Up early/late smoking a pig

Other Talk "Otterville"

Up early/late smoking a pig

Old 07-18-12, 02:31 PM
X
Administrator

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Got a couple pastrami turkey breasts in the smoker right now. It's an experiment, might be very good or really, really bad.
Old 07-23-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

And which was it, X?
Old 07-23-12, 04:13 PM
X
Administrator

Kind of in between. The inside of the turkey didn't actually get pastramied, but the outside did.

I used a dry rub on to cure the turkey (for 4 days) but should probably have used a brine. I see that people inject the ingredients that make it into a pastrami, probably because it doesn't get in by itself. Maybe it also had to do with putting the rub on the outside of the skin instead of under it.

So I ended up pretty much with some nice plain-inside turkey with a pastrami outside.
Old 07-24-12, 02:14 PM

Interesting. When my wife does corned beef (sort of a similar process to pastrami, I think), she uses a brine. I would think that's one of the most efficient ways to reach more of the inside of the bird. That, or injecting as you said.
Old 07-24-12, 02:29 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Interesting. When my wife does corned beef (sort of a similar process to pastrami, I think), she uses a brine. I would think that's one of the most efficient ways to reach more of the inside of the bird. That, or injecting as you said.
Yeah, corning beef uses a brine. But a dry rub pastramis it.
Old 07-24-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had another pig roast last weekend. 136 lb pig.
Old 07-25-12, 09:24 AM

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 07-25-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

a cropped pic...will have to find more later:

Old 07-26-12, 09:04 AM

Nice pig.
Old 07-31-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Going to Canada next week, the place we're staying has something like this - http://www.echolakelodge.com/wpeE2.jpg

My buddies want to smoke ribs, is it possible on something like that? Would charcoal even work? Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-12, 09:35 AM

I would think charcoal would work. You'd just want to set up an indirect cooking spot (coals on one side, meat on the other). It looks kinda small from the pic, but it might be possible.
Old 07-31-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's about 3'x2', I'm told. I think I'll make sure we have something like a steel rake to move coals around, to control the temp a bit.
Old 07-31-12, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Going to Canada next week, the place we're staying has something like this - http://www.echolakelodge.com/wpeE2.jpg

My buddies want to smoke ribs, is it possible on something like that? Would charcoal even work? Any suggestions?
i don't think it would work, too much air accessible. you'll more likely end up bbq'ing. unless you can some how close off open areas.
Old 08-01-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mole177 View Post
i don't think it would work, too much air accessible. you'll more likely end up bbq'ing. unless you can some how close off open areas.
Yeah I'm thinking this would be easiest (just BBQ them)...any tips in that department? I'm guessing they'll only take an hour or two? Should I take foil along and wrap them up part of the way through the cook?
Old 08-01-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Will it be charcoal (like a Weber) or a gas grill? Either way, you must set it up indirect (heat on one side, meat on the other). Something like this for a Weber (with a little water in the pan):

Dry rub them 4-8hrs before putting them on, put em in the fridge, then remove them an hour before the BBQ.

Try to keep your temp in the 225-250deg at highest. Start bone side down, flip after an hour to meat side down for an hour then flip back to bone side down for another hour.

After that it is the tongs test. Lift up the ribs and when the middle is almost 90deg to your tongs, they're done (like this pic).

Here's the most crucial part: RIBS ARE DONE WHEN THEY'RE DONE. Don't rush it, they'll let you know when they're ready to eat. The tongs test is your telltale sign.

After that, put them in the kitchen for 10min to let it cool slightly down and juices to relax then tear them sumbitches up!
Old 08-01-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Will it be charcoal (like a Weber) or a gas grill?
Something like this:

Old 01-09-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really guys? 5 months? I'm in WI, I have the weather as an excuse.

Anyways...thinking about getting an electric smoker. I know they're generally not highly thought of, but it also seems you can do a lot of much cooler smoking on them - cheeses, sausage, etc. Plus I like to smoke things for my parents, and for whatever reason things cooked with charcoal don't settle well with dad.

Bradley seems to be the best option in the ~$300 range? Anybody with experience with one?
Old 01-09-13, 11:46 PM
X
Administrator

I smoked a salmon tonight. It was sprinkling earlier today but cleared up. Very cold though, so it got a lot of smoke by the time it was done.

