DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Does anyone on here suffer from Psoriasis? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/561062-does-anyone-here-suffer-psoriasis.html)

dsa_shea 09-07-09 12:42 AM

Does anyone on here suffer from Psoriasis?

I have had psoriasis for the past ten plus years. I have it on my face, scalp, knees and other places. I was wondering who else on here suffers from this crap disease and what you do to help aleviate the symptoms. I went on methotrexate for a few months but it made me feel ragged so I told my dermatologist that I didn;t feel comfortable continuing with it. I also didn't want to have a liver biopsy every so often. Now I use an ointment (Taclonex) but have found that if I use it for more than a couple of days in a row it loses it effectiveness. I basically have to let my skin breakout for a few days before the medicine would then bring be capable of bringing it back to a semi normal state. Just wondering if anyone can share what they do.

kvrdave 09-07-09 12:54 AM

Re: Does anyone on here suffer from Psoriasis?

Wow, I'll not bitch about mine. I have a small spot on my middle knuckle that is smaller than a dime. But it vexes me. I use some hydrocortizone ointment.

dsa_shea 09-07-09 01:01 AM

Still a pain no matter how much you have or where it is. The weird thing is how it affects one part (or parts) of your body while leaving most of the rest alone.

chino77 09-07-09 02:40 AM

my grandfather has it pretty bad and he uses bag balm...its udder cream for cows. sounds strange but i think its well known for psoriasis. anyways it supposedly works really good. i have it too but not very bad. its just on my scalp and my "goatee" area. luckily its just a little flaky on my face sometimes. its not a thick build up. even the little i have sucks though. i am dreading when/if it spreads.

Abelkems 09-07-09 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by chino77 (Post 9692839)
my grandfather has it pretty bad and he uses bag balm...its udder cream for cows. sounds strange but i think its well known for psoriasis.

I have a friend who swears by Bag Balm. She uses it on everything from scrapes and burns to syphilis and leprosy.

mh4268 09-07-09 07:36 AM

I have it. I have it in the scalp, knees/elbows, and a lot on my back. I had inverse psoriasis around the waist (this makes the skin super sensitive to the touch and even break open). I just recently had joint pain in a thumb and my knee, I am hoping that it is not psoriatic arthritis.

For treatment I use clobetasol foam and dovonex. Basically the foam is nice because you can use it in scalp and anywhere. The dovonex is to basically maintain since you can't use a high potency steroid for more than 2 weeks in a row.

I have contemplated getting on Enbrel, but I am wary of it since it lowers the immune system. I work in a pharmacy and have to deal with sick people all day and having a lower immune system would probably be a bad thing. The OP must have it bad to be on a harsh drug like methotrexate, maybe you should talk to your dermatologist about Enbrel or similar drugs.

dsa_shea 09-07-09 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mh4268 (Post 9692911)
I have it. I have it in the scalp, knees/elbows, and a lot on my back. I had inverse psoriasis around the waist (this makes the skin super sensitive to the touch and even break open). I just recently had joint pain in a thumb and my knee, I am hoping that it is not psoriatic arthritis.

For treatment I use clobetasol foam and dovonex. Basically the foam is nice because you can use it in scalp and anywhere. The dovonex is to basically maintain since you can't use a high potency steroid for more than 2 weeks in a row.

I have contemplated getting on Enbrel, but I am wary of it since it lowers the immune system. I work in a pharmacy and have to deal with sick people all day and having a lower immune system would probably be a bad thing. The OP must have it bad to be on a harsh drug like methotrexate, maybe you should talk to your dermatologist about Enbrel or similar drugs.

I was only on methotrexate for a few months as it made me feel like crap and I would rather deal with the symptoms than feel worn down. I did talk with my dermatologist and she wanted to put me on Enbrel but my insurance wouldn't cover it. Instead they wanted me to go to some UV treatment 3-4 times a week. Now, what working person that doesn't have a possibly terminal illness has the time (and money) to do this? I basically declined that as the UV treatment is just another way to subside the symptoms and doesn't do much more than ointments. I can imagine that I would have been paying out of pocket at least part of every visit for treatment. The fact that there are many of us that spend good money to have insurance to be denied necessary treatment goes to show that there needs to be a huge reform in medicine in our country.

MANBREASTS 09-07-09 03:14 PM

I have had it for about 5 years, Iv'e tried a few creams but have been leary about getting pills for it

Living Dead 09-07-09 03:23 PM

This is probably going to sound like hippy crap, but you might want to check these out: http://www.mountainspringsoaps.com/prod2.htm

I have excema rather than psoriasis, but they are similar. I bought some of these soaps at a shop in Gatlinburg, TN a few years back because I was desperate and was told it was good for excema. After using them for several weeks, I discovered that the excema on my hands faded and didn't itch as much. I've used them for the last 2 years and haven't had a serious breakout since, and that's a LONG time for me. I use them in combination with an over the counter moisturizer called phisoderm http://www.phisoderm.com/daily_moist.html

Again, I use it for excema, but for a couple bucks you might want to take a chance. I use the first and last soap at the link, never tried the middle one. Give it at least a month to notice a change.

