it, I was surprised to be honest. When the second doctor didn't see it, I kind of assumed that the first doctor was just hedging his bets with the hernia thing. Ya know, I'm an overweight guy and it was an injury that occurred while lifting. When I felt it, I had to have my wife come in and confirm that I wasn't just imagining it.
Old 08-09-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

better start wearing one of these until your doctors get their act together.

Old 08-09-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
When I felt it, I had to have my wife come in and confirm that I wasn't just imagining it.
I remember my first boner, too.
Old 08-09-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
I remember my first boner, too.
It truly was a magical time.
Old 08-10-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm back from this morning's appointment. The doctor said that the lump I'm feeling isn't a hernia but rather a pulled groin muscle. That lump is a knot in my muscles that needs to be worked out. I'm out of work for at least one more week. And I start physical therapy tomorrow. At any rate, I'm glad that it's not a hernia and relieved that I won't be facing surgery. I follow up with the doctor a week from today to see how the PT is going. I'm assuming that I'll most likely be released to work around then as well.
Old 09-24-10, 10:44 PM

Double hernia surgery scheduled for Monday morning. Right side will be third repair, first time for left side. Not looking forward to the surgery but looking forward to hopefully getting things fixed properly this time. I had been exercising since May when I went from 292 to 212 lbs. I thought maybe I had pulled something from all of the exercising but the surgeon said the exercising had nothing to do with this.
Old 09-24-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I'm back from this morning's appointment. The doctor said that the lump I'm feeling isn't a hernia but rather a pulled groin muscle. That lump is a knot in my muscles that needs to be worked out. I'm out of work for at least one more week. And I start physical therapy tomorrow. At any rate, I'm glad that it's not a hernia and relieved that I won't be facing surgery. I follow up with the doctor a week from today to see how the PT is going. I'm assuming that I'll most likely be released to work around then as well.
so.. did your doc massage out your groin knot for you?
Old 09-25-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
so.. did your doc massage out your groin knot for you?
The doctor didn't, but the physical therapist helped to. Between that and the exercises and stretches I was given to do, I was back to work after just a bit over a month of being out.
Old 09-26-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a kidney stone (!!!) earlier this year and the CT scan evaluator/technician determined that I also had a double fatty hernia; which doesn't necessarily require surgery. So I met with the surgeons and after their examinations, they told me the radiologist "over read" the results and I didn't have a hernia.
Did eventually have a cystocophy for the stone.
Old 09-26-10, 08:59 AM

I had two last year. Wish I had gone with the doc just cutting me along the groin rather than the laproscopic. I was out 6 weeks both times, though the second one was MUCH easier than the first. I wasn't able to lift anything heavy for about 10 weeks both times. My friend got one doing a stupid amount of weight on bent over rows, he got the incision rather than the laproscopic and was back jogging and lifting up to 25 lbs just 3 days after his. They used some sort of medical gorilla glue, no stitches or anything, and I envy his no recovery time.

Good to hear it was just a groin pull, Ed. Surgery is never fun. But remember, weight belts are your friend.
Old 09-26-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Memories ...

SNL Transcript

Mrs. Potter: What is all that stuff?

Fred Garvin: Oh, uh.. that's my rather elaborate network of trusses. I will need your help with a couple of these. I got the old hernia truss here.. and I got a spleen truss, it opens up with a couple of snaps here in the back..

Mrs. Potter: No, I don't think so.. you know, I.. I.. I think this is a little too much for me, I, uh..

Fred Garvin: No, no.. it's just a couple of snaps in the back. You know, you just gotta make sure you don't touch the rupture, that's all..

[ a knock at the door ]

Mrs. Potter: Who's that? Who's that?

Slick: It's Slick.

Mrs. Potter: Who's Slick?

Fred Garvin: Uh.. Slick. This takes a little explanation. You see.. Slick is a gentleman of leisure. He looks out for me and the girls. Uh.. be there in a jiffy, Slick! By the way, one good word from you would really put me in good with the boss.

Mrs. Potter: Okay.

Fred Garvin: [ opens door ] Hey, Slick!

Slick: [ enters, dressed a pimp ] There's my main man! I was down in the hallway, I thought you mind need some help with your trusses, baby.

Mrs. Potter: Oh, no, we don't need any help with his trusses. In fact, I think maybe you'd both better get out of here.

Slick: What's the matter, Miss? Hasn't Fred attended to your needs?

Mrs. Potter: Oh, no.. he's really attended to my needs.. [ Fred signals her ] He was wonderful! The earth moved! In fact, it moved so muich, I don't think I can take any more!

Slick: [ laughs ] That's my Fred! Yeah. He's my bread-and-butter man. You see, in my stable I got eight girls, and Fred. Come on, Fred, let's go, man. They got some hungry women in Bettendorf waiting for the Garvin Liza

Mrs. Potter: Fred? Fred? Fred, I just want to thank you for tonight. I'm never going to forget it.

Fred Garvin: Well, thank you, ma'am. I do what I can. Because I'm Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute.

Last edited by Vibiana; 09-26-10 at 03:39 PM.