I've made smoked cheese as the smoker was going out after smoking something else. You have to be careful about it melting though. A low temperature smoker would be nice for that. And I'd like to get a low temperature smoker in order to make things like lox which requires smoking under 100 degrees. I was more thinking of something like this than an electric smoker. I have no idea what an electric smoker would be like.

Old 01-10-13, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 209 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by X View Post
I smoked a salmon tonight. It was sprinkling earlier today but cleared up. Very cold though, so it got a lot of smoke by the time it was done.

I've made smoked cheese as the smoker was going out after smoking something else. You have to be careful about it melting though. A low temperature smoker would be nice for that. And I'd like to get a low temperature smoker in order to make things like lox which requires smoking under 100 degrees. I was more thinking of something like this than an electric smoker. I have no idea what an electric smoker would be like.

If you go offset smoker like the one in the pic, do not go cheap. I had one for years and had to constantly fiddle with the vents, adding fuel, moving food around. Most have a hot spot near the fire box. The better ones (read expensive) are heavy built which means they are better insulated and minimize the hot spot.

Now, I didn't have a high end one, but moving to the Weber Smokey Mountain was the night and day. I love that thing.

Most electric smokers I have seen are the R2D2 (bullet) style. I don't know much about them. But you have to add wood to get them to smoke. So it isn't the smoke that bothers you dad? How do you know? Have you tried a different coal? I only use Kingsford Original with a chimney starter. But some prefer lump or "no additives" coal.

I bet I could keep my Weber down near 150 without much trouble. Maybe lower. I might have to try.

Edit; oh that off set is electric? Wow...fancy
Old 01-10-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Most electric smokers I have seen are the R2D2 (bullet) style. I don't know much about them. But you have to add wood to get them to smoke. So it isn't the smoke that bothers you dad? How do you know? Have you tried a different coal? I only use Kingsford Original with a chimney starter. But some prefer lump or "no additives" coal.

I bet I could keep my Weber down near 150 without much trouble. Maybe lower. I might have to try.

Edit; oh that off set is electric? Wow...fancy
I usually use Kingsford Original, but have also tried lump, same thing for him. I think it's something that's bugged him forever (and he just put up with it years ago when charcoal was the only way to grill out, just for our sake).

Something like this is what I was considering - http://www.amazon.com/Bradley-BTIS1-...bradley+smoker

Of course they have a problem with catching on fire. But I imagine that's one of those deals where if somebody has a problem they review it, but not nearly as high of a percentage of people who are happy with it will review.
Old 01-10-13, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Really guys? 5 months? I'm in WI, I have the weather as an excuse.

Anyways...thinking about getting an electric smoker. I know they're generally not highly thought of, but it also seems you can do a lot of much cooler smoking on them - cheeses, sausage, etc. Plus I like to smoke things for my parents, and for whatever reason things cooked with charcoal don't settle well with dad.

Bradley seems to be the best option in the ~$300 range? Anybody with experience with one?
Boooooo!

I haven't done anything with the smoker since Thanksgiving. The weather has been warming up around here (into the mid-to-high-30's, whee!), so I'm getting the itch to smoke again. Keep meaning to do a brisket. That may be my next project.
Old 01-10-13, 01:23 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I haven't done anything with the smoker since Thanksgiving. The weather has been warming up around here (into the mid-to-high-30's, whee!), so I'm getting the itch to smoke again. Keep meaning to do a brisket. That may be my next project.
Brisket is a tough one to do in cold weather unless you finish it in the oven.
Old 01-10-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I smoked a salmon for the fiesta bowl this year. I think it was only in the upper 30s but it still turned out good. I "cheat" though since I have an electric smoker. This is the one I have and I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357848244&sr=1-1&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker
Old 01-10-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

On another note, does anyone here do chicken quarters? I haven't done them yet but thinking of doing it Saturday for a little party. Everything I read on the net says around 300 for a couple hours to make the skin right and 170 meat temp. I've got cherry, apple, and hickory wood. Was thinking to use the apple smoke and a rub I have. Any thoughts or pointers?
Old 01-10-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
I smoked a salmon for the fiesta bowl this year. I think it was only in the upper 30s but it still turned out good. I "cheat" though since I have an electric smoker. This is the one I have and I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357848244&sr=1-1&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker
One of my buddies has one of these, and he really likes it. I was going to get one, too, but am still putting it off. I like the idea of having a constant temperature that I don't have to mess with, or the chance of running out of fuel. I'm kind of lazy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.