DeputyDave 09-07-09 03:28 PM

I had it as a kid and teen on both feet (ankles mostly), it went away in my 20's. In my late 30's it came back on my right big toe and my left "index" toe.

Johnny Fever 09-07-09 05:43 PM

Never had psoriasis but I had severe eczema growing up that lasted until the age of 18. As Living Dead mentioned, they are similar. Up until 18, I had tried various creams, UV treatments and other types of therapy my dermatologist had recommended to me. Nothing worked and it got progressively worst year after year. I never thought that it would go away but then my mom suggested acupuncture. I didn't think it would work but I tried it anyway. During the first consultation, the acupuncturist suggested that I cut out the following foods: Milk, Eggs, Barley and Tomatoes. It was hard to cut off my favorite foods but within a month, my eczema was all gone.

So perhaps, you might want to look into an food elimination diet to see if that has any positive affects on your skin?

mosquitobite 09-07-09 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Fever (Post 9693674)
So perhaps, you might want to look into an food elimination diet to see if that has any positive affects on your skin?

Yep, some recent research believes they are possibly food allergy related. When you think about autoimmune disorders and your body attacking itself, it makes somewhat sense it might be related to something you're eating. And lucky for you there's already a celiac thread going!

(I was going to mention cutting out gluten for a month or so to see if it helps)

Diet change should be an easy way to see if its something you're eating that is causing the severity.

DeputyDave 09-07-09 06:49 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rkjY6YI8I9o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rkjY6YI8I9o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

al_bundy 09-07-09 08:13 PM

i used to get really bad rashes starting in the fall. years ago i switched to 100% vegetable soap and they went away without any meds. never had them since

Blade 09-08-09 03:57 AM

I have had psoriasis for 30+ years. Scalp, face, elbows, arms, legs, trunk...just small patches though, worst area was my scalp, but for the most part it didn't affect me much as aside from never wearing shorts, it just looked like dandruff if I wasn't careful.

Did the light treatments (worked pretty well), but mostly have used the creams and shampoos to varying degrees of effectiveness.

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 20 years ago, and about 5 or 7 years ago it started giving me enough problems that I had to start taking anti inflammatories for that too.

About two years ago, it got to the point where I was maxing out celebrex, so they tried to put me on methotrexate, but that spiked my liver numbers with the first treatment.

Next thing they tried was Humira. Been pretty much pain free AND psoriasis free since them. I don't know if they prescribe it just for psoriasis, but it's been pretty amazing for me. I feel the occasional rough spot on my scalp now and then, but compared to what I had before, it's like nothing. It's an injection you give yourself every 2 weeks. Other than that, I've had no side effects. It affects your body's auto immune response, so you're more susceptible to colds and what not, but it basically means you should get your flu and pneumonia shots. Also, if you've had TB before they will monitor you for that very closely.

Good luck.

flashburn 09-08-09 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 9694341)
Next thing they tried was Humira. Been pretty much pain free AND psoriasis free since them. I don't know if they prescribe it just for psoriasis, but it's been pretty amazing for me. I feel the occasional rough spot on my scalp now and then, but compared to what I had before, it's like nothing. It's an injection you give yourself every 2 weeks. Other than that, I've had no side effects. It affects your body's auto immune response, so you're more susceptible to colds and what not, but it basically means you should get your flu and pneumonia shots. Also, if you've had TB before they will monitor you for that very closely.

Good luck.

I've had a pretty moderate case of psoriasis for the past 10 years or so. I tried pretty much everything and only had some okay success with alleviating it with a few different creams. The one thing that has drastically helped me is Humira. I started taking it maybe 8 months ago, and after the first treatment I saw a marked improvement in less than a week. I visited my doctor for a checkup a month after my first injection and he was amazed at how quickly it helped me, since he has been treating me for 3-4 years now. I haven't had any side-effects (that I've noticed at least) from Humira. I think it completely cleared me up after a little over a month after my first injection.

drcoreyw 09-14-09 01:25 PM

There is a new technology called the bax-3000. It is used to "reprogram your nervous system" to not react to harmless substance. I have been using it successfully with all types of allergies and sensitivities.
Allergies don't cause everything but can cause anything.
I have had 12 psoriasis patients in the last 6 months. 8 resolved fully, 2 had a significant reduction of breakouts and discomfort and 2 had no change.
You might want to find a center that performs